Author Topic: Donate or throw out?  (Read 1248 times)

shygirl

Donate or throw out?
« on: January 26, 2013, 10:48:57 AM »
I was cleaning out my cupboards, and I found some packets of rice mixes that have a best by date in 2007.  I didn't eat them because I didn't like the flavors.  If I liked the flavors, I would probably make them for myself now.

Is this something I can donate to a food pantry?  Or should I throw it out?  I'm not going to eat it, but only because I really, really did not like how they tasted.

darling

Re: Donate or throw out?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2013, 10:57:41 AM »
Throw out! Food pantries, and rightly so will not take expired goods. Save yourself a trip, and them the hassle of disposing of it.

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2013, 12:00:58 PM »
I second the advice to throw it out.

newbiePA

• Outside the Marinara Zone- our new blog :)
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2013, 12:28:38 PM »
Throw out. 2007 was 5 years ago.
Not such a newbie anymore

Perfect Circle

• Buy the sky and sell the sky and bleed the sky...
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2013, 12:29:38 PM »
I don't think you should ever donate expired food.
Maybe he's caught in the legend
maybe he's caught in the mood
Maybe these maps and legends
Have been misunderstood

The map that you painted didn't seem real
He just sings whatever he's seen
Point to the legend, point to the east
Point to the yellow, red, and green

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2013, 12:41:01 PM »
No question, do not donate. I used to volunteer at a food pantry and one of the biggest problems they had was people donating out-of-date items. It wastes their time, not to mention they have to dispose of the stuff.

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2013, 12:43:38 PM »
Yeah no, most charities have strict guidelines on what foods they can accept.  And expired foods, especially that far back expired would be a huge no no.  I wouldn't even dream of donating much less eating them.  Toss them out. 

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2013, 12:44:37 PM »
No question, do not donate. I used to volunteer at a food pantry and one of the biggest problems they had was people donating out-of-date items. It wastes their time, not to mention they have to dispose of the stuff.

I have to say I was taken aback at all the signs exclaiming "NO EXPIRED OR OPENED GOODS".  So it's really that common and people do this?

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2013, 12:46:34 PM »
I was inspired by the various posts on this topic in several different threads.

Due to being married to someone with "issues" regarding wasting money, food, or anything else - I do have to wrap the expired food stuffs and put them in the trash a little at a time.  I figure one bag twice a week is still getting some of the "stuff" out of my pantry & fridge.

It helps if I can show him something that has clearly spoiled....fuzzy stuff is supposed to be gotten rid of!  It's the stuff that isn't obviously "bad" that he doesn't know why I want to get rid of it.....

Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2013, 01:46:01 PM »

I have to say I was taken aback at all the signs exclaiming "NO EXPIRED OR OPENED GOODS".  So it's really that common and people do this?

Oh, yes.  I do a shift for Christmas Cheer every year.  You'd be amazed at the crap people 'donate'. 
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

shygirl

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2013, 02:10:00 PM »
Okay!  I have thrown out the stuff!  Thanks

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2013, 02:16:18 PM »

It is common.  :-[

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2013, 03:45:44 PM »

Oh, yes.  I do a shift for Christmas Cheer every year.  You'd be amazed at the crap people 'donate'. 

I used to work at a thrift shop that took items on a consignment basis - we had more than one coffee maker brought in that still have the used coffee grounds & filter in it (found when the thing didn't sell in 8 weeks and we were putting it in the "clearance" room - after 8 weeks, it had to be picked up or it was considered a donation toward the scholarship fund that our percentage of the sales went to).  There were glass items that clearly came out of a garage or storage unit without having been washed (dusty & "greasy"); we got to turn down stuffed animals & mattresses (thank the health department).  There were other items that came in that *might* have sold (or sold faster for full price instead of being discounted after 4 weeks).

We didn't take food stuffs - again, thank you health department!
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2013, 10:02:44 AM »
Okay!  I have thrown out the stuff!  Thanks

You did the right thing, OP.  :)