General Etiquette > Life...in general

Good news! Now you can register for a new car!

<< < (3/3)

NyaChan:
I really think technology makes people super bold.  For me, if I wouldn't ask in person or say it in person, no way should I send it electronically.

guihong:
I just saw a New Car registry ad, and thought it was a joke  :o.  It was "Dad can sponsor the engine block, Grandpa can sponsor the rims..etc."  Just when you think you've seen it all.

To answer the question, I'm not fond of registries, period-honeymoon or otherwise.  They were originally for the silver and china pieces at department stores, not for cars, honeymoons or every doodad under the sun.

CluelessBride:

--- Quote from: guihong on January 28, 2013, 08:03:08 PM ---To answer the question, I'm not fond of registries, period-honeymoon or otherwise.  They were originally for the silver and china pieces at department stores, not for cars, honeymoons or every doodad under the sun.

--- End quote ---

I actually like registries/wish lists in general for a couple reasons. A big one is that for an event  like a wedding where the couple is receiving many gifts from many different people, it's nice to coordinate and know what others have gotten them.  Plus, sometimes (with weddings especially) I feel like I'm gifting someone who I know well, but don't know much about their tastes. For example, my cousin recently got married. While I know him fairly well because we used to spend some holidays together growing up and have kept in touch via facebook, I've never been in his home. Or the home of his now wife. So instead of guessing at their style, I just picked something off the registry that reminded me of him.

I also feel like there are more options for doodads than their used to be. For example at amazon their are over 3000 results for "toaster" (under kitchen and dining).  As a giver if I'm going to give someone a toaster, I personally would want to give them the toaster of their dreams. Because while there would be nothing wrong with just any old toaster, I'd hate for them to feel like they now couldn't have the toaster they really wanted (and were perhaps willing to buy themselves) because they had another one that worked just fine.

Of course, as a recipient, I always graciously accept any gift. But as a giver, I like to be able to know if the recipient has any preferences.

But the thing about car/honeymoon/cash registries is that you aren't really wishing for things, you are asking for cash. There is no requirement it be used for what you've registered for/the giver has selected. And generally you are registering for things far more expensive than even a generous gift for you circle.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version