General Etiquette > All In A Day's Work

Do I really have to go?

(1/6) > >>

White Dragon:
I have a really great workplace.
The mix of people is great, the work is interesting and managment takes excellent care of us.

Management has arranged for all the women on the staff to attend a local conference.
They have even made concessions for all the front office staff to attend, which is very unusual.
This isn't so much as because they think that it's critical to our knowledge that we attend, but that it's an opportunity for us to attend something directed at working women. It's an 'encouragement and personal growth' kind of deal.

I don't want to go. I'm not a huge fan of the individual's organizing it (nothing major, I just have found them to be annoying). Also, it's really not the type of thing that I care for. I find these sorts of things to be boring at best and often annoying.

Here's the problem. If I don't go, I will probably be the only woman in the office not to do so.
Also, the organizer is our HR person, who - along with her husband - owns the company.

I do, however, have an acceptable, built-in excuse for not going. Everyone else on the staff can use their training budget to cover their pay for that day. (Conference costs are covered by the company.)

I am on a temporary contract with 5 months remaining. I don't have a training budget.
If I wish to attend, it will be without pay.
Alternatively, the company has offered to hold my vacation pay back and apply it the day's pay.
So there wouldn't be a huge difference in my pay cheque, but yes, in the long term, I'd miss a days pay (I just wouldn't see it in a big chunk.)

I very much want to stay with this company, but there is a very good chance the person I'm replacing will return (she has said she will and seems keen to come back.)
I can't tell if it's feasible for the company to create a new position for me or not. I've been trying to get a sense of things, but it's pretty opaque.

So.

Is it a better social (and long term) choice to be a team player, suck it up and attend or bow out, possibly leaving a bad impression with the HR lady? (She's a real sweetheart and I don't see her holding a grudge, but it could affect how they see me fitting in long term.)

Because etiquette is, for the most part, being aware of how others see our actions and how they affect others, I'd like the EHellions take on this.

MrTango:
I think you'll be better off career-wise to bite the bullet and just go to the event.  It'll give them a reason to consider you a "team player" and think you have a "positive attitude."

Yeah, the event itself might be dull and irritating, but it's a temporary discomfort that could have a longer-lasting benefit for you.

onyonryngs:

--- Quote from: MrTango on January 24, 2013, 02:29:36 PM ---I think you'll be better off career-wise to bite the bullet and just go to the event.  It'll give them a reason to consider you a "team player" and think you have a "positive attitude."

Yeah, the event itself might be dull and irritating, but it's a temporary discomfort that could have a longer-lasting benefit for you.

--- End quote ---

This.  If you're hoping to stay, it's best not to be remembered as the only one who refused to go.  You want to be the team player, up for anything person.

Outdoor Girl:
If there was no hope for you to get on with this company, I think it would be fine to not go, citing the loss of a day's pay.

But because you do hope to get hired on, I agree with MrTango that you should go.

cicero:

--- Quote from: MrTango on January 24, 2013, 02:29:36 PM ---I think you'll be better off career-wise to bite the bullet and just go to the event.  It'll give them a reason to consider you a "team player" and think you have a "positive attitude."

--- End quote ---
I agree.

and i've been to my share of "training sessions" - some were duds but many were interesting and i actually picked up some ideas and skills. you never know what's going to happen.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version