Author Topic: Donate or throw out?  (Read 1329 times)

shygirl

Donate or throw out?
« on: January 26, 2013, 10:48:57 AM »
I was cleaning out my cupboards, and I found some packets of rice mixes that have a best by date in 2007.  I didn't eat them because I didn't like the flavors.  If I liked the flavors, I would probably make them for myself now.

Is this something I can donate to a food pantry?  Or should I throw it out?  I'm not going to eat it, but only because I really, really did not like how they tasted.

darling

Re: Donate or throw out?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2013, 10:57:41 AM »
Throw out! Food pantries, and rightly so will not take expired goods. Save yourself a trip, and them the hassle of disposing of it.

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2013, 12:00:58 PM »
I second the advice to throw it out.

newbiePA

• Outside the Marinara Zone- our new blog :)
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2013, 12:28:38 PM »
Throw out. 2007 was 5 years ago.
Not such a newbie anymore

Perfect Circle

• Birdie in the hand for life's rich demand
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2013, 12:29:38 PM »
I don't think you should ever donate expired food.
There's a secret stigma, reaping wheel.
Diminish, a carnival of sorts.
Chronic town, poster torn, reaping wheel.
Stranger, stranger to these parts.

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2013, 12:41:01 PM »
No question, do not donate. I used to volunteer at a food pantry and one of the biggest problems they had was people donating out-of-date items. It wastes their time, not to mention they have to dispose of the stuff.

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2013, 12:43:38 PM »
Yeah no, most charities have strict guidelines on what foods they can accept.  And expired foods, especially that far back expired would be a huge no no.  I wouldn't even dream of donating much less eating them.  Toss them out. 

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2013, 12:44:37 PM »
No question, do not donate. I used to volunteer at a food pantry and one of the biggest problems they had was people donating out-of-date items. It wastes their time, not to mention they have to dispose of the stuff.

I have to say I was taken aback at all the signs exclaiming "NO EXPIRED OR OPENED GOODS".  So it's really that common and people do this?

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2013, 12:46:34 PM »
I was inspired by the various posts on this topic in several different threads.

Due to being married to someone with "issues" regarding wasting money, food, or anything else - I do have to wrap the expired food stuffs and put them in the trash a little at a time.  I figure one bag twice a week is still getting some of the "stuff" out of my pantry & fridge.

It helps if I can show him something that has clearly spoiled....fuzzy stuff is supposed to be gotten rid of!  It's the stuff that isn't obviously "bad" that he doesn't know why I want to get rid of it.....

Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2013, 01:46:01 PM »

I have to say I was taken aback at all the signs exclaiming "NO EXPIRED OR OPENED GOODS".  So it's really that common and people do this?

Oh, yes.  I do a shift for Christmas Cheer every year.  You'd be amazed at the crap people 'donate'. 
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

shygirl

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2013, 02:10:00 PM »
Okay!  I have thrown out the stuff!  Thanks

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2013, 02:16:18 PM »

It is common.  :-[

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2013, 03:45:44 PM »

Oh, yes.  I do a shift for Christmas Cheer every year.  You'd be amazed at the crap people 'donate'. 

I used to work at a thrift shop that took items on a consignment basis - we had more than one coffee maker brought in that still have the used coffee grounds & filter in it (found when the thing didn't sell in 8 weeks and we were putting it in the "clearance" room - after 8 weeks, it had to be picked up or it was considered a donation toward the scholarship fund that our percentage of the sales went to).  There were glass items that clearly came out of a garage or storage unit without having been washed (dusty & "greasy"); we got to turn down stuffed animals & mattresses (thank the health department).  There were other items that came in that *might* have sold (or sold faster for full price instead of being discounted after 4 weeks).

We didn't take food stuffs - again, thank you health department!
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2013, 10:02:44 AM »
Okay!  I have thrown out the stuff!  Thanks

You did the right thing, OP.  :)