News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• May 05, 2016, 07:55:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 2624383 times)

siamesecat2965

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #22860 on: May 03, 2016, 08:16:51 AM »
The problem with Windows 10 is it is now considered a recommended update, and will auto-install if you have updates set to go automatically. Which is an issue, since it is not compatible with my work programs or my school software.  ::)

There are several issues to be aware of here. First, users on metered connections must either turn off recommended updates or disable automatic updates altogether if you donít want the 6GB download to count against your monthly limit. Simply deleting the file isnít sufficient, your OS will download it again. Microsoft doesnít recommend disabling automatic update, but the company has no solution for users who canít spare the bandwidth to download the OS, but donít want the update.

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/222326-look-out-microsoft-shifts-windows-10-to-recommended-update-automatic-download

And that is one reason why mine isn't set to auto update. I don't have Microsoft office on my machine, too cheap to buy it, and honestly don't really need it. So I don't update those either. WHat I do need to start doing is turning it on on a more regular basis, so i can update with what i want and need.

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #22861 on: May 03, 2016, 09:13:18 AM »
My son's new laptop does not have an option other than auto update, as Windows 10 requires.  ::) This means that his premium graphic software stops working until they apply the patches. http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2016/04/23/windows-10-updates-new-crashes/#2ae6880e1039
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

magicdomino

« Reply #22862 on: May 03, 2016, 09:39:09 AM »
Correct. Windows 10 is a super-duper suggested with cherry on top upgrade, but not mandatory.

Actually, the geeky news is that it will eventually ask you if you want to upgrade *now* or *tonight* and you have to cancel out to avoid scheduling the upgrade.

If you want to watch DVDs & movies on your computer - stick to Windows 7 or a version of 8 - Windows 10 does not have a media app.  You have to find & pay for a third party app or program.  Good luck...

My older Dell Latitude laptop is not compatible with Windows 10 - no driver updates, for one thing.  The newer Toshiba Satellite is compatible - but I'm still putting off the upgrade.

Some of my equipment just won't run on anything past Windows 7.

That's what happened on my computer.  Windows 10 insisted on installing, allowing a maximum of 8 hours to delay.  Turning the computer off just meant that when I finally turned it on, there would be a nice bright window saying Guess what?  You're getting the new Windows 10 in 15 minutes!  Took it three days and about 5 or 6 tries before it finally gave up.

siamesecat2965

« Reply #22863 on: May 03, 2016, 02:19:29 PM »
My son's new laptop does not have an option other than auto update, as Windows 10 requires.  ::) This means that his premium graphic software stops working until they apply the patches. http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2016/04/23/windows-10-updates-new-crashes/#2ae6880e1039

Oh that's not right at all, and annoying! Its like anything that you have to opt out of vs. opting in.

turtleIScream

« Reply #22864 on: May 03, 2016, 03:11:27 PM »
Someone decided that today at 3:00 pm would be a great time to have mulch delivered to my kids' school. And that parking the big truck in the pick-up lane was a great idea, as well as driving golf carts on the sidewalk. And that swinging rakes around (the hefty metal ones, not standard leaf rakes) when little kids are walking to their cars was acceptable. The school parking lot is already chaotic enough as it is without adding unnecessary traffic.
Life happens wherever you are, whether you make it or not. - Uncle Iroh

JadeAngel

« Reply #22865 on: Today at 12:59:12 AM »
I was sitting down having my lunch and I decided idly to watch an episode of Grey's Anatomy. I realised my mistake (sadly too late) when the doctors amputated someone's leg and then swung the severed limb around and pointed the gooey bits right at the camera.  :o

Well now I've gone right off my plate of spaghetti bolognese and thanks very much...

Venus193

• Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #22866 on: Today at 04:29:32 AM »
I was on the way to a movie theatre when someone handed me a coupon for $5 off admission to a local tourist attraction.  Their latest exhibit has "Limited Time Only" next to the name and above the photos.

No price listed on the coupon, so you don't know whether the $5 off is worth it.
No end date for the starring exhibit.

I checked the website and got the price, which was $25 for the basic admission.  Still no end date for the star exhibit.

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #22867 on: Today at 04:35:19 AM »
Correct. Windows 10 is a super-duper suggested with cherry on top upgrade, but not mandatory.
Actually, the geeky news is that it will eventually ask you if you want to upgrade *now* or *tonight* and you have to cancel out to avoid scheduling the upgrade.

If you want to watch DVDs & movies on your computer - stick to Windows 7 or a version of 8 - Windows 10 does not have a media app.  You have to find & pay for a third party app or program.  Good luck...

My older Dell Latitude laptop is not compatible with Windows 10 - no driver updates, for one thing.  The newer Toshiba Satellite is compatible - but I'm still putting off the upgrade.

Some of my equipment just won't run on anything past Windows 7.
To the bolded - that's not universally correct. My Windows 10 installation has a "Film and TV" app which plays movies just fine - and I certainly haven't paid for it.

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

Carotte

« Reply #22868 on: Today at 04:51:37 AM »
I was on the way to a movie theatre when someone handed me a coupon for $5 off admission to a local tourist attraction.  Their latest exhibit has "Limited Time Only" next to the name and above the photos.

No price listed on the coupon, so you don't know whether the $5 off is worth it.
No end date for the starring exhibit.

I checked the website and got the price, which was $25 for the basic admission.  Still no end date for the star exhibit.

Correlating to that, even if in general those kind of websites have been getting better, it shouldn't take me 5 minutes as a web savy individual to find a) opening times and b) ticket prices for your museum.
Videos, in depth view of the exibits, special stuff to engage kids are great, but pretty useless if I can't find how to get to it...

Mustard

« Reply #22869 on: Today at 07:11:02 AM »
I bought a book from a charity shop, and was having a lie-in, reading, this morning ( I can thoroughly recommend retirement!) but the book must have been a beach read for someone; I've got sand all over my bed..