Author Topic: Craft ideas?  (Read 1414 times)

lilfox

Re: Craft ideas?
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2013, 01:28:00 PM »
PSA on the beads, my daughter was past the age of putting things in her mouth (3) so I wasn't worried about the choking factor.  I did not consider the shove-up-the-nose factor.  I recommend beads significantly larger than nostril sized.

These other ideas are great!

My suggestion: a set of fabric markers + a plain white or light colored shirt + a stencil.  Mommy draws the stencil design (or free hands) with a black Sharpie.  child colors in the design with fabric markers.  Works great on shirts that maybe are a little stained/discolored but still fit, the design helps hide the stains.

shygirl

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2013, 02:29:22 PM »
Ha ha ha!  Yes, I have noticed that my son is trying to stick things in his nose more often these days. 

I like the t-shirt idea, but my son only scribbles now.  I will file that idea for later though!

SheltieMom

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2013, 05:42:18 PM »
Those scribbles on a t-shirt for you (or dad or grandparents) maybe with a handprint and date, would be priceless!
If Timmy had had a Sheltie, he never would have fallen in that well!

dawbs

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2013, 05:47:00 PM »
contact paper collage.

Take a piece of contact paper (I have clear because that's what was at the dollar store that day  ;)).  Cut a chunk and peel off the backing and tape it, sticky side out, to a table or wall.

Give the kid things to stick to it.  bits of colored yarns.  pictures from magazines.  random scraps of tissue paper.  beads.  leaves.  grass.  flowers.  handfuls of colored rice and pasta. crayon shavings.

When done, put a piece of clear contact paper over the top.
Ta-da, placemat as gift for grandma.
Or, just leave it taped to the window for suncatcher art

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2013, 05:52:42 PM »
"Pony beads" is a generic term for plastic beads with big holes, like this:

They do come in a few different sizes/shapes (cylindrical versus oval, mostly) and lots of different colors.  I've found you have about a 50% shot of finding a big tub of them at any given thrift store, either in the craft section or in the children's section.

afbluebelle

• Super Hero!
  • Saving the world one squirrelbot at a time
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2013, 05:53:46 PM »
Ha ha ha!  Yes, I have noticed that my son is trying to stick things in his nose more often these days. 

Just to warn you, it may never end. We almost had to send one of our guys to the hospital because Funnyguy  bet Dudeguy he couldn't fit a quarter in his nostril (Dudeguy has a big nose).

The quarter was eventually extracted, but it required a bunch of my aloe lip balm, a Q tip, and very gentle tugging with needle nose pliers. My coworkers are great training for whatever my child may do in the future. :P
My inner (r-word) is having a field day with this one.
-Love is Evol: Christopher Titus-

dawbs

« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2013, 06:01:23 PM »
when all else fails...baths.

Speaking of what you buy at the thrift store...I found a bunch of (new) craft-foam shapes there the other day.  Like the stuff you buy at the dollar store and that cheap foam things @ craft stores are made out of for kids.
It cuts.
It floats.
it sticks to the side of the wet bathtub.

Putting 20 small foam flowers in a bath tub bought me an hour of "sit next to the tub while reading my kindle" time this weekend.

Also, bath is an excellent place to do stuff like paint.  If you mix shaving cream with poster paint, in muffin tins, and hand it to a naked chld in a tub, there is no mess...you rinse off the tub and the naked kid and...ta da, all done.
(or, if you're not that brave, tub crayons)