General Etiquette > Life...in general

Good news! Now you can register for a new car!

<< < (2/3) > >>

Amara:
I must be getting old. I must be getting cranky. I hate these "gimme" so-called registries. It's like begging has gone from a corner-and-cardboard profession to one where anyone can say "gimme" on a technological, and therefore not quite as dirty, level--and not be slapped down for it.  >:(

*dang typos*

yokozbornak:

--- Quote from: Amara on January 27, 2013, 01:48:16 PM ---I must be getting old. I must be getting cranky. I hate these "gimme" so-called registries. It's like begging has gone from a corner-and-cardboard profession to one where anyone can say "gimme" on a technological, and therefore not quite as dirty, level--and not be slapped down for it.  >:(

*dang typos*

--- End quote ---

Right there with you. 

A friend sent me a link to her cousin's adoption Facebook page yesterday, and it made me want to beat my head against the wall.  Said cousin and his wife have two boys and now have decided they want a girl.  Afraid that Mother Nature will play a dirty trick on them and give them another boy, they have decided to adopt a girl (the actually say this on the page although couched in more PC terms).  Of course, they have no money so they are now trying to raise 20K to pay for the whole adoption.  They don't even have 1K to do the initial homestudy.  I was flabbergasted.  The whole page tells about their longing for a daughter since the ended up with two sons and then gives links to PayPal so people can make donations.  They were talking about how everyone who donated could be part of something so special and life-affirming and how the donations would be helping them make a family.   Blech! 

I don't mind helping those who want to adopt in certain circumstances, but this is beyond the pale for me.  If this couple can't come up with 1K to pay for a home study, how in the world can they afford to raise three children?

gramma dishes:

--- Quote from: yokozbornak on January 27, 2013, 03:41:45 PM ---The whole page tells about their longing for a daughter since the ended up with two sons ...

--- End quote ---

The sons must feel so loved ...   :'(

yokozbornak:

--- Quote from: gramma dishes on January 27, 2013, 04:30:48 PM ---
--- Quote from: yokozbornak on January 27, 2013, 03:41:45 PM ---The whole page tells about their longing for a daughter since the ended up with two sons ...

--- End quote ---

The sons must feel so loved ...   :'(

--- End quote ---

I know.  The whole thing made me sad, angry, and ill at the same time. 

heartmug:

--- Quote from: Amara on January 27, 2013, 01:48:16 PM ---I must be getting old. I must be getting cranky. I hate these "gimme" so-called registries. It's like begging has gone from a corner-and-cardboard profession to one where anyone can say "gimme" on a technological, and therefore not quite as dirty, level--and not be slapped down for it.  >:(

--- End quote ---

I must be getting old and cranky too.  I heard about this on the news and thought "What?!"  If I want a friend or relative to have money, I give them money for whatever event in life.  They can use it as they please.  If they start one of these "give me registeries" I have to fight the urge to lecture on the value of saving up for something.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version