Hostesses With The Mostest > Entertaining and Hospitality

Having a get-together for a woman who just had triplets

<< < (2/4) > >>

Deetee:
I would go with make it as simple as possible.
Like, try to avoid her needing to go to the kitchen for anything.

So don't just bring a cake for example (requires cutting and plates and forks)

Bring muffins and napkins and set up everything and clean up everything and bring drinks etc...

I would treat it as a picnic at her house. (Unless you know she WANTS to host or she has family with her) But with triplets, I would be impressed if she was providing glasses and tap water.

(I would suggest for food gifts or just to nibble on, some healthy portable snacks: cheese sticks, sliced fruit, sliced veggies, nuts. It can be hard to sit down for a meal with plates and cutlery, but it's also nice to eat some halthy "real" food)

CakeBeret:
Agree with the PPs regarding food. If you want to bring a gift, diapers and onesies/sleepers are almost always appreciated by new parents. Don't plan on staying more than an hour unless the new mom asks you to stay longer.

MrsJWine:

--- Quote from: CakeBeret on January 25, 2013, 04:10:00 PM ---Agree with the PPs regarding food. If you want to bring a gift, diapers and onesies/sleepers are almost always appreciated by new parents. Don't plan on staying more than an hour unless the new mom asks you to stay longer.

--- End quote ---

And if you are having a good time, and she seems like she's having a good time, don't necessarily think that you have to leave after a short visit. With triplets, it's likely she'll be worn out, but still, I've never *needed* to be around people the way I did after I had my babies.

jpcher:

--- Quote from: rachellenore on January 25, 2013, 12:54:19 PM ---She is a former coworker, and myself and three coworkers want to go and visit her to see how she's doing. I'm not really sure..what to do  :-\ I'm bad at this socializing thing but she said she wanted us to visit so I really want to do this right. Should we bring food, baby supplies? We weren't really friends, she went on maternity leave after I only knew her for a few months, we just spoke a few times mostly about work, I'd love it if you all could bring up some topics..or topics to avoid.

Thank you to anyone who answers, sorry this is such a vague string of questions.

--- End quote ---

How well acquainted to NewMom are the other 3 coworkers?

I agree with bringing food. Suggest to one of the 3 that they ask NewMom what she would like . . . maybe something from her favorite restaurant. THEN, even if you get short-sided on the meal and don't get to eat, make sure that the 4 of you take care of the babies so that NewMom gets to eat in peace.

Or instead of bringing a meal, maybe ask the NewMom if there are any groceries that she needs and do some shopping for her.

If you see a basket of laundry, ask if you could fold the clothes for her. If there are dishes in the kitchen, by all means ask if you could wash them. Ask if there are other small chores that she would like help with . . . vacuum the nursery, change the babies bedding, small stuff like that.

Bringing a small gift (diapers!) is a nice thought. It doesn't have to be personalized.

As far as conversation, since you'll be there with 3 others, let them take the lead.

MommyPenguin:
Given that she may already have a lot of casseroles and the like from other people, you might consider bringing something like fresh fruit.  It can be expensive, but if you can swing it, they might enjoy some fresh food.  Or milk.  The sort of thing that you need to go to the grocery store for when your baby is 4 days old, even though people have been bringing you food (yes, I speak from experience). 

If you want to bring a gift for the babies, a book (or books, but I don't think it's necessary to have exactly 3 just because they're triplets--they'll share books) would probably be welcomed.  Clothes are nice, especially in larger sizes, but moms tend to get a lot of clothes and toys, and sometimes a book is a nice change.  I love the "That's Not My" books by Usborne ("That's Not My Truck," "That's Not My Teddy," etc.).  And they're a little different from the "Good Night, Moon" kind of books that they might already be getting duplicates of.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version