Author Topic: Advice from parents/grandparents, please.  (Read 1119 times)

snowdragon

Advice from parents/grandparents, please.
« on: January 25, 2013, 10:35:06 PM »
The food kitchen/social services center that I volunteer at need baby stuff. Many folks are donating things like diapers and wipes and even formula but I was thinking that I wanted to do more durable stuff that a kid might need.
It's been awhile since I had a kid in residence so I was hoping folks here would have some ideas that would give the most bang for the buck in terms of need and usefulness. Ideas anyone?

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
Re: Advice from parents/grandparents, please.
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 10:40:02 PM »
If  you accept "gently used" items, I'd go for things like Pack n' Plays, baby swings and high chairs.  It's unlikely that anyone would go out and spend the money for new ones to give away, but once the 'last' kid has outgrown them, they simply become storage-space-taker-uppers.  Yet, they are really useful to have.

Another thing to consider are used baby and toddler toys that children have outgrown.

Or have I completely misinterpreted your question?

snowdragon

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 10:42:54 PM »
If  you accept "gently used" items, I'd go for things like Pack n' Plays, baby swings and high chairs.  It's unlikely that anyone would go out and spend the money for new ones to give away, but once the 'last' kid has outgrown them, they simply become storage-space-taker-uppers.  Yet, they are really useful to have.

Another thing to consider are used baby and toddler toys that children have outgrown.

Or have I completely misinterpreted your question?

I am going to go out and purchase a few new items - but I am unsure what is the most useful.  or even what toys are good these days. I was at the fisher price outlet today and am now totally confused as to what is actually useful and what is actually just "it's pretty - get that" if you know what I mean. Thanks for the suggestion of a pack - n-play.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 11:08:39 PM »
I think as for toys Lego and Duplo are great options because they're very durable and last forever.  Thomas trains are also very well made and can be enjoyed by anyone who likes trains. :)  I'll second the pack & play.  Also I think "high chairs" like this are great because it doesn't take up as much room as a usual high chair and can be placed on just about any usual dining chair.

This is what we have, only with a different pattern. http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11981517

And I think this could be good too. http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2265745
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3553506

And the pack and plays are great too for traveling, time outs or a play pen.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2013, 12:41:12 AM »
One thing: "durable" stuff might be easier for people to get than stuff that constantly runs out, like diapers. One used toy can go a long time, but diapers are gone in a flash.

So in terms of what is most needed, I'd check with the organizers; hopefully they have a really good idea of how your money will be most powerfully helpful for THEIR "target audience."

Especially in a food kitchen setup, their clients probably have some toys, etc. But they don't have any money to buy diapers and formula. Also, their kids CAN go without toys, or play with only 1 toy. But they can't go without diapers or formula.

My church sponsors an orphanage in the Dominican Republic, and we send food down because believe it or not, it's cheaper (and safer, in terms of theft) than sending money. Buying food is expensive.

But people often want to fill up the barrel with clothes. The thing is, the clothes will last 2-3 years, sometimes more. The food lasts 1 meal.

Arrynne

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2013, 02:33:14 AM »
Socks. Little kids love to pull them off and lose them. Bouncy seats are helpful. My son slept in one for months as the angle helped with reflux.

Diapers are always helpful.  Kids go through crazy amounts of diapers.  My local soup kitchen likes people to send paper goods: TP, paper towels, etc.

PurpleFrog

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2013, 03:46:32 AM »
Bottles, tests & sterelizers are always useful as are feeding bowls tippy cups, not too expensive but very handy for parents. Personally when we were in our small flat I loved our door bouncer, It was great for being able to hang off the door where Froglet could see me while I got on without taking up too much space. Carriers and slings are also good, especially if you rely on public transport where prams aren't always practical.
[img width=400 height=88]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10773;484/st/20120825/e/Our+Wedding/dt/-1/k/450f/eve

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2013, 06:42:48 AM »
Socks. Little kids love to pull them off and lose them.

Same goes with hats and mittens, our house sometimes seems like the black hole where socks, hats and mittens/gloves disappear.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
  • I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2013, 11:54:29 AM »
I'd say the two most useful, inexpensive things that people might want a lot of are pocket bibs or bibs with sleeves and crib sheets and crib mattress pads.

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2013, 12:05:39 PM »
Board books.  Wood puzzles (the kind that only have about 5 pieces).

Oh Joy

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2013, 12:06:50 PM »
What kinds of situations (living arrangements, etc.) are the recipients in?

Jones

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2013, 12:17:31 PM »
Baby carriers, such as on the belly or back, are fantastic. They can be passed on and reused, and are so much easier to carry a small child than a bulky stroller in on-foot living situations.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2013, 12:38:49 AM »
Quite honestly, I think they would get more use out of a check if you're planning to spend the money for the items anyway.  The people making the financial decisions ought to have a good idea of what they usually need, usually receive, already have, are scheduled to receive soon, etc.  They're also able to get more bang for their buck than you are because they don't have to pay sales tax if they're non-profit, and they are likely to be able to negotiate with businesses for extra discounts.