Hostesses With The Mostest > Entertaining and Hospitality

Asking for the bathroom

(1/8) > >>

Gail:
When people is in a strange house and need a bathroom, they usually ask: can I go to the bathroom? But I find this awkward, because the answer to that question is always yes, so it's ridiculous to ask it in the first place (this is my own reasoning). So what I say is: "hey, I'm going to use the bathroom, if you don't mind". It's not a question, but it leaves open the matter is the host wants to warn me about the door, or the window, like "oh, be careful with the plant when you close the door", or something like that.
But last time a friend (not the host) told me that my asking was "too direct and harsh". I'm too direct and harsh anyway, that's why I'm in this forum, but I wanted to ask you. Am I being rude to ask for the bathroom in that way?

Shoo:
"Could you point me to your powder room please?"

I don't think you're being rude, but you could probably be a bit more diplomatic.  :)

Auntie Mame:
I always ask "where is the restroom"? 

Moray:

--- Quote from: Auntie Mame on January 25, 2013, 05:51:15 PM ---I always ask "where is the restroom"?

--- End quote ---

I like this. Quick, to the point, and no unnecessary cutesyness.

Yvaine:

--- Quote from: Moray on January 25, 2013, 06:01:31 PM ---
--- Quote from: Auntie Mame on January 25, 2013, 05:51:15 PM ---I always ask "where is the restroom"?

--- End quote ---

I like this. Quick, to the point, and no unnecessary cutesyness.

--- End quote ---

Me too.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version