News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• February 28, 2015, 09:15:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Gift Exchange Themes  (Read 416 times)

takeheart

Gift Exchange Themes
« on: February 09, 2015, 08:51:04 PM »
I host a Secret Santa-like gift exchange through Facebook. Members include moms who are personal friends of mine, as well as friends of friends who are also moms that were invited to the group. It's structured very similar to Reddit's gift exchange—moms have bio they fill out, matching is round robin, each exchange has a theme and a budget, etc. Our first exchange was a huge success! Out of 36 members, we had 24 participants from 10 different states, and everyone sent their gifts by the ship date. The theme was "What a steal!" so all gifts had to be on sale or clearance and the budget was $15.

Some other ideas I had for future exchanges include:

Go Green - Gift that is eco-friendly. Ranging from upcycled crafts, organic snacks, reusable grocery bags, etc.
Snack Time - Gift must be snack-related. Maybe adventurous Asian snacks for a foodie, lots and lots of chocolates for a chocolate lover, etc.
Gift Based on a Color - Gift must be that color.

I'm need more ideas for future exchanges. Does anyone have any ideas for a gift exchange theme? It can be vague or specific themes. Members in the group come from all ages and walks of life with kids as young as infants to grown-ups.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 11:21:08 PM by takeheart »

andi

Re: Gift Exchange Themes
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2015, 10:01:17 PM »
My friend does a scarf swap in the winter and flip flop swar each summer. Big successes.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2015, 11:01:46 PM »
Unusual/new gadgets?

Organizing-the-home item?

Baskets?

You did price; what about size?  "Smaller than a bar of soap"? "smaller than a breadbox"?
"fits in a paper-towel tube"?

What about the "clock shower" idea? Gifts are supposed to correlate to time of day.

Actually, any "bridal shower" idea would work.

takeheart

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2015, 11:20:14 PM »
Unusual/new gadgets?

Organizing-the-home item?

Baskets?

You did price; what about size?  "Smaller than a bar of soap"? "smaller than a breadbox"?
"fits in a paper-towel tube"?

What about the "clock shower" idea? Gifts are supposed to correlate to time of day.

Actually, any "bridal shower" idea would work.

Price, which changes every exchange, will always be included in addition to the theme. I love the scarf idea from andi and I like the size idea a lot; I would have never considered size!

Bobbie

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2015, 12:59:00 AM »
Made of a certain material (i.e. wood, paper, cloth,  metal...)

A certain shape (i.e. round, square...)

A sound ( i.e. music, birdsong, bells, whistles...)

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2015, 08:49:18 AM »
homemade? (not specifically by the sender, but something that someone else made and you might find at an artsy fair or flea market

Support Small Business?

I love the "color" theme - one of the local mall newspapers does a spread like that, it's really cute and it never gets old.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

knitwicca

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2015, 09:18:50 AM »
I was involved with a swap that was "Pamper Me".
As busy moms, who takes the time for pampering?

We included things like herbal tea, lavender-filled eye masks...my daughter (a mom herself) found a shop that has fuzzy socks that are aloe-infused.

jmarvellous

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2015, 09:22:22 AM »
I think instead of just a "blue" theme, a "recipient's favorite color" theme would appeal to more people.

I like holiday themes, e.g., trick or treat, things you're thankful for (useful household items), or lucky charms.

What about tea time or time for a coffee break -- tea bags or coffee and little snacks and mugs or teacups?

Back to school could be a fun theme--cute office supplies or stationery

Bag it up: any kind of small bag, like a lunch bag or purse or makeup bag or reusable shopping bag

Minis: anything miniature, like small candy or small packets of treats, or sample size lip glosses and lotions, or anything someone likes that is small or at least smaller than normal size; cute little figurines or erasers or maybe small packs of accessories or pins.

Sparkle time: things that are shiny or sparkly -- gold, silver, glitter, eetc

Another Sarah

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2015, 09:24:12 AM »
Maybe pick a room, like kitchen, and pick things that would go in there - little gadgets, decorations, you can still specify a budget and it doesn't have to be huge; fridge magnets, pretty storage jars, living herbs would be all be good for a kitchen

takeheart

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2015, 01:12:10 PM »
I think instead of just a "blue" theme, a "recipient's favorite color" theme would appeal to more people.

Well, the issue with using anything the bios is that members answers as much or as little questions as they wanted. The only mandatory question was their name and address, so some bios don't include favorite color  :(

Maybe pick a room, like kitchen, and pick things that would go in there - little gadgets, decorations, you can still specify a budget and it doesn't have to be huge; fridge magnets, pretty storage jars, living herbs would be all be good for a kitchen

I love this idea too!

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2015, 01:16:59 PM »
Support Small Business?

"local or iconic to your town/state/area"?
    So, like, Cherry Mash from the St. Joseph, Missouri, area; Twin Bing from the Sioux City, Iowa, area. Or, a small windmill statue for Iowa (though, it's not that kind of windmill anymore, and there are fewer and fewer of the "water the cows" kind)

takeheart

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2015, 01:21:12 PM »
Support Small Business?

"local or iconic to your town/state/area"?
    So, like, Cherry Mash from the St. Joseph, Missouri, area; Twin Bing from the Sioux City, Iowa, area. Or, a small windmill statue for Iowa (though, it's not that kind of windmill anymore, and there are fewer and fewer of the "water the cows" kind)

That's a good one too! I'm from Texas where BBQ is big, so local barbecue sauces would be neat.