Author Topic: Another Name Question  (Read 2004 times)

Lynn2000

Re: Another Name Question
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2013, 03:42:59 PM »
Thanks everyone for the good advice but there are still a few snags.

The Lady in question has a Master's Degree.  She does not have a Doctorate. 

Everyone agrees that hyphenation is not an option.  None of the names involved are common.  Let's say that hyphenating her married names would make her name almost identical to that of the sculptor who created Mount Rushmore. 

She has decided to go with the name of her second husband and will make sure that appropriate people are informed.

I think the advice would be the same whether she has a masters or doctorate. Obviously it wouldn't be Dr. Jones vs. Dr. Henderson, but rather Ms. Jones vs. Ms. Henderson.

The good thing nowadays with so many publications and records being online is that I think most journals have a way of connecting all the names that represent the same person, if they're kept informed. So with me, for example, Lynn Miller, Lynn A. Miller, and L.A. Miller should all point to me. Even better that her name choices are uncommon, she won't be going, "No, I'm the other Lynn Miller!" all the time. For the journals she's published in, maybe she can check their websites and see if they have a FAQ or something addressing this question specifically. (Maybe that's what you meant by the "appropriate people" being informed.)
~Lynn2000

DollyPond

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2013, 03:51:57 PM »
The people I have known in this situation kept the professional name for profession purposes and used the new married name for social purposes.

It is pretty clear why, as you mentioned because of the confusion. I can't imagine doing research on someone and having to juggle names like that. It is confusing enough as it is. It also gets pretty dicey if there are legal problems.

As I understand it, a doctor always goes by the name she received her degree and license under for that very reason.

Add me to the agreement with others that she should pick one name for professional use and stick with it.  Someone in my field changed her name several times from maiden name, to married name, back to maiden mane at the divorce, then re-married name and back to maiden name after the second divorce.  It is impossible to keep track of her publication record not to mention dragging all of her marriage woes into the picture.

Jocelyn

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2013, 11:11:00 PM »
As I understand it, a doctor always goes by the name she received her degree and license under for that very reason.

Not all. I have a friend who was in this situation. She decided that she would use her new husband's name, even though her Ph.D. had been granted under her first husband's name. She said that it just didn't make sense to her, dragging her ex around for the rest of her life, especially since she'd remarried.  ;D
My eye doctor who is a double-doctor, has publications under her current married name, under her American first name and her Chinese surname, and under her full Chinese name. I decided to track down her publications without knowing her Chinese name, and was able to do it in less than an hour. So for scholarly purposes, changing names isn't an unreasonable barrier, and I'd bet that most of the people who needed to know that Dr. X was now Dr. Y got the message pretty quickly.