News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• September 25, 2016, 09:25:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Party Invitation Specifics  (Read 741 times)

Outdoor Girl

Party Invitation Specifics
« on: September 06, 2016, 12:50:48 PM »
The point is somewhat moot since we've cancelled the housewarming party but I want to check in that I'm OK to do this for future parties on the invitation.

I have a severe cigarette smoke issue.  It makes me nauseous, gives me a headache.  I don't know if it is a true allergy but it is very unpleasant for me.

On the invitations I'd worked up before we decided to cancel the party, I had a line, 'Due to allergy, there will be a designated smoking area.'  Basically a heads up to everyone that at my house, you can't light up wherever, even outside.  I was going to make it comfortable - a cooler with drinks in that area, chairs, a canopy for sun or rain, butt cans, etc.

So... yay or nay?
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

gollymolly2

Re: Party Invitation Specifics
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2016, 12:56:21 PM »
In my experience, nobody is going to light up a cigarette in your house without asking. Most people will say that they're going to go outside to smoke and ask if you have a preference of exactly where they do that. So unless your friends are jerks and totally clueless, I don't think there's any need to warn about this ahead of time.

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2016, 01:01:27 PM »
In my experience, nobody is going to light up a cigarette in your house without asking. Most people will say that they're going to go outside to smoke and ask if you have a preference of exactly where they do that. So unless your friends are jerks and totally clueless, I don't think there's any need to warn about this ahead of time.

No, what I'm saying is they can't even light up wherever they like outside.  They will have to go to a designated area - downwind - so I can enjoy my party and not have to smell the smoke, even outside.  I certainly don't expect anyone to light up inside.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

TurtleDove

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2016, 01:06:02 PM »

No, what I'm saying is they can't even light up wherever they like outside.  They will have to go to a designated area - downwind - so I can enjoy my party and not have to smell the smoke, even outside.  I certainly don't expect anyone to light up inside.

I think gollymolly2 is spot on. I don't think there is any reason to warn about this ahead of time.

becktheriddler

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2016, 01:17:31 PM »
Actually, I think this is a great idea. There may also be other non-smokers who would like to know which area to avoid.
By Grabthar's Hammer...what a savings!

GardenGal

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2016, 02:29:36 PM »
I'm not allergic to smoke, but I hate the way the smell lingers inside long after the party is over.  We've always had a smoke-free home, and the only person to try to sneak a smoke was my DH's lovely grandmother, whom we had to kick out of the bathroom for smoking in there.   >:D   Luckily, here in So. California there are less smokers than when we lived in other places, and it hasn't happened in over 30 years.  I can't recall anyone ever complaining when we told them our home was smoke-free, but if one of your guests did I don't think it would be unreasonable to point them to an area outside our home and say, "you can smoke there so the smoke doesn't blow back inside."  I wouldn't tell people about this in the invitation unless you think there will be a lot of smokers attending your party.

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2016, 02:40:50 PM »
The plan is for an outdoor party, which we will hopefully be able to have either later this fall or next spring.  And in my experience, smokers aren't really careful about where they light up as long as they are outside.  I have no concerns that anyone will light up inside the house.  But I don't want them to light up just anywhere outside, either.  Hence, the designated downwind zone.

There would be the potential for a surprising number of smokers at the party.  Almost half my ball team smokes and about 1/3 of BF's friends smoke.
Ontario

GardenGal

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2016, 02:49:13 PM »
There would be the potential for a surprising number of smokers at the party.  Almost half my ball team smokes and about 1/3 of BF's friends smoke.
  In this case, I'd advise making a very large attractive sign "Smoking Area" and put it at your designated area along with chairs, cooler, etc. as in your first post.  No point in putting it in the invitation, tho, just mention your allergy and point out the area to everyone as they arrive.  Have fun!

Chickadee

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2016, 03:26:51 PM »
  In this case, I'd advise making a very large attractive sign "Smoking Area" and put it at your designated area along with chairs, cooler, etc. as in your first post.  No point in putting it in the invitation, tho, just mention your allergy and point out the area to everyone as they arrive.  Have fun!

Yes, this. I'm a smoker, and like most other smokers I would never dream of lighting up inside. I don't even smoke in my own house. When I'm in a situation like you are describing Outdoor Girl, I would still ask if/where I could smoke outside. But.... many other smokers do not even think of it.

I really like the idea of the comfortable smoking area you are going to set up. Many people who are non-smokers would not think of it.

I would not include it on the invitations, though. You and your BF may have to be vigilant at the start of the party, but if the sign and area are clearly visible I bet you'll be okay.

Chez Miriam

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2016, 03:44:48 PM »

Yes, this. I'm a smoker, and like most other smokers I would never dream of lighting up inside. I don't even smoke in my own house. When I'm in a situation like you are describing Outdoor Girl, I would still ask if/where I could smoke outside. But.... many other smokers do not even think of it.

I really like the idea of the comfortable smoking area you are going to set up. Many people who are non-smokers would not think of it.

I would not include it on the invitations, though. You and your BF may have to be vigilant at the start of the party, but if the sign and area are clearly visible I bet you'll be okay.

I think most smokers would just assume that it's OK to smoke outside, so a clearly-labelled zone is a great way to go, but like others I wouldn't mention it on the invite.  When we have a party, I tend to greet people with "drinks in the kitchen <points>, loo down the hall <points>, coats on the bed - here let me take it, food in the dining room, smoking in the garden" as I don't want anyone feeling lost or that they have to ask for the basics.  That would be the time to say "smoking downwind there <point>", rather than on the invite, IMO.
"All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well."  - Julian of Norwich

Hmmmmm

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2016, 04:25:57 PM »
I don't think there's a reason to mention that you'll have a designated area at the party given you were planning to set up a very pleasant space for them.

Instead you can just direct people to the smoking area if you see them about to light up and you can also let other's know that you need smokers to stay in a specific area when smoking. You could even have a little sign saying "Designated Smoking Area".  Just have nice seating and ashtrays in that area. Spread the word to a few friends that you have a severe reaction and they'll assist with gettitng people to the correct locations.

EmmaJ.

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2016, 04:33:24 PM »
It sounds like a lovely idea, but be prepared for push-back.  Several years ago, I was at a birthday party and the hostess set up lawn chairs and ashtrays about 60 fee away from the house.

There was only one smoker among the guests, and he "refused to be ostracized".  He would light up the instant he stepped outside and said being outside was enough and the wind would soon blow the smoke away.

No, no it didn't.   >:(

Carotte

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2016, 04:44:11 PM »
I wouldn't put it on the invitation either, and would do as Chez Miriam, when you greet your guests you give them the run down of what is where, and if they're smokers where the smoking area is.
Hopefully since it seems there will be plenty of smokers no one will be left alone in their corner. Just don't put the food near them otherwise every one will flock there!  :P

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2016, 04:46:18 PM »
It sounds like a lovely idea, but be prepared for push-back.  Several years ago, I was at a birthday party and the hostess set up lawn chairs and ashtrays about 60 fee away from the house.

There was only one smoker among the guests, and he "refused to be ostracized".  He would light up the instant he stepped outside and said being outside was enough and the wind would soon blow the smoke away.

Yeah, that guy would be turfed from my property right quick.
Ontario

HannahGrace

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2016, 05:24:28 PM »

Yeah, that guy would be turfed from my property right quick.

As someone who is still having asthma issues and chest pain two days after attending a rooftop party with people smoking ...definitely stand your ground. And be super sure that what you think of as downwind actually is. I didn't stay long once I realized how many people were smoking, but there was no way to be totally clear of the smoke.