Author Topic: Quoting & editing another post within your reply (excluding mods)  (Read 7152 times)

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
I tried to search and see if this was already covered but variations of "editing" bring up a lot of content. I apologize if this has been covered and I missed it. (If so can someone link me, please?)

I've noticed from time to time that a poster will quote and edit a previous post to strike out the part(s) they disagree with and insert their own opinion, sometimes adding "fixed that for ya", instead of replying and saying "I disagree. I think..." Is there an official rule that this is or is not okay? If someone edits your post is it okay to ask them not to, or does that fall under "different posting styles" and should be accepted?

To be clear, I don't mean the times when the OP has asked for editing help or it's obviously meant to be a joke, let's say I post "Brad Pitt is so handsome. I'd like to meet him." And someone will quote my post but change it to "Brad Pitt is so handsome. I'd like to meet smooch him.' Fixed that!  >:D"

I'm talking about the times where person A will post "My neighbors are noisy. What should I do?", person B replies "I would talk to them." then person C replies  "I would talk to them the police.' Fixed that for ya!" When that's happened to me I'm not sure if I should say "Thanks but no, I wouldn't call the police.", ask person C to remove the edited quote and state their opinion outright or ignore it.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
Re: Quoting & editing another post within your reply (excluding mods)
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 03:06:48 PM »
I'm talking about the times where person A will post "My neighbors are noisy. What should I do?", person B replies "I would talk to them." then person C replies  "I would talk to them the police.' Fixed that for ya!" When that's happened to me I'm not sure if I should say "Thanks but no, I wouldn't call the police.", ask person C to remove the edited quote and state their opinion outright or ignore it.

I haven't seen this done but I agree with you that this shouldn't happen.  I have no problem with the editing one or the joking one.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

NyaChan

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 03:27:23 PM »
I don't like the last one either.  It is as if the editor is deliberately dismissing whatever the other poster said.  IMO, if you have a different opinion, write it out yourself.

lowspark

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 03:29:20 PM »
I've not seen that done either. I've definitely seen the joking one lots of times but it's obvious it's a joke. I've really never seen any one actually change the meaning of a previous post in such a way as to imply that the original poster was somehow stating an opinion that the subsequent poster felt was wrong. I agree that's not cool. Maybe you can give an example?

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 03:35:08 PM »
I've not seen that done either. I've definitely seen the joking one lots of times but it's obvious it's a joke. I've really never seen any one actually change the meaning of a previous post in such a way as to imply that the original poster was somehow stating an opinion that the subsequent poster felt was wrong. I agree that's not cool. Maybe you can give an example?

I'd rather not because I'd hate to "call someone out" when it's just clarification I'm after. It's happened to me a couple of times and I deliberately waited a little while so that the people who used my quote wouldn't feel singled out. I've seen it before and after my own posts, though.

LazyDaisy

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 03:50:48 PM »
I've seen it done when people seem to be writing a script for the OP. Someone will start off:

OP: This is what I want to say, "I would prefer you stop doing that."
Poster 1: I think that's too passive and they won't listen, I would suggest this, "I would prefer want you to stop doing that."
Poster 2: Oh but I think then they could argue. I would say this, "I would prefer you stop doing that."

If one poster begins the "script" then I think others are responding to the OP rather than making a direct critique of the poster. I hope that makes sense. I don't think it's rude.

In the "I fixed that for you," I've seen it used as a joke or when there was a funny typo or misuse of a word. I think that this can sometimes come across as rude if the intent is to embarrass, or make light during a serious discussion.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

JenJay

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2013, 03:58:55 PM »
I've seen it done when people seem to be writing a script for the OP. Someone will start off:

OP: This is what I want to say, "I would prefer you stop doing that."
Poster 1: I think that's too passive and they won't listen, I would suggest this, "I would prefer want you to stop doing that."
Poster 2: Oh but I think then they could argue. I would say this, "I would prefer you stop doing that."

If one poster begins the "script" then I think others are responding to the OP rather than making a direct critique of the poster. I hope that makes sense. I don't think it's rude.

In the "I fixed that for you," I've seen it used as a joke or when there was a funny typo or misuse of a word. I think that this can sometimes come across as rude if the intent is to embarrass, or make light during a serious discussion.

I agree that it's fine when the OP has asked for editing help, I've done that myself. I'm talking about in a regular, ongoing discussion, and someone disagrees with your post. Rather than quote you and start their reply "I disagree" they will quote you, strike out what they disagree with, then start their reply by explaining why they feel the way they do.

It's funny because I've seen it done and not thought it was so bad, but other times I've seen it and thought "Yikes. If I was the quoted poster I wouldn't appreciate that." One of the times it happened to my post it did bother me, as NyaChan said, I felt like my opinion/advice was being completely disregarded (And I actually stood by my post and thought it was valid advice, so I admit it was annoying to have chunks of it stricken.)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 04:07:03 PM by JenJay »

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2013, 04:01:04 PM »
This doesn't change the meaning the way JenJay's example did but using the quote function and inserting your wording, makes it look like someone else said something they didn't.

Why not just quote the post:

"I would prefer you stop doing that."

And write underneath, 'I think that's too passive and they won't listen.  I would suggest, "I want you to stop doing that."
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Jones

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2013, 04:02:36 PM »
I've seen it, and it bothered me, so I'm posting here for any official update. I remember once when someone said "please don't rephrase my post, that isn't what I meant and posted what I meant" and the rephraser apologized. I thought that was a good way to handle it.

SiotehCat

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2013, 04:10:50 PM »
I have seen what the OP is talking about. I don't think its ever happened to me, but I have seen it happen to others.

I often wonder if it bothers the person its being done to, but I figure they might be on friendlier terms then I know.

LazyDaisy

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2013, 04:11:20 PM »
This doesn't change the meaning the way JenJay's example did but using the quote function and inserting your wording, makes it look like someone else said something they didn't.

Why not just quote the post:

"I would prefer you stop doing that."

And write underneath, 'I think that's too passive and they won't listen.  I would suggest, "I want you to stop doing that."

The sentence I used was only an easy example, but when I've seen edits inside of a long quote, it's usually because retyping the whole thing to change a word or phrase here and there is time consuming and difficult on smaller screens. There are posters that are using mobile devices rather than desktop computers.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

JenJay

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2013, 04:12:16 PM »
I've seen it, and it bothered me, so I'm posting here for any official update. I remember once when someone said "please don't rephrase my post, that isn't what I meant and posted what I meant" and the rephraser apologized. I thought that was a good way to handle it.

That is good, I'll remember that! The one time I needed to I said something like "Actually, I gave OP that advice because..." and explained my thought a bit further. The other times I wasn't sure how to respond so I didn't.

oceanus

• pronounced o-see-ANN-us
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2013, 09:21:25 PM »
I'm glad you brought this up, JenJay.  I don't like it, and I don't need help rewriting my post.  Sometimes people post their edits in red and use the strikethrough, as if that gives them validation or whatever.   ::)  I usually will remind them that when/if I need their help with expressing my opinion, I'll ask.   ;)

Just quote my post, then disagree, and we can discuss/take it from there.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 12:37:28 PM by oceanus »

Judah

• California, U.S.A
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2013, 09:54:52 PM »
I've had it done to me and I asked the "correcting" poster to not do it.  It really bothers me. I don't need someone to "fix" my thoughts for me, and if I did, I'd ask for help.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 09:57:04 PM by Judah »
Ask for what you want. Let's be clear on this one:
Subtle hints don't work.
Strong hints don't work.
Really obvious hints don't work.
Just say it!

-The Car Talk Guys

greencat

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2013, 10:01:45 PM »
I don't mind seeing this done in the humor threads - where it is clearly a joke.

Someone did it to one of my posts today in an advice thread - and I was not happy, but the thread had moved on significantly and I didn't want to derail it to deal with the person putting words in my mouth.