News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• August 29, 2015, 02:34:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: DECLUTTERING  (Read 74657 times)

Bijou

• Super Hero!
Re: DECLUTTERING
« Reply #705 on: August 19, 2015, 10:41:27 PM »

Every day since that first day I have been changing  things, getting more and more organized, happier and more stress free than I have been in years.  I think I have cooked more in the last week or two than I have in the past 30 years!  I put all my bags of beans and lentils and in canning jars and have them displayed instead of just the bags of them tossed in a big bowl, taking up space.  My kitchen is under control!  Finally!  And I am oh, so happy and relaxed! 
This wonderful frenzy has spread into other areas of the house, and I am on a roll!.  yay!!!

Yay for you! I feel the same way when i make space for things, by getting rid of things I don't need, and have them organized. I am so much less stressed.

My mom is moving in a couple of months, and we are playing musical furniture. I know of at least one bookcase I may get rid of, possibly two. She may take one or both, or neither. I'm also getting rid of two smaller chairs, and taking on two larger ones in return. And a tall cabinet with glass doors and 3 or 4 shelves, which will not take up much room, can go where one of the bookcases is now, and can hold some things, and display them nicely.

And on decluttering, i started another thread about Poshmark; going to go thorugh my stuff and see what I can post to sell!

I have not heard of Poshmark and didn't see the other thread.  I did look it up online.  Interesting. 
I love rearranging and getting rid of things.  It's so renewing.
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #706 on: August 19, 2015, 10:48:12 PM »
Bijou, I know that feeling! I moved a ton (okay, only 24) of crates out of the sewing/guest room to make room for an actual guest. I moved them into the computer room. Dh has told me that they can stay there if I work on sewing down my stash! So, since I could almost see the closet door, I moved stuff around and consolidated some boxes and got rid of some stuff. When I was done doing that, I moved six of the crates into the closet! So now I am trying to figure out a way to have both my serger and sewing machine up at the same time. (That would definitely help with the "sew down the stash" agreement I made with DH.)

PS Bookcases are evidently my downfall; If there is a shelf empty, I buy more books to fill them up! I am now on a self imposed ban on buying until I have reduced the books, which would make space for my patterns, or so I keep telling myself!
If you love to sew, this could be a lot of fun for  you! 
Hmmm, I wonder if I can combine some of the storage boxes and bins we have in the computer room.  I'll bet that would end up with my getting rid of a lot of stuff. 
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #707 on: August 23, 2015, 02:14:49 PM »
The bracket holding up the rod in my closet recently broke.  What an opportunity to pare down my wardrobe, and I did so.  There were things in there I hadn't worn in over 10 years, and to Goodwill they're going.  There were also some things left over from when I worked in an office, which I haven't done in over 10 years, and those are also going to Goodwill.  I kept two pairs of black dress slacks, and all the others are going to Goodwill.  I also kept one black dress, as I don't have the type of lifestyle that calls for fancy dresses more than once a decade, and the last time I wore the black dress in question was to a funeral.  Plus, it's a top and skirt, so I can mix and match.  I had had several satin big shirts, and I'm sending all of them but the black one to Goodwill, as the black one can be dressed up so many different ways.  This led me to go through my dresser drawers, and I'm sending several T-shirts that I either don't like or don't fit right to Goodwill.  I also went through my scarf collection, and there were scarves in there I had never worn so to Goodwill they go unless I really liked them. 

My SIL said, "If you haven't worn it in a year, you should get rid of it."  While I can agree with that in principle I didn't wear my heavy winter coat last winter, and I'm keeping it.  I also have clothes I only wear during hot weather or during cold weather. 

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #708 on: August 23, 2015, 11:57:26 PM »
The bracket holding up the rod in my closet recently broke.  What an opportunity to pare down my wardrobe, and I did so.  There were things in there I hadn't worn in over 10 years, and to Goodwill they're going.  There were also some things left over from when I worked in an office, which I haven't done in over 10 years, and those are also going to Goodwill.  I kept two pairs of black dress slacks, and all the others are going to Goodwill.  I also kept one black dress, as I don't have the type of lifestyle that calls for fancy dresses more than once a decade, and the last time I wore the black dress in question was to a funeral.  Plus, it's a top and skirt, so I can mix and match.  I had had several satin big shirts, and I'm sending all of them but the black one to Goodwill, as the black one can be dressed up so many different ways.  This led me to go through my dresser drawers, and I'm sending several T-shirts that I either don't like or don't fit right to Goodwill.  I also went through my scarf collection, and there were scarves in there I had never worn so to Goodwill they go unless I really liked them. 

My SIL said, "If you haven't worn it in a year, you should get rid of it."  While I can agree with that in principle I didn't wear my heavy winter coat last winter, and I'm keeping it.  I also have clothes I only wear during hot weather or during cold weather.
Your work clothing that is going to the thrift stores will probably be of great use to people who are re entering the job market.  There are even organizations that help people get ready for going back to work.  When I worked at social services one of the departments helped people to get ready for reentering the job market and provided work in office type clothing and clothing for doing job interviews.  I think it is wonderful when people can find things of that kind of value.  A lot of what  you see is everyday good stuff but not work type stuff.  And of course it is always great to free up space! 

gmatoy

« Reply #709 on: August 24, 2015, 01:19:40 AM »
I love these updates, they help keep me on task!

So, I bought a box that fits on a shelf, sticking out slightly. It holds a lot more books than that space did before and I have liberated several more shelves on the Billy bookcases. So I have moved sewing stuff over and am still clearing up some more space. Floor is almost clutter free and I'm sticking with it this time!

And I'm sewing almost daily!

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #710 on: August 24, 2015, 07:30:55 AM »
I'm anticipating some decluttering, but more shifting stuff around when my mom moves. I'm getting rid of one bookcase,and replacing it with a glass fronted cabinet with shelves. Not quite sure if that will go where the boookcase is now, or somewhere else. But the good thing is i can take some nice glasses I have packed away out, and put them in the cabinet, which will declutter some closet space!

I also have to make sure that stuff is out of the way when the movers come to bring that cabinet, and also two chairs i'm swapping out. I will be quite busy that week!

Coralreef

« Reply #711 on: August 24, 2015, 07:54:52 AM »
I decluttered the bathroom closet/drawers/pharmacy.  Once that was done, I went through my craft/sewing room.  A lot of stuff went to the garbage can, some other will go to Goodwill. 

Almost forgot, the shed also got a clean out  :D .  I can actually get inside! 

[/right

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #712 on: August 24, 2015, 09:17:59 AM »
The clothing consignment shop near me is very fussy with what they take and a lot of stuff can be worn for work.  If you take stuff in there, anything that doesn't sell, you can pick up and either try to sell it again later or donate it yourself.  Or for the truly lazy like me, you can just not worry about picking it up and they donate anything not picked back up to the local women's shelter.  Win win - it's out of my closet, I might get some money for it and if I don't?  It's donated to a good cause and I didn't have to do the driving around to donate it.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #713 on: August 24, 2015, 10:07:01 AM »
And I'm plus sized, so that's an added advantage.  I worked in a hospital records department, so I was always pulling charts and then having to hike through the hospital to deliver urgent dictations.  As a result I wore nice slacks and jackets with short sleeves.  I made most of the jackets myself.  I also wore big shirts and nice slacks.  Until the rod bracket broke I didn't realize exactly how much stuff I still had in that closet that I hadn't worn in years.  While I don't need a lot of dressy clothes I do have a few items that can be dressed up.

The one who needs to clean out his closet is Mr. Sirius.  He's got things in there that he's had longer than I've known him (coming up on 20 years). 

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #714 on: August 24, 2015, 10:47:28 AM »
And I'm plus sized, so that's an added advantage.  I worked in a hospital records department, so I was always pulling charts and then having to hike through the hospital to deliver urgent dictations.  As a result I wore nice slacks and jackets with short sleeves.  I made most of the jackets myself.  I also wore big shirts and nice slacks.  Until the rod bracket broke I didn't realize exactly how much stuff I still had in that closet that I hadn't worn in years.  While I don't need a lot of dressy clothes I do have a few items that can be dressed up.

The one who needs to clean out his closet is Mr. Sirius.  He's got things in there that he's had longer than I've known him (coming up on 20 years).
There are so few nice things in plus size in thrift stores, and I speak from experience.  I now think even more that what you are planning to donate will be so welcome! 

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • I am not sweating, I'm glowing!
« Reply #715 on: August 24, 2015, 08:23:40 PM »

We had mildew in the closet back in June - all of VorGuy's suits went to the dry cleaners.  Our son picked out two that he liked for future job interviews & such - they were tailored for his paternal grandfather, they fit his dad except for the hems being slightly long (VorGuy wore heeled cowboy boots when wearing them), and they seem to fit him fairly well.  Maybe not like they were tailored "just for him" - but well enough for a college student to get by with.

And the rest will be going back in VorGuy's closet now that last week's sewage backup has been dealt with.  We still need replacement flooring - but due to one thing and another (college tuition, books, a car repair, and a car accident that we're waiting to see how much it will cost - we'll have to pay the deductible) - it's not at the top of the list of things to do for a few weeks.

Knowing VorGuy, it's going to take a while for him to make up his mind what he wants to do anyway...and knowing me, we're going to have to come up with a solution & color scheme that both of us like.  We have until next week before a contractor we've used before will be available, so, time to do a little shopping and "story boarding". 

He wants tropical beach and I want Roman bath...this might be a bit of a stretch, but I found two or three ideas in a Google search...you really can find anything on Google.

I've cleared two smaller sized wardrobes out of my closet in the last two years - and found that I might be up to sewing some new clothes...I ordered some real linen last night.  Houston has been hot enough to make me want to run around in real fiber clothing...which is not available at a "reasonable" price in plus sizes.  And since I've been a size 14 or larger since high school - I've been defined as "plus size" most of my life.  Why is a size 12 considered "plus size"?  I have not the faintest idea, since a 14 is supposed to be "average"...
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

gmatoy

« Reply #716 on: August 25, 2015, 01:39:34 AM »
More books, magazines, and fabric out of the house! One whole area is now being used for sewing and it looks better than it ever has!

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • I am not sweating, I'm glowing!
« Reply #717 on: August 26, 2015, 07:42:38 PM »
Lawnmower died Monday - it's at the shop now.  Van spent the night in the shop Monday night - the part got there late and we had an errand to run on the way home, two minutes before closing is not a great time to go in to pick up something and ask for the details on what was done.  So - I waited until the next morning.

Now - to pull some outgrown purple shirts out of the closet and take them to the Red Hat group tomorrow = if it fits them, they can have it.  I'm getting rid of anything that is more than one size "too small" (and only because I really do need to do something about my cholesterol & blood sugar levels - I'm not diabetic - but I have a lot of relatives who are, so, it's time to get on the prevention wagon a little more firmly).

Anything that comes out of the closet is good right now - we need to empty it, rip out the 10% or so carpet that remains, decide what to do, install new flooring (sooner or later), and possibly do a little painting - then rehang everything. 

Which will let me ask "do you plan to wear this any time soon" of VorGuy.  After he "retires" in early December, there are a few things that can be purged from the closet due to not needing "that sort of thing" any longer!
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?