General Etiquette > Life...in general

Not eating food served to you

(1/6) > >>

Geekychick1984:
Hello all!

I know picky eaters comes up a lot on here, and I have a question somewhat related to that.

I don't consider myself a picky eater.  I like a variety of foods, and have always loved all of my vegetables.  However, when I don't like something, I really don't like it.  I have actually gagged and/or thrown up from it in the past.  Sometimes, I can't even stand the smell or to look at it . The list really isn't big - it only consists of hot dogs, deli meat (something uabout the texture of deli meat makes me ill)wonder brand type white bread, ranch dressing, some cheeses, some yogurts, and unflavored sour cream.  I will eat pretty much anything else, or at least try it (I've even had escargot and loved it). 

I've read on here that it's rude to not take a little of everything when you go to someone else's house.  Is this true?  I'd imagine the host/hostess would rather I need be sick than "suck it up" and try to force something down that I don't like, when there's a good chance I'll be audibly gagging or being sick at the dinner table.  I'm good at not making a big deal of it (I will just grab what I can eat).

Am I being rude for passing up what I don't like if I don't make a production of it or make "eww" noises? 

iridaceae:
I wouldn't think you'd be rude for passing it up. I pass up lots of stuff and no one's ever said a thing. Or it's been a quick "oh; you didn't take X- did you want some?"

cicero:

--- Quote from: Geekychick1984 on January 24, 2013, 07:11:39 AM ---Hello all!

I know picky eaters comes up a lot on here, and I have a question somewhat related to that.

I don't consider myself a picky eater.  I like a variety of foods, and have always loved all of my vegetables.  However, when I don't like something, I really don't like it.  I have actually gagged and/or thrown up from it in the past.  Sometimes, I can't even stand the smell or to look at it . The list really isn't big - it only consists of hot dogs, deli meat (something uabout the texture of deli meat makes me ill)wonder brand type white bread, ranch dressing, some cheeses, some yogurts, and unflavored sour cream.  I will eat pretty much anything else, or at least try it (I've even had escargot and loved it). 

I've read on here that it's rude to not take a little of everything when you go to someone else's house.  Is this true?  I'd imagine the host/hostess would rather I need be sick than "suck it up" and try to force something down that I don't like, when there's a good chance I'll be audibly gagging or being sick at the dinner table.  I'm good at not making a big deal of it (I will just grab what I can eat).

Am I being rude for passing up what I don't like if I don't make a production of it or make "eww" noises?

--- End quote ---
no, i don't think that is valid. some people don't like /can't eat/prefer to not eat certain items.

it's rude for the hosts to call attention to what you took or didn't take. now - if your hosts invite you to a steak dinner, and you don't take a steak because you don't like steak or it doesn't agree with you - well, I would have to wonder why you didn't say something *before* I went to the trouble and expense of getting steak. But if you're invited "to dinner" and there are 3 out of 7 things you don't like - that's fine (especially if the thing you don't like is cheese -i'd be fine with that). ;D

*if* asked, you can say "no thank you" or "cheese doesn't agree with me but man, those brocolli spears look wonderful!"

Geekychick1984:

--- Quote from: cicero on January 24, 2013, 08:04:02 AM ---*if* asked, you can say "no thank you" or "cheese doesn't agree with me but man, those brocolli spears look wonderful!"

--- End quote ---

Phew, that's similar to what I do when they bring attention to it.

And yes, I do decline politely if it's blatantely something I don't like, for instance a wine and cheese party, of which I like neither. :)

camlan:
I'm not sure there's a rule that you have to take some of everything that's offered. It's polite to take as much as you will eat, but no more (or not very much more).

Most adults, I think, have some food or other that they would rather not eat. Some people don't eat certain foods because of religious reasons, or health reasons, or moral/ethical reasons.

So a polite guests takes what they can eat, in reasonable amounts (i.e. no one person grabs all the steak, or all the bacon, or fishes all the strawberries out of the fruit salad). If you end up with something you can't eat on your plate, you don't eat it. One school of thought says that you mess it around on your plate a little, to make it look as though you have eaten some of it.

I can't eat eggs. Not allergic, just the taste, the smell, the texture--they are all repellant. So I avoid them at breakfasts and brunches and load up on the foods I really like.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version