General Etiquette > Life...in general

Another Name Question

<< < (2/4) > >>

kudeebee:
She can change her legal name to that of her new husband and use the other name professionally.  Many women do that.

sweetonsno:
In her position, I'd probably stick with Jones, at least on a professional level. I don't think there's anything wrong with hyphenating her name, either. Lots of people do it. She's been divorced a long time. Nobody is going to associate her ex's name with her ex; they're going to associate it with her and her body of work.

Thipu1:
Thanks everyone for the good advice but there are still a few snags.

The Lady in question has a Master's Degree.  She does not have a Doctorate. 

Everyone agrees that hyphenation is not an option.  None of the names involved are common.  Let's say that hyphenating her married names would make her name almost identical to that of the sculptor who created Mount Rushmore. 

She has decided to go with the name of her second husband and will make sure that appropriate people are informed. 

BabylonSister:

--- Quote from: kudeebee on January 25, 2013, 11:40:05 PM ---She can change her legal name to that of her new husband and use the other name professionally.  Many women do that.

--- End quote ---

That's what Demi Moore did.  Moore was the name of her first husband. 

(IMO, this is one reason for considering not changing one's name upon marriage.  If, Heaven forbid, the marriage doesn't work out, you end up with that kind of situation.)

Winterlight:

--- Quote from: BabylonSister on January 26, 2013, 01:05:17 PM ---
--- Quote from: kudeebee on January 25, 2013, 11:40:05 PM ---She can change her legal name to that of her new husband and use the other name professionally.  Many women do that.

--- End quote ---

That's what Demi Moore did.  Moore was the name of her first husband. 

(IMO, this is one reason for considering not changing one's name upon marriage.  If, Heaven forbid, the marriage doesn't work out, you end up with that kind of situation.)

--- End quote ---

In Demi Moore's case, her maiden name is Guynes. Moore probably sounded better to her.

Personally, if I married at this point I'd likely keep my maiden name professionally and use my married name socially.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version