Author Topic: Quoting & editing another post within your reply (excluding mods)  (Read 6970 times)

onyonryngs

Re: Quoting & editing another post within your reply (excluding mods)
« Reply #45 on: February 08, 2013, 11:09:37 AM »
I feel that not fixing it draws attention to it. As in "Look, look, look! I'm quoting something with a spelling error!!!" Whereas fixing it makes a polite fiction that it never happened in the first place.

See, and I feel like ignoring the typo and pretending I didn't see it makes the polite fiction, while fixing it makes it absolutely clear that I saw it.

POD.  You don't "fix" someone's post unless you've been asked to help specifically with editing a letter.  It's just comes across as smug.

perpetua

« Reply #46 on: February 08, 2013, 11:16:37 AM »
^^ This.

There's no possible way to correct a typo in a quote without it reading as 'I know better than you', and that's wrong.

Perfect Circle

• Birdie in the hand for life's rich demand
« Reply #47 on: February 08, 2013, 11:19:51 AM »
I agree. This also isn't a language forum and editing someone else's posts just seems like an attempt at educating them.
There's a secret stigma, reaping wheel.
Diminish, a carnival of sorts.
Chronic town, poster torn, reaping wheel.
Stranger, stranger to these parts.

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #48 on: February 08, 2013, 11:51:01 AM »
I Still vehemently disagree (and am sad that such uncharitable motives are ascribed to me when I have explained why I'd correct typos and it's got nothing at all to do with wanting to "educate them"), but I can see we shall just have to agree to disagree :)

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

onyonryngs

« Reply #49 on: February 08, 2013, 12:06:36 PM »
I Still vehemently disagree (and am sad that such uncharitable motives are ascribed to me when I have explained why I'd correct typos and it's got nothing at all to do with wanting to "educate them"), but I can see we shall just have to agree to disagree :)

You may still disagree, but would you continue to correct posts knowing that so many people believe that it's rude? 

Moray

• My hovercraft is full of eels!
« Reply #50 on: February 08, 2013, 12:06:43 PM »
I Sstill vehemently disagree (and am sad that such uncharitable motives are ascribed to me when I have explained why I'd correct typos and it's got nothing at all to do with wanting to "educate them"), but I can see we shall just have to agree to disagree. :)

Do you really not see how something like the above, regardless of intention, comes off as condescending? This isn't about intent. This is about perception.

It hurts nothing to let someone else's post go by with an incorrect homonym, misspelling, or grammatical error; however, if you correct any of those things, even unobtrusively, you run the risk of offending someone. It simply isn't nice.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 12:08:19 PM by Moray »
Utah

MariaE

« Reply #51 on: February 08, 2013, 12:42:24 PM »
I still vehemently disagree (and am sad that such uncharitable motives are ascribed to me when I have explained why I'd correct typos and it's got nothing at all to do with wanting to "educate them"), but I can see we shall just have to agree to disagree. :)

Do you really not see how something like the above, regardless of intention, comes off as condescending? This isn't about intent. This is about perception.

If I correct a typo, I don't point it out. I'd just quietly correct it like above. Because I agree, what you did would be rude and condescending (note, not calling you either, I knew you were just making an example), and most definitely not be a "polite fiction" that the typo never happened in the first place.

You may still disagree, but would you continue to correct posts knowing that so many people believe that it's rude? 

Not on purpose. I may forget as it's become such an ingrained habit of mine. But if I remember (and I promise I'll try!) I'll just refrain from using the quote feature. Since I, personally, think it's unkind of me to notice a typo and embarrass the poster by repeating it, I think that's the best compromise :)

(Emphasising that it's a personal quirk, and I don't think it's unkind of anybody else to notice a typo and not correct it... although I hope they would do me the kindness and correct mine, since I'll try to do them the kindness and not correct theirs. I don't actually expect that to happen though, as it would be impossible to remember who wants what.)

thedudeabides

« Reply #52 on: February 08, 2013, 12:46:48 PM »
What difference does a typo make in teh grand scheme of things? Why would you feel compelled to correct it if it doesn't hurt comprehension?

MariaE

« Reply #53 on: February 08, 2013, 12:49:18 PM »
I don't feel compelled to correct it if I don't quote it :)

I feel it is a kindness to correct it if I am quoting it, as it seems rude to me to knowingly repeat another person's error.

I realize I'm in the minority here though (although I'm glad to see I'm not totally alone :D ), so I will do my best to stop doing it.

Moray

• My hovercraft is full of eels!
« Reply #54 on: February 08, 2013, 12:53:42 PM »
I still vehemently disagree (and am sad that such uncharitable motives are ascribed to me when I have explained why I'd correct typos and it's got nothing at all to do with wanting to "educate them"), but I can see we shall just have to agree to disagree. :)

If I correct a typo, I don't point it out. I'd just quietly correct it like above. Because I agree, what you did would be rude and condescending (note, not calling you either, I knew you were just making an example), and most definitely not be a "polite fiction" that the typo never happened in the first place.

You'll note that I said "even unobtrusively". The result is the same; it comes off as smug and superior.

What I don't understand is how you can sit there saying "I don't do it to be rude, so it's fine!" when so many of us are telling you that it comes off as offensive, condescending, and smug? So frequently on this site, we talk about how rude; how very, very rude it is when others do and say hurtful things, and how their conviction that they're totally fine because they don't see the problem doesn't negate that rudeness.
Utah

cass2591

• Global Moderator
« Reply #55 on: February 08, 2013, 12:56:16 PM »
It's a typo. We're not talking about correcting misinformation, but a typo. Leave them be. I agree that it's rude to change anyone's post in this manner and no, it's not a kindness to do something like that publicly.
There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened. ~ Mark Twain

Adopting a pet won't change the world, but it will change the world for that pet.

MariaE

« Reply #56 on: February 08, 2013, 01:01:40 PM »
You'll note that I said "even unobtrusively". The result is the same; it comes off as smug and superior.
I disagree, but I've agreed to disagree and follow the majority.

What I don't understand is how you can sit there saying "I don't do it to be rude, so it's fine!" when so many of us are telling you that it comes off as offensive, condescending, and smug? So frequently on this site, we talk about how rude; how very, very rude it is when others do and say hurtful things, and how their conviction that they're totally fine because they don't see the problem doesn't negate that rudeness.

That's not what I'm saying though. I'm saying "I don't do it to be rude, I disagree that it's rude, but I see I'm in the minority, so I'll stop doing it. Since I meant it as a kindness, it would defeat the purpose to continue since I don't know whether the person would appreciate it or not". Since etiquette is about what we do, not what we think I can disagree all I want, as long as my behaviour follows the general consensus :)

MariaE

« Reply #57 on: February 08, 2013, 01:05:20 PM »
It's a typo. We're not talking about correcting misinformation, but a typo. Leave them be. I agree that it's rude to change anyone's post in this manner and no, it's not a kindness to do something like that publicly.

It's a kindness to me :) Assuming it's done unobtrusively of course. I get embarrassed when I see I've made a typo and return to correct it, so I appreciate it when other people do it for me when quoting me.

I realize I'm pretty alone in this though, and like I've already said, I'll stop doing it :)

Surianne

• Super Hero!
    • Prince ShimmerShine Moondream's Blogging Adventure
« Reply #58 on: February 09, 2013, 07:03:07 PM »

It's a kindness to me :) Assuming it's done unobtrusively of course. I get embarrassed when I see I've made a typo and return to correct it, so I appreciate it when other people do it for me when quoting me.

I realize I'm pretty alone in this though, and like I've already said, I'll stop doing it :)

Hah, if it helps, I agree with you 100%.  One of those things I never in a million years would think of as rude, and I was very surprised at the unkind assumptions being made about our motivations.  I feel like a simple "I prefer that other posters not fix my typos when quoting me, please, it bothers me" would have been more polite, but it's funny how perceptions differ, eh? 

So: Maria and I will continue to fix each other's typos, but no one else's  :D

Betelnut

« Reply #59 on: February 09, 2013, 07:21:22 PM »
Oh wow, I didn't realize people thought that it was rude.  I usually run the spell check feature and just automatically correct everything that comes up as a typo whether it is in a quote or not.  Interesting.
Native Texan, Marylander currently