Author Topic: Gum popping in the office  (Read 1696 times)

stargazergirl74

Gum popping in the office
« on: January 24, 2013, 02:22:39 PM »
I work in a professional business office where the offices are close together and office doors are to remain open. My boss' office is directly across the hall. She is a wonderful lady and great boss, however she has one bad habit. She pops her gum loudly and incessantly. All. Day. Long. It is driving me and my co worker (who I share an office with) to distraction. What would be the best way to bring up the subject with her?

onyonryngs

Re: Gum popping in the office
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 02:26:04 PM »
I don't think there is.  When it comes to your boss, sometimes you just have to deal with the annoyance.  Also it's usually not a good idea to discuss negative things about your boss with coworkers - that kind of things has a way of getting back to people and/or biting you in the hiney.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 02:42:30 PM »
I work in a professional business office where the offices are close together and office doors are to remain open. My boss' office is directly across the hall. She is a wonderful lady and great boss, however she has one bad habit. She pops her gum loudly and incessantly. All. Day. Long. It is driving me and my co worker (who I share an office with) to distraction. What would be the best way to bring up the subject with her?
"boss - you may not be aware but we can hear your gum popping all the way into our office. Could you try to chew less loudly? thanks!"

of course, if you work in my office, you yell:"[name of higher up who chews his gum loudly]!!!! stop!!!"

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2013, 09:00:29 PM »
Make it about work.

"Boss, sorry to bother you, but when I hear your gum pop, I find it incredibly hard to concentrate and I'm afraid my work is suffering.  Would it be possible to maybe A or B so I can focus on my work?  Thanks for understand."

A: close your door
B: other suggestions?
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

oceanus

• pronounced o-see-ANN-us
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2013, 10:31:05 PM »
OP, if you have a really good relationship with boss I think it would be okay to nicely say "(Boss), the gum is really loud and distracting."

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2013, 12:23:07 AM »
I feel your pain, OP. I had a job almost 30 yrs ago where 2 bosses did this incessantly. I just put up with it, but as a result I haven't chewed gum since then.  :P (yes, I realize it can be chewed politely)