Author Topic: Quoting & editing another post within your reply (excluding mods)  (Read 7428 times)

jmarvellous

Re: Quoting & editing another post within your reply (excluding mods)
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2013, 10:13:18 PM »
I don't like this in humorous threads or serious ones, and I think I've said as much at least once.

I guess the "I'm funnier/cleverer/more succinct than you" point can be brought across much more politely than with the editing approach.

Maybe I'm more sensitive to it because when I edit people's work (or have mine edited), it's often an ego-impacting thing no matter the editor's intent, so I try to conduct myself as politely as possible.

Iris

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2013, 02:02:45 AM »
I think it depends on the manner in which it is done. Firstly, I think "Fixed that for you" should only ever be used to make a joke or look at the situation in a lighthearted way. Far too arrogant to be used in a serious post.

Secondly, I think if someone has made a lengthy post and the 'editor' has changed a word or two here or there followed by a comment that says "I think this is a great idea! I would change these couple of words to make it more friendly/unfriendly/succinct/whatever, what do you think?" then that is reasonable to me. That is, it's taking someones idea and politely suggesting a way that you think it might be developed, and you are obviously open to be disagreed with.

Thirdly, if the majority of the post or the central idea/approach of the post has been drastically changed then I think it's really not on. If it is done to disagree with someone then I think it is rude - write your own post. You can quote them and then say "I disagree with this post for X reason. I think it would be better to say blah blah blah."

Having said that, it's never happened to me nor have I (to my recollection) done it to someone else so this is a relative 'outside perspective' fwiw.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2013, 02:34:30 AM »
I've done it when people get the characters in a story mixed up. Let's say the story is about Ann doing something rude to Beth. A poster will come along and mix up the names and reply
"I can't believe Beth would do something like that to Ann."

In that case - if I am quoting the post - I'll fix the names and then in my first sentence write something along the lines of "Names changed to fit with the OP". I don't think I'm being rude in doing that, but I grant that the situation is slightly different from the OP.

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2013, 07:24:05 PM »
I've seen it, and it bothered me, so I'm posting here for any official update. I remember once when someone said "please don't rephrase my post, that isn't what I meant and posted what I meant" and the rephraser apologized. I thought that was a good way to handle it.

I think that was me  :-[  I thought I was doing what others had done and that it was something that was acceptable.  I learned that it was not, and I definitely won't be doing that again.  There was something I was missing between how others were doing it and how I did it.  I still haven't figured out what that is, but I've decided I'd rather not know so that in case I get it wrong again, I won't anger/upset/embarrass anyone, including myself.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2013, 10:11:36 PM »
I've only seen it done in a light-hearted way. Doesn't bother me one bit.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

JoieGirl7

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2013, 02:02:57 AM »
I think its safe to say that hen someone uses red text or crosses out things and says "There, fixed that for you.."  it is very obvious that the original has been changed.

While its annoying, I don't think there is anything sneaky about it.  And doing anything other than ignoring it tends to get the thread off track.  The most I would suggest is to quote the butchered quote and say that you don't agree.

But, this is not a case of someone changing a posters words in an effort to fool others that their opinion is other than what it is.  When something is restated and not restated well then someone can objet, -- its aboit clarifying the issues and not about a particular poster behavior.

I believe that sometimes people intend to make a joke and it falls flat.  Hard to make a rule against having a dull sense of humor.

Tea Drinker

• Now part of Team Land Crab
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2013, 02:12:13 PM »
Would it be a problem to change obvious small typos if I'm quoting someone? I'm thinking of things like a post or comment saying "probelms" instead of "problems," where the intended meaning was already clear and I'd be changing it mostly for tidiness?
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2013, 02:14:08 PM »
Would it be a problem to change obvious small typos if I'm quoting someone? I'm thinking of things like a post or comment saying "probelms" instead of "problems," where the intended meaning was already clear and I'd be changing it mostly for tidiness?

While I can see the want to do that, that seems overly controlling to me.  I know that's not the intent, but that's how it comes across.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2013, 02:18:59 PM »
I've seen it, and it bothered me, so I'm posting here for any official update. I remember once when someone said "please don't rephrase my post, that isn't what I meant and posted what I meant" and the rephraser apologized. I thought that was a good way to handle it.

I think that was me  :-[  I thought I was doing what others had done and that it was something that was acceptable.  I learned that it was not, and I definitely won't be doing that again.  There was something I was missing between how others were doing it and how I did it.  I still haven't figured out what that is, but I've decided I'd rather not know so that in case I get it wrong again, I won't anger/upset/embarrass anyone, including myself.

I doubt that you missed anything. I had it done to me once and while I didn't say anything about it it really annoyed me. I didn't say anything because I couldn't think of a way to protest and still be polite and by the time I thought of something the thread had moved on.

Giggity

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2013, 02:53:23 PM »

I don't think it's a problem, in that the software allows it. I don't think it's particularly polite.
Words mean things.

Perfect Circle

• Birdie in the hand for life's rich demand
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2013, 02:54:35 PM »

I don't think it's a problem, in that the software allows it. I don't think it's particularly polite.

I would find that very rude. Typos happen. Correcting them is pointing it out regardless of your intentions.
There's a secret stigma, reaping wheel.
Diminish, a carnival of sorts.
Chronic town, poster torn, reaping wheel.
Stranger, stranger to these parts.

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2013, 02:56:11 PM »
I typically only edit or use the strikethrough when I'm taking part in a post that is asking for help in drafting an email/letter/phrase etc.  Otherwise, I assume that whomever wrote the post I'm quoting is of sound mind and knew exactly what they were writing.

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2013, 03:59:18 PM »

I would find that very rude. Typos happen. Correcting them is pointing it out regardless of your intentions.

I sometimes accidentally correct the OP because the spell-check pulls it up and I thought the misspelled word is mine so I click the button to change it.  I always start over because I don't feel comfortable having someone else's word corrected because they may think I'm being PA or superior or something like that.

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2013, 04:55:30 PM »
I liked the one where the OP found a stray cat and said "I have four cats" and someone corrected it to five cats because it was obvious the newcomer was making himself at home and sneaking into her affections.  ;D

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2013, 05:08:48 PM »

I sometimes accidentally correct the OP because the spell-check pulls it up and I thought the misspelled word is mine so I click the button to change it.  I always start over because I don't feel comfortable having someone else's word corrected because they may think I'm being PA or superior or something like that.

I have done that, too; but i forget when. Maybe using my iPhone? I know my usual computers don't do that. I was embarassed, but i had already posted it and by the time i realized it going back and re-editing the errors back in ... well, that would be even worse, i think. Typing that out it sounds kind of funny, but i was redfaced at the time. At least y'all can't see me  :)
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem