Author Topic: Purging hobby stash....moral support needed!  (Read 1663 times)

otterwoman

Re: Purging hobby stash....moral support needed!
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2013, 08:03:19 PM »
The local arts council where I live just had an arts and crafts swap. People were invited to bring in what they didn't want anymore, set up a table and swap with other people. I wasn't interested in swapping as much as getting rid of. I didn't get rid of enough, so I've been selling more on EBay. I've gotten $90 from the leftovers. I'm using that money to get stuff for my new Featherweight!

I was ruthless when I went through my sewing room looking for items to bring. Fabric I had moved 5 times, yarn that was unloaded on me, jewelry supplies from the 1990's. If I couldn't envision the final project, it went.

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2013, 08:18:01 PM »
I too had some very high value materials.  It was preventing me from addressing the SABLE (Stash accumulated beyond life expectancy) until I found out that the nearby VA hospital has a needlework class as part of the PTSD therapy program.  Finding a cause I believed in let me see past the value and clearly see the worth.
I love this thought, Soprych.
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

snowdragon

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2013, 10:29:55 PM »
reading this with interest as I am in the same boat.

Jocelyn

« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2013, 12:07:34 PM »
The reality is, as much as I love all of my needleworking kits, I will never make them all.  I need the storage space they are currently occupying, so I need to do some purging.

Three moves in the past 8 years. :) Before that, I had to help my mother dismantle her stash so she could downsize.
Is there a local senior center or Boys and Girls Club that you could donate to? I know Mom felt 1000% better when I contacted a church group that used knit fabrics to make lap robes for nursing homes. I think what hurts so much is that which we've lovingly collected is being cast aside. When I was culling through Mom's stash, she kept saying 'I got that from your aunt'. Finally, I said, 'Mom, is this supposed to become a family tradition, someone keeps this stuff til she's 80, and then passes it on to a younger relative?'  ::) She was able to laugh about it, and accept me saying that I was not going to take anything that I couldn't imagine a use for.
Most of mine is quilting fabric, and good stuff. I figure I'll do what a lady in my quilt guild did years ago- she told her husband to contact the guild, and they'd strip down her sewing room for him when she died. I think the poor man thought that it was a bunch of kindly ladies trying to help a grieving widower...but then, he only dealt with the officers, who boxed it all up and brought it to the next meeting, and man, was there a feeding frenzy when the boxes were set out! >:D But his wife had known EXACTLY what she was doing when she told him to contact the guild. >:D

joraemi

• Crystal of Enchantment - my current project
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2013, 07:51:47 AM »
Thank You!

You all have some great suggestions.  As soon as I get finished painting my bathroom (hopefully this weekend!), purging the stash will be my next project.

I'm hoping to follow your examples and be wildly successful.  ;D

Courage is the price life  exacts for granting peace.  ~Amelia Earhart~

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2013, 08:41:03 AM »
During my big clean-up I got rid of some cheap large seed beads and some gold-toned chain by donating it to an organization that provides art therapy.  I got a receipt valuing the stuff at $200.

More recently I joined a jewelry-makers MeetUp that does a blind swap at every monthly meeting.  I haven't yet used what I got in November (December's meeting was cancelled) but I know I have some things that are compatible with it.  I have a large amount put aside for the next swap.