Author Topic: Good news! Now you can register for a new car!  (Read 3227 times)

CluelessBride

Good news! Now you can register for a new car!
« on: January 26, 2013, 10:24:25 PM »
Not planning to go on a honeymoon but still wanting to ask for cash? Now you can register for a car. Like honeymoon registries, its basically just a convoluted way to give cash - the recipients don't have to use the money on a car. And the service takes nearly 10% of any money raised in fees.

The best part is you can register for specific parts. Nothing says, "Congrats on you upcoming celebratory event!" like a parking brake.

http://www.dodgedartregistry.com/
http://editorial.autos.msn.com/blogs/autosblogpost.aspx?post=27746740-46b0-4199-964e-a917c30922f5&icid=autos_3941

All kidding aside, I'm curious how people feel about this compared to a honeymoon registry. Same thing? Or is it different because it does provide a physical object (assuming the couple/individual use the money for the car)?

To be honest, if I learn through the grapevine that someone doesn't want physical gifts/would prefer money, I'll gift money/gift cards/experience gifts as appropriate. But there is something about out right asking for it that feels off to me - more so now than it used to. Beyond that, the fees these registries charge bothers me even more. If I'm going to give $100, I'd like the recipient to get $100.

Jocelyn

Re: Good news! Now you can register for a new car!
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2013, 11:14:41 PM »
Pod.
It seems silly and wasteful. I was raised that when one is given cash, one is honor-bound to notify the gift-giver how you plan to use their generous contribution. For example, my HS grad money was earmarked for a set of luggage to take to college with me. Something that givers could be happy about contributing to, as it was obviously a necessary item. So it wouldn't bother me to hear via the grapevine that the couple was saving for a car, and I think it might even be funny to get a thank you note for having donated a parking brake for the car. But yes, I'd want them to get all the money, so I'd send the check to them personally.

JeseC

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 12:41:20 AM »
I could see it not being too bad.  There's still a lot of people that consider straight cash to be rude.  Unfortunately many of the couples I've seen getting married now are a bit older than I am and trying to figure out how to fit two apartments of stuff into one apartment!  Cars are always one of the big ticket items that could use the extra help.

That said, I really would rather just have a "donate money to our car fund!" than give 10% to a company for collecting my money.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2013, 03:46:31 AM »
i never understood why a "honeymoon fund" was considered less tacky/rude than no-strings-tied cash. I'd rather just give a check/cash for whatever amount and let the happy couple do whatever they want with it.  i certainly would rather give the amount i want to give without some "bank" taking 10% for their troubles.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

jmarvellous

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2013, 10:33:17 AM »
People are trying to persuade us to register for a "Honeyfund,"  and anything that adds to the legitimacy of this concept bugs me, though I'm not convinced this one helps it! If anything,i think it points to the absurdity of the concept.

Apparently it's a personal insult to refuse to register in the way your friends have. (And not registering at all? Oh, the horror!)

Amara

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2013, 01:48:16 PM »
I must be getting old. I must be getting cranky. I hate these "gimme" so-called registries. It's like begging has gone from a corner-and-cardboard profession to one where anyone can say "gimme" on a technological, and therefore not quite as dirty, level--and not be slapped down for it.  >:(

*dang typos*

« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 01:54:22 PM by Amara »

yokozbornak

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2013, 03:41:45 PM »
I must be getting old. I must be getting cranky. I hate these "gimme" so-called registries. It's like begging has gone from a corner-and-cardboard profession to one where anyone can say "gimme" on a technological, and therefore not quite as dirty, level--and not be slapped down for it.  >:(

*dang typos*

Right there with you. 

A friend sent me a link to her cousin's adoption Facebook page yesterday, and it made me want to beat my head against the wall.  Said cousin and his wife have two boys and now have decided they want a girl.  Afraid that Mother Nature will play a dirty trick on them and give them another boy, they have decided to adopt a girl (the actually say this on the page although couched in more PC terms).  Of course, they have no money so they are now trying to raise 20K to pay for the whole adoption.  They don't even have 1K to do the initial homestudy.  I was flabbergasted.  The whole page tells about their longing for a daughter since the ended up with two sons and then gives links to PayPal so people can make donations.  They were talking about how everyone who donated could be part of something so special and life-affirming and how the donations would be helping them make a family.   Blech! 

I don't mind helping those who want to adopt in certain circumstances, but this is beyond the pale for me.  If this couple can't come up with 1K to pay for a home study, how in the world can they afford to raise three children?

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2013, 04:30:48 PM »
The whole page tells about their longing for a daughter since the ended up with two sons ...

The sons must feel so loved ...   :'(

yokozbornak

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2013, 04:32:40 PM »
The whole page tells about their longing for a daughter since the ended up with two sons ...

The sons must feel so loved ...   :'(

I know.  The whole thing made me sad, angry, and ill at the same time. 

heartmug

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2013, 12:11:59 PM »

I must be getting old and cranky too.  I heard about this on the news and thought "What?!"  If I want a friend or relative to have money, I give them money for whatever event in life.  They can use it as they please.  If they start one of these "give me registeries" I have to fight the urge to lecture on the value of saving up for something.
One option in a tug of war with someone is just to drop the rope.

NyaChan

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2013, 06:50:11 PM »
I really think technology makes people super bold.  For me, if I wouldn't ask in person or say it in person, no way should I send it electronically.

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2013, 08:03:08 PM »
I just saw a New Car registry ad, and thought it was a joke  :o.  It was "Dad can sponsor the engine block, Grandpa can sponsor the rims..etc."  Just when you think you've seen it all.

To answer the question, I'm not fond of registries, period-honeymoon or otherwise.  They were originally for the silver and china pieces at department stores, not for cars, honeymoons or every doodad under the sun.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 08:05:02 PM by guihong »

CluelessBride

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2013, 12:24:59 AM »
To answer the question, I'm not fond of registries, period-honeymoon or otherwise.  They were originally for the silver and china pieces at department stores, not for cars, honeymoons or every doodad under the sun.

I actually like registries/wish lists in general for a couple reasons. A big one is that for an event  like a wedding where the couple is receiving many gifts from many different people, it's nice to coordinate and know what others have gotten them.  Plus, sometimes (with weddings especially) I feel like I'm gifting someone who I know well, but don't know much about their tastes. For example, my cousin recently got married. While I know him fairly well because we used to spend some holidays together growing up and have kept in touch via facebook, I've never been in his home. Or the home of his now wife. So instead of guessing at their style, I just picked something off the registry that reminded me of him.

I also feel like there are more options for doodads than their used to be. For example at amazon their are over 3000 results for "toaster" (under kitchen and dining).  As a giver if I'm going to give someone a toaster, I personally would want to give them the toaster of their dreams. Because while there would be nothing wrong with just any old toaster, I'd hate for them to feel like they now couldn't have the toaster they really wanted (and were perhaps willing to buy themselves) because they had another one that worked just fine.

Of course, as a recipient, I always graciously accept any gift. But as a giver, I like to be able to know if the recipient has any preferences.

But the thing about car/honeymoon/cash registries is that you aren't really wishing for things, you are asking for cash. There is no requirement it be used for what you've registered for/the giver has selected. And generally you are registering for things far more expensive than even a generous gift for you circle.