Author Topic: Quoting & editing another post within your reply (excluding mods)  (Read 6707 times)

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
Re: Quoting & editing another post within your reply (excluding mods)
« Reply #60 on: February 09, 2013, 07:28:56 PM »
It's a typo. We're not talking about correcting misinformation, but a typo. Leave them be. I agree that it's rude to change anyone's post in this manner and no, it's not a kindness to do something like that publicly.

It's a kindness to me :) Assuming it's done unobtrusively of course. I get embarrassed when I see I've made a typo and return to correct it, so I appreciate it when other people do it for me when quoting me.

I realize I'm pretty alone in this though, and like I've already said, I'll stop doing it :)

Hah, if it helps, I agree with you 100%.  One of those things I never in a million years would think of as rude, and I was very surprised at the unkind assumptions being made about our motivations.  I feel like a simple "I prefer that other posters not fix my typos when quoting me, please, it bothers me" would have been more polite, but it's funny how perceptions differ, eh? 

So: Maria and I will continue to fix each other's typos, but no one else's  :D

I don't think anyone accused anyone of unkind motivations, and I don't think it's very nice to say we did.  All any of us said is that it comes across that way regardless of the intent behind it.  Intent doesn't immediately erase perception.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Nibsey

« Reply #61 on: February 09, 2013, 08:27:30 PM »
Just another point why it might be a bad idea regardless of intent. It's no skin off my nose if someone corrects my typo's...if they're wrong. However it would drive me bonkers if someone corrected my post incorrectly. Say if I used British spelling or a local phrase that is slightly different somewhere else. My grammar is atrocious, however sometimes I may be using it incorrectly for effect. I wouldn't be a happy bunny if someone then ruined that effect. And then there seems to be major disagreements over some grammar rules. So while I get what people are saying, it just seems like a minefield to avoid.
“I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.”- Douglas Adams
Éire (Ireland)

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #62 on: February 10, 2013, 02:07:34 AM »
Hah, if it helps, I agree with you 100%.  One of those things I never in a million years would think of as rude, and I was very surprised at the unkind assumptions being made about our motivations.  I feel like a simple "I prefer that other posters not fix my typos when quoting me, please, it bothers me" would have been more polite, but it's funny how perceptions differ, eh? 

Exactly. I was actually surprised by the vehemence of PP because I would never have dreamed that anybody would think it anything other than helpful at best, neutral at worst. Perhaps because English is my second language so I know I make heaps of mistakes in spelling and grammar both and always appreciate whennit's (kindly) pointed out to me?

Ah well, the more you know :)

So: Maria and I will continue to fix each other's typos, but no one else's  :D

It's a deal  :D

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice