Author Topic: Rude to tell someone not to walk on freshly washed floor?  (Read 6064 times)

pwv

Re: Rude to tell someone not to walk on freshly washed floor?
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2013, 10:11:04 AM »
OT - I'm getting ads at the bottom of these pages for Stanely Steemer and Merry Maids.

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2013, 10:15:06 AM »
Even if I haven't washed the floor for weeks, I don't want snow and mud tracked in.  I can't even imagine anyone wanting to mess up other people's floor.  The OP is not rude to ask her aunt to take off her shoes first.  The aunt should have done it or offered to without the OP even asking because that's the polite thing, but since she didn't, the OP wasn't rude in her request.

The aunt should also have called first before just showing up unannounced and making demands, but that's another thread.

GrammarNerd

« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2013, 10:47:04 AM »
I think it just boils down to two things: the expectation by the aunt that she could just walk in, unannounced and uninvited and expect to use the OP's facilities, and then the blatant disrespect  and assumption that she was ENTITLED to get the OP's house dirty just because she didn't want to take care of a common courtesy of taking off her shoes.  Furthermore, she assumed that the OP should just clean up after her. 

Uh....no. 

The cleanly washed floors just exacerbates the problem.  It's only natural that once you give something a good cleaning, you would expect it/want it to stay as clean as possible for as long as possible.  I asked my kid to clean something, and he whined 'well, how do I know that it will STAY clean?  I don't want to clean it if people are just going to mess it up again.'  Yes, it will get messy again....that's life.  But to intentionally mess something that was JUST cleaned because you're too lazy/entitled to take necessary precautions...well, that's disrespectful and dismissive of the OP's efforts and the fact that nobody has the right to come into someone else's home, make a mess and then expect the homeowner to clean it up.

And the aunt calling the OP rude?  Yeah, rude people usually deflect like that when they, themselves are the rude ones.  They try to take the attention away from their own bad behavior by going on the defensive and calling someone else rude.  Exactly what the aunt did. 

You're fine, OP.  And no way would I be apologizing to the aunt.  In fact, if it was brought up to me again, I would go all outraged on her and tell her that in YOUR house, NOBODY gets to intentionally make a mess and then expect someone else to clean it up (asserting your independence as an adult here), let alone someone who doesn't even live there, which is what she told you to do.  And (said with a sweet smile) in the future, please call first before just dropping by unannounced to make sure that you're up for visitors.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2013, 11:05:15 AM »
If she brings it up again, just be really bewildered:

"But you had snow on your boots! I guess I just don't get it--why you refused to take them off."

And if anyone else brings it up (because she'll crab to them), just be really bewildered. "But she had snow on her boots! And the floor had just been washed. I still don't understand why she didn't just take her boots off. It's winter in Canada!"

Do NOT get defensive. Do NOT justify, a..., defend, or explain. (I can't remember the "a" word).

Be very careful with your tone of voice, you are painting a picture, setting a mood. (In singing, they call this "tone painting.") You are cueing other people about how to view this.

Which is, "I'm just sort of bewildered--why didn't she realize that it's completely normal to take one's snowy boots off before entering someone home. And then since I told her I'd *just* washed the floor, I really am sort of puzzled."

(I don't think it's so horrible for an aunt to think she could drop by unannounced and use the bathroom.)

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2013, 12:40:33 PM »
OT - I'm getting ads at the bottom of these pages for Stanely Steemer and Merry Maids.
Me to. The other day I had been looking at hotels in Madrid and noticed the ads were in Spanish for Soecial K cereal.

snowdragon

« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2013, 12:47:29 PM »
Who were you saving the freshly washed floors for? I get the idea of asking someone to not walk in wet floors because they end up with oot prints.  But if the floor is dry, how long we're you planning on them being a no walk zone? Or is the issue not that the floors were freshly washed but that you didn't want snowy boots in your house.

Why do I have to justify any of that? Really, this is my home, I just spent a good deal of time cleaning it and someone who does not live here gets to mess it up at will and I have to justify not wanting it messed up and how long I want it remain clean and who I want walking on it?
   People who exhibit common courtesy will be welcome, those who can't will not be.

Sounds like you have already decided that you weren't rude.

Because really, just answering the question in your title, I would say that yes, it is rude to tell someone not to walk on freshly washed floors, assuming the floor was dry. Floors are for walking on, after all, and at some point after washing, they will get dirty again, so making people keep off them completely as a general rule for an unspecified length of time is a bit pointless, and I think, rude to whoever is needing to walk on them.

Your actual question doesn't really have to do with the freshly-washed state of the floors - it has more to do with asking someone to take their wet, dirty shoes off in your house. I suspect that most here would object to someone doing that, regardless of the state of their floors beforehand. I would, and I'm very much a shoes on in the house kind of person.
Thanks, Cake earner, you got to the heart of my questions. 

Snowdragon, not sure about why my question made you feel defensive. If I had cleaned in preparation of a party later in the day then I would be more protective of them staying spotless. And I completely understand not wanting wet moody boots tramped through my house whether they are on freshly washed floors or ones that I hadn't cleaned in a week.  I just don't understand the correlation to asking someone to take off moody boots and the fact that your floors were newly clean or the amount of time you had put in cleaning them.

And based on your last paragraph, are you really asking us to confirm your belief that she was rude? Because you obviously believe you are in the right.

I answered your attack.  As an adult I should not have to justify wanting to have my home clean, and asking "who I was saving the clean floor for?" is dismissive and the rest of the post came off as I need to justify my wanting not to have to rewash a floor I just washed.

snowdragon

« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2013, 01:06:49 PM »
If she lives less than a mile away and had to stop at yours to use the bathroom, any chance she didn't have time to take off her boots?

She would have said so. But either way I would not be too happy to have rescrub the floor because she didn't. If it were that desperate she could have stopped at either the gas station or the donut shop ( Tim Horton's) at the either end of my street and gotten to the bathroom sooner.

Your reference to Tim Horton's indicates you're probably Canadian, is that right?

Buffalo, NY

As another Canadian, I just want to point out that it is generally considered very rude to wear one's outdoor shoes inside during the winter.  Other Canadians on the board (I know there are several of us) can confirm this.

In fact, even if someone is generally fine with guests wearing shoes inside, it is generally considered quite rude to do this in the winter.

So, I really don't think snowdragon was remotely rude by insisting her guest take off her shoes at the door. 

Who were you saving the freshly washed floors for? I get the idea of asking someone to not walk in wet floors because they end up with oot prints.  But if the floor is dry, how long we're you planning on them being a no walk zone? Or is the issue not that the floors were freshly washed but that you didn't want snowy boots in your house.

Why do I have to justify any of that? Really, this is my home, I just spent a good deal of time cleaning it and someone who does not live here gets to mess it up at will and I have to justify not wanting it messed up and how long I want it remain clean and who I want walking on it?
   People who exhibit common courtesy will be welcome, those who can't will not be.

Because really, just answering the question in your title, I would say that yes, it is rude to tell someone not to walk on freshly washed floors, assuming the floor was dry. Floors are for walking on, after all, and at some point after washing, they will get dirty again, so making people keep off them completely as a general rule for an unspecified length of time is a bit pointless, and I think, rude to whoever is needing to walk on them.

Your actual question doesn't really have to do with the freshly-washed state of the floors - it has more to do with asking someone to take their wet, dirty shoes off in your house. I suspect that most here would object to someone doing that, regardless of the state of their floors beforehand. I would, and I'm very much a shoes on in the house kind of person.

Snowdragon, not sure about why my question made you feel defensive. If I had cleaned in preparation of a party later in the day then I would be more protective of them staying spotless. And I completely understand not wanting wet moody boots tramped through my house whether they are on freshly washed floors or ones that I hadn't cleaned in a week. I just don't understand the correlation to asking someone to take off moody boots and the fact that your floors were newly clean or the amount of time you had put in cleaning them.

And based on your last paragraph, are you really asking us to confirm your belief that she was rude? Because you obviously believe you are in the right.

I'm not answering for the OP, just stating what my feelings are on the matter... I am less opposed to someone tracking mud/snow/dirt on my floor if it needs to be washed vs tracking mud/snow/dirt on a floor that I have *just* washed.  If I haven't washed my floors in a few days, I am more likely to brush it off knowing that I can just wash my floor when they are done.  But if I have just done it, I get really irritated because I just finished and now I need to do it again?!?!  (Auuuuuugh!!!)

There is no reason to where shoes in this house, not even to take them off in comfort since the garage is heated and has both a bend and a chair to sit on as you take them off. It's annoying to have to clean up after someone walks in with out taking off their shoes no matter how long it's been because it take a good deal of time to scrub the floor ( and damp mopping makes it look horrid, so I have to do it on hands and knees, aunt knows this. )because of the legnth of time I can't say if the back of the room was still wet or not - but she hit me in the rear end with the door trying to enter, as I was literally there still washing the floor.  I do know that the front 1/2 was still wet.  I don't care if she came with out calling,  most of my relatives do and most of them are reasonable and would never walk on the floor after being asked not to, particularly a freshly washed one.  Yes, she called another aunt to complain, who called me to tell me off and when she found out my side told me I was not at fault and not to worry.   

Moray

• My hovercraft is full of eels!
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2013, 01:13:51 PM »

Snowdragon, not sure about why my question made you feel defensive. If I had cleaned in preparation of a party later in the day then I would be more protective of them staying spotless. And I completely understand not wanting wet moody boots tramped through my house whether they are on freshly washed floors or ones that I hadn't cleaned in a week.  I just don't understand the correlation to asking someone to take off moody boots and the fact that your floors were newly clean or the amount of time you had put in cleaning them.

I answered your attack.  As an adult I should not have to justify wanting to have my home clean, and asking "who I was saving the clean floor for?" is dismissive and the rest of the post came off as I need to justify my wanting not to have to rewash a floor I just washed.

Funny how we read things differently. Hmmmmm's post read to me like it was asking for clarification on whether you were objecting specifically to the snowy, dirty nature of the boots as opposed to someone walking on your floor in general. Her followup post corroborates that interpretation.

You're very sure in your convictions about this matter. What are you looking for aside from validation?
Utah

Ticia

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2013, 01:16:29 PM »
And another "Shoes on/off in the house" thread bites the dust...
Utah