Author Topic: Polite way to word this? Stop buying a style of clothing for my kid...  (Read 4466 times)

alis

How do I politely ask grandparents to not buy a certain style of clothing? I have an 11 week old who is already in size 9-12 month clothing. So, most clothing styles are for tall lean 12 month olds rather than a very fat baby with young baby proportions. They love to buy him clothes but the clothes always are too long pants and his fat belly being exposed. How can I say- "please only buy onesie style clothes" as they are the only kind that fits.

Grandmothers, of course, loving the fashionable jeans and shirts that don't fit. Plus, MIL in particular, has been spending a great deal of money on unused clothing and that's not fair to her!

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
Re: Polite way to word this? Stop buying a style of clothing for my kid...
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2013, 10:35:12 AM »
"MIL, it's so sweet of you to buy clothes for bub. Onsies are what we really need- jeans and shirts are so cute, but they don't fit right and he gets uncomfortable in them. Thanks so much- we really appreciate the clothes and hope you come to see him in them soon!"
If wisdomís ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2013, 10:36:36 AM »
Is there any way to layer - with a onesie underneath and then the shirt on top?  That way no bare belly would be exposed?  Do they visit?  I might ask for "help" dressing him and have them put on an outfit they chose so they can experience the fit up close and personal.

AmethystAnne

• mom, grandmother, and an enthusaistic knitter & crocheter (formerly Laura___)
  • So much yarn, not nearly enough time! :D
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2013, 11:08:21 AM »
/\
Love the "up close and personal" experience for the grandparents. (I am Gramma to 5)

SPuck

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2013, 11:51:28 AM »
Don't be coy, or mince words. Just say "Grandma/MIL I appreciate the gesture of clothing, but the clothes just aren't fitting, and I don't want you spending money on gifts he can't even wear." And if you want to ad. "Would you like to go shopping on x date(s) so we can get clothes that fit?"

newbiePA

• Outside the Marinara Zone- our new blog :)
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2013, 12:12:34 PM »
Don't over think it.  Thank them for the gifts, but explain that the pants and tops don't work for your little one now.  Explain the styles that do, so if they want to buy more clothing, they know what style to choose.
Not such a newbie anymore

Elisabunny

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2013, 01:00:58 PM »
If they really love the jeans look, you could also suggest overalls, which is probably my favorite style for the toddlers-and-under set.
You must remember this: a ghoti is still a fish...

Arrynne

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2013, 01:17:28 PM »
Is there any way to layer - with a onesie underneath and then the shirt on top?  That way no bare belly would be exposed?  Do they visit?  I might ask for "help" dressing him and have them put on an outfit they chose so they can experience the fit up close and personal.

I like the layering idea also. I do this with my son so I can get extra wear out of short sleeved shirts.

Tell them that the jeans are adorable, but don't fit well right now because of his short legs and long torso.  Ask for knit, elastic waist pants and snap suits (aka onesies).  If you like the onesie only look, you might ask for BabyLegs or other leggings for infants. They cover the cute little legs and knees without the fuss of pants.

The TARDIS

• I wanted to see the Universe so I stole a Time Lord and I ran away.
  • I'm bigger on the inside!
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2013, 07:21:30 PM »
Could you perhaps offer her a suggestion such as this site? http://www.babysupermall.com/main/browse/p1/baby-onesies.html

"Kidneys! I got new kidneys! I donít like the color..."

nyoprinces

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2013, 07:59:13 PM »
I don't see anything wrong with basically saying what you said here - "Most 9-12 clothing is designed with toddlers in mind, not a chubby baby. Here's what we've found works best for Baby right now."

johelenc1

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2013, 08:16:08 PM »
Just put a onesie under the outfits.  That's how every baby I've ever seen wears clothes like that.  They are meant to be worn alone. 

Wait...strike that.  You have a 3 MONTH baby in 9-12 months clothes!!  Good grief!  I'm surprised anything fits:-)  Just tell the grandparents that the clothes don't fit.  When they are given to you, take them, say thanks, then casually ask for the receipts, "in case they don't fit."  Add, "he's such an unusual size for a three month old that we have had a hard time finding clothes that fit.  The last few times he hasn't been able to wear them."

If they refuse to listen, just set the clothes aside and either save them for later (maybe he will thin out and the clothes will fit later), sell them, or give them as gifts (since they will still have tags.)

delabela

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2013, 09:03:51 PM »
I had some similar issues, and I came at it from a positive angle - "I absolutely love the colors you choose for Baby!  Just so you know, XYZ styles are working best for him right now, if you buy anything else."

Stress what you like and mention what works. 

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2013, 10:15:26 PM »
I've had this from the other end - both my girls have (so far) been tall and underweight for their ages, so there are only one or two brands of onesies that are cut right.  Babybartfast also can't wear jeans or cordouroys or dresses, because anything except leggings are flood pants before they fit around her waist (even with an adjustable elastic waistband) and dresses are usually indecently short on her.  I have found a few exceptions, but it's been much easier to tell MIL what Babybartfast can wear instead of what she can't.  (And in our case, I have a ton of hand-me-down clothes from friends, so although I of course am happy to receive the occasional new outfit for the girls from MIL, I can do just fine without them).

kudeebee

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2013, 04:26:00 PM »
Just tell them what you told us:  "The clothes you purchased are really cute, however they just don't fit baby.  If you want to buy baby clothes, please buy onesie style clothes.  When baby is able to wear other types of clothes, I will let you know."

Arrynne

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2013, 09:17:41 PM »
I've had this from the other end - both my girls have (so far) been tall and underweight for their ages, so there are only one or two brands of onesies that are cut right.  Babybartfast also can't wear jeans or cordouroys or dresses, because anything except leggings are flood pants before they fit around her waist (even with an adjustable elastic waistband) and dresses are usually indecently short on her.  I have found a few exceptions, but it's been much easier to tell MIL what Babybartfast can wear instead of what she can't.  (And in our case, I have a ton of hand-me-down clothes from friends, so although I of course am happy to receive the occasional new outfit for the girls from MIL, I can do just fine without them).

Have you seen Dapper Snappers? My son is slim and petite, but too young for belts.  These either slip through belt loops or clip on and tighten up the waist.  When they have clips, they look a lot like those clips we wore on dresses back in the early 90's.