General Etiquette > Life...in general

Another Name Question

(1/4) > >>

Thipu1:
Here is the situation. 

A woman whose maiden name is Smith marries a man named Jones while in college.  Under the name of 'Jones' she goes on to be internationally recognized in her field of study.

Some years later, she and Mr. Jones divorce.  Because her career has been established under the name of 'Jones' she keeps it.

A few years after the divorce, she meets a man named Henderson and they marry.  What do you do in a case like that? 

She doesn't want to keep her ex-husband's name but that is how she is known.  She wants to adopt
her new husband's name but that could cause confusion when she submits a scholarly paper for publication.  Jane Jones is known in the field.  Jane Henderson is not. 

Hyphenating her ex-husband's name and that of her current husband just seems wrong. 

BTW, neither her ex-husband nor her current husband are known in her field of research. 

Luci45:
The people I have known in this situation kept the professional name for profession purposes and used the new married name for social purposes.

It is pretty clear why, as you mentioned because of the confusion. I can't imagine doing research on someone and having to juggle names like that. It is confusing enough as it is. It also gets pretty dicey if there are legal problems.

As I understand it, a doctor always goes by the name she received her degree and license under for that very reason.

mich3554:
Most of the women I know who published under their maiden name retained it for professional purposes after they got married.  One hyphenated it, which allowed her name to still show up in a lit search.  The rest just retained their professional name, even for social situations.

Alpacas:
I know of an athlet that hyphenated her name once she got married. After a few years of being known as Claudia Künzel-Nystad the press and the comentators in her field of sports started calling her Claudia Nystad as she requested.
I thought that made the transition fairly easy because already recognized the combination Claudia Nystad altho she was still known as Claudia Künzel-Nystad

Lynn2000:

--- Quote from: Luci45 on January 25, 2013, 08:18:30 PM ---The people I have known in this situation kept the professional name for profession purposes and used the new married name for social purposes.

It is pretty clear why, as you mentioned because of the confusion. I can't imagine doing research on someone and having to juggle names like that. It is confusing enough as it is. It also gets pretty dicey if there are legal problems.

As I understand it, a doctor always goes by the name she received her degree and license under for that very reason.

--- End quote ---

This is my opinion. Socially and legally she can be known as Jane Henderson, but she can publish articles as Jane Jones still. I publish articles in my field of research and no one has ever asked me to give proof of the name I'm publishing under. She should definitely expect some confusion when it comes to things like professional mailings or conferences, though--if she goes off to a conference she'll have to decide if she'd rather be called Dr. Jones or Dr. Henderson for the week. Probably I would go with Jones as it's still a professional setting, but things could get weird at, say, a cocktail hour to which guests (such as her husband Mr. Henderson) are also invited. Though in that case people would probably just assume Jones was her maiden name.

Once at work we had a service contract worth several thousand dollars messed up because the agent working on it, whose name was on the paperwork, got married and took on her husband's last name professionally during the middle of the process. The documents went from referencing "Margaret Miller" to "Margaret Brown" and people started rejecting them, thinking we'd switched agents or something like that--all has to be consistent, apparently. We only realized what was going on because the woman's first name was rather unusual, and it seemed unlikely that two different people at the company would both have it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version