Forum Administration > Forum Announcements

Quoting & editing another post within your reply (excluding mods)

(1/13) > >>

JenJay:
I tried to search and see if this was already covered but variations of "editing" bring up a lot of content. I apologize if this has been covered and I missed it. (If so can someone link me, please?)

I've noticed from time to time that a poster will quote and edit a previous post to strike out the part(s) they disagree with and insert their own opinion, sometimes adding "fixed that for ya", instead of replying and saying "I disagree. I think..." Is there an official rule that this is or is not okay? If someone edits your post is it okay to ask them not to, or does that fall under "different posting styles" and should be accepted?

To be clear, I don't mean the times when the OP has asked for editing help or it's obviously meant to be a joke, let's say I post "Brad Pitt is so handsome. I'd like to meet him." And someone will quote my post but change it to "Brad Pitt is so handsome. I'd like to meet smooch him.' Fixed that!  >:D"

I'm talking about the times where person A will post "My neighbors are noisy. What should I do?", person B replies "I would talk to them." then person C replies  "I would talk to them the police.' Fixed that for ya!" When that's happened to me I'm not sure if I should say "Thanks but no, I wouldn't call the police.", ask person C to remove the edited quote and state their opinion outright or ignore it.

Outdoor Girl:

--- Quote from: JenJay on January 23, 2013, 02:47:51 PM ---I'm talking about the times where person A will post "My neighbors are noisy. What should I do?", person B replies "I would talk to them." then person C replies  "I would talk to them the police.' Fixed that for ya!" When that's happened to me I'm not sure if I should say "Thanks but no, I wouldn't call the police.", ask person C to remove the edited quote and state their opinion outright or ignore it.

--- End quote ---

I haven't seen this done but I agree with you that this shouldn't happen.  I have no problem with the editing one or the joking one.

NyaChan:
I don't like the last one either.  It is as if the editor is deliberately dismissing whatever the other poster said.  IMO, if you have a different opinion, write it out yourself.

lowspark:
I've not seen that done either. I've definitely seen the joking one lots of times but it's obvious it's a joke. I've really never seen any one actually change the meaning of a previous post in such a way as to imply that the original poster was somehow stating an opinion that the subsequent poster felt was wrong. I agree that's not cool. Maybe you can give an example?

JenJay:

--- Quote from: lowspark on January 23, 2013, 03:29:20 PM ---I've not seen that done either. I've definitely seen the joking one lots of times but it's obvious it's a joke. I've really never seen any one actually change the meaning of a previous post in such a way as to imply that the original poster was somehow stating an opinion that the subsequent poster felt was wrong. I agree that's not cool. Maybe you can give an example?

--- End quote ---

I'd rather not because I'd hate to "call someone out" when it's just clarification I'm after. It's happened to me a couple of times and I deliberately waited a little while so that the people who used my quote wouldn't feel singled out. I've seen it before and after my own posts, though.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version