News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• March 29, 2015, 09:32:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What "Amazing Opportunities" (to be used) have you passed up?  (Read 57329 times)

viedejoie

Re: What "Amazing Opportunities" (to be used) have you passed up?
« Reply #375 on: March 17, 2015, 01:18:54 PM »
Went to the Powell's over at Cedar Hills.  Had a great time.

While someone from my side of town might mock anything requiring the 217, that does sound nice.  I haven't been to the new one since they moved from (I presume they moved, and didn't add a location?) the Wa Sq location.

Did they have their big 30% off sale last month?  I kept waiting for the info, but never saw it.  I would hate to have missed it...

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #376 on: March 18, 2015, 02:13:47 PM »
FINALLY finished the whole thread!  I'm glad I didn't wait any longer. 

This is a very old story.  Remember when those coupon books were a brand-new thing, and very exciting?  Yeah, now they're just an annoyance (for me, the single person who eats out alone. What do I need with a BOGO meal?)
Anyway....I had a roommate who is the subject of many great stories, but not really etiquette-related, so you wouldn't have heard of them.  So, she had one of those books, and there was a deal where if you pay for 3 bowling games, you get 3 of them for free!   She expected me to go bowling with her and pay for the games, and she'd take the free ones.  Her reasoning?   "It's my book!"   Yeah, I declined.
I think she talked her sister into going bowling with her, and they split the cost.  Her sister was family, after all.

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #377 on: March 18, 2015, 02:24:12 PM »
FINALLY finished the whole thread!  I'm glad I didn't wait any longer. 

This is a very old story.  Remember when those coupon books were a brand-new thing, and very exciting?  Yeah, now they're just an annoyance (for me, the single person who eats out alone. What do I need with a BOGO meal?)
Anyway....I had a roommate who is the subject of many great stories, but not really etiquette-related, so you wouldn't have heard of them.  So, she had one of those books, and there was a deal where if you pay for 3 bowling games, you get 3 of them for free!   She expected me to go bowling with her and pay for the games, and she'd take the free ones.  Her reasoning?   "It's my book!"   Yeah, I declined.
I think she talked her sister into going bowling with her, and they split the cost.  Her sister was family, after all.

That's so bad it's almost funny. It reminds me of the time I got home from work about 5pm on Friday to find a voicemail from a lady I'd been friendly acquaintances with but that's about it.

(said with a really annoyed attitude...)
"Hi. I've got tickets to ChurchFundraiserThing for this weekend. My friend was going to go with me but now she can't, so I need someone to buy this ticket because I can't afford two. I can't give you a ride but I could meet you there. Anyway, the ticket is $20. I need to know now so call me back."

I wasn't even a member of her religion, let alone her church, and we didn't really know each other. I figured she must have ran through all her actual friends and was desperately calling anyone she could think of to offload the ticket.
Oregon

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #378 on: March 18, 2015, 03:34:39 PM »
Not mine.

My friend went to Sears to buy a swimsuit. This particular location is closing and friend said she could see why. She was asked no less than three times if she wanted to open a Sears credit card. Then three more times if she wanted a rewards card (for an annual fee). The sales person refused to put the swimsuit in the bag the customer brought. She just put the receipt on the counter with the item and left it there.

I want to say no wonder your store is closing!

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #379 on: March 18, 2015, 05:52:10 PM »
Not mine.

My friend went to Sears to buy a swimsuit. This particular location is closing and friend said she could see why. She was asked no less than three times if she wanted to open a Sears credit card. Then three more times if she wanted a rewards card (for an annual fee). The sales person refused to put the swimsuit in the bag the customer brought. She just put the receipt on the counter with the item and left it there.

Just a FYI, Sears reward card is just that, it's a reward similar to the ones CVS, Walgreens, Winn Dixie, etc push.  There is no annual fee.  You just accumulate points you can redeem later as a cash discount on your order.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #380 on: March 18, 2015, 06:40:03 PM »
This is for a premium level benefits, like the Sally Beauty Supply card, which charge a $5 annual fee. I don't pay for those types of memberships, although I do have a warehouse club membership.

Edited to correct amount. My memory inflated it greatly.  :-[
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 08:11:25 PM by ladyknight1 »

greencat

« Reply #381 on: March 18, 2015, 07:52:34 PM »
This is for a premium level benefits, like the Sally Beauty Supply card, which charge a $20 annual fee. I don't pay for those types of memberships, although I do have a warehouse club membership.

Sally cards are only $5...and I get a lot more in discounts and coupons from it per month than that, because I do spend quite a bit there.  It's the only discount card I am willing to buy!

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #382 on: March 24, 2015, 04:52:22 AM »
Not mine.

Just a FYI, Sears reward card is just that, it's a reward similar to the ones CVS, Walgreens, Winn Dixie, etc push.  There is no annual fee.  You just accumulate points you can redeem later as a cash discount on your order.

There's one particular clothing store that keeps trying to get me to sign up for one of their membership cards. It does't cost me anything, I just don't shop there often enough to want to give up one of the limited card space slots in my wallet for a card I'm going to use maybe twice a year, nor do I want to have to remember to find it next year when I do go.

Last year: I was nagged repeatedly about getting one (I'm not saying I was repeately asked if I wanted one, I was aggresivly interrogated as to why I didn't want one).

This year: I said I didn't have one. Till operator didn't ask me if I wanted one, she just opened up a new one, swiped it, handed it to me, asked me to put my name and phone number on a slip of paper and that was all. I wrote down a fictitious name and fake phone number and threw the card away when I got home. I'm not going to bother keeping it safe since I'm probably not going to go to that shop for another year until they have their sales season. Plus I didn't say I wanted one, I wasn't asked if I wanted one, I just had one foisted upon me.
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

Kari

« Reply #383 on: March 24, 2015, 10:16:10 AM »
I heard from a friend yesterday who is a sommelier and throws fancy wine events for hundreds of dollars. He is very good at what he does and his work has been getting national attention. But there are a good amount of people who pester him to throw his events for them for free. He has donated a couple events here and there, but eventually he needs to make some cash so he can afford the wine! I don't think those people realize how much time goes into the planning , plus all that rigorous training he went through to get his certification. He's providing a service with a specific skill set, but I guess those people think he just walks into a store, snags some bottles off the shelf, and calls it a night.

Carotte

« Reply #384 on: March 24, 2015, 12:23:35 PM »
. He has donated a couple events here and there, but eventually he needs to make some cash so he can afford the wine! I don't think those people realize how much time goes into the planning , plus all that rigorous training he went through to get his certification. He's providing a service with a specific skill set, but I guess those people think he just walks into a store, snags some bottles off the shelf, and calls it a night.

Do you mean he doesn't charge for the wine when he donate events? He definitely should! His skill sets and preparation is enough to donate.

Kari

« Reply #385 on: March 24, 2015, 12:48:38 PM »
. He has donated a couple events here and there, but eventually he needs to make some cash so he can afford the wine! I don't think those people realize how much time goes into the planning , plus all that rigorous training he went through to get his certification. He's providing a service with a specific skill set, but I guess those people think he just walks into a store, snags some bottles off the shelf, and calls it a night.

Do you mean he doesn't charge for the wine when he donate events? He definitely should! His skill sets and preparation is enough to donate.

I'll have to ask him to be sure, but I was under the impression that he donated everything: wine, lecture, and all.

HoneyBee42

« Reply #386 on: March 24, 2015, 02:08:01 PM »
This one is actually for middle son.

Middle son has been a baseball player pretty much his whole life.  However, freshman year, he didn't make the team but was offered the student assistant (manager) position and worked with the varsity team.  Great opportunity freshman year.
Sophomore year, he made the JV team.

This year, he did not make the team, but coach said "You're a great part of the program, but we have too many 2nd basemen, etc." (note, his preferred position is SS, although he does play 2B as well, and there is only one SS on the team) and he was offered the student assistant job again.  This time (as a junior) he said no thanks.

Seriously--to give up all that time for going to practice and games, not as a player (so no chance it's going to help with college money), give up time that he could spend studying and maybe even get a paying job?  For what, the "we love you, but you're just not connected enough to be on the team"?  (Because it's pretty clear that there are connections that count more than ability--one boy who is *injured* and can't even play right now was put on the team--the injury is a shoulder injury, so even when he gets medically cleared who knows if he'll be able to play like he used to.)

becktheriddler

« Reply #387 on: March 24, 2015, 03:18:21 PM »
When I first got out of college, I responded to an ad that mentioned it had some "outside sales". What were these sales. Basically, walking along the road selling not-quite-oil-on-velvet paintings. After being "partnered" (read:dumped on the road) with one of the "experienced" (one month) salespeople, I was brought back to the business office at the end of the day to complete a "survey". Question 1. Would you be interested in doing this job daily? I firmly checked "NO" and turned it in. Surprisingly, another guy who had showed up was filling out the same survey, but completing a LOT more than I had. I guess we didn't all escape.
By Grabthat's Hammer...what a savings!

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #388 on: March 27, 2015, 04:58:42 PM »
This one is actually for middle son.

Middle son has been a baseball player pretty much his whole life.  However, freshman year, he didn't make the team but was offered the student assistant (manager) position and worked with the varsity team.  Great opportunity freshman year.
Sophomore year, he made the JV team.

This year, he did not make the team, but coach said "You're a great part of the program, but we have too many 2nd basemen, etc." (note, his preferred position is SS, although he does play 2B as well, and there is only one SS on the team) and he was offered the student assistant job again.  This time (as a junior) he said no thanks.

Seriously--to give up all that time for going to practice and games, not as a player (so no chance it's going to help with college money), give up time that he could spend studying and maybe even get a paying job?  For what, the "we love you, but you're just not connected enough to be on the team"?  (Because it's pretty clear that there are connections that count more than ability--one boy who is *injured* and can't even play right now was put on the team--the injury is a shoulder injury, so even when he gets medically cleared who knows if he'll be able to play like he used to.)

Back when I was in high school I tried out every year for the elite choirs, and every year I was turned down and told, "But you can still play your clarinet."  I wasn't turned down because I was in band, as a lot of the singers were also in band, but I didn't belong to the right group.  (The elite choir did some madrigals that called for a woodwind quintette, and I was chosen for the woodwind quintette, but that still made me feel as though the whole thing was a consolation prize.)  I got the same thing when I tried out for a play:  I was told that I wasn't chosen for a part in the play, but I was requested to play my clarinet for the orchestra.  So I agreed, and then never heard any more about music, rehearsals, etc. until I saw posters advertising the play. 

Then, a few years ago, I tried out for a special choir at church.  Didn't make it then, either, but was again told that I could "always play my clarinet with the rest of the instrumentalists."  Again I felt that it was being offered as a consolation prize.  The team manager job for the young man in the above story sounds like that to me, and my heart goes out to him.