News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• April 28, 2015, 04:09:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: what was the most bonkers thing someone told you during wedding planning?  (Read 12775 times)

dawnfire

dh doesn't wear a wedding ring as his ring finger is misshapen (a workplace accident mauled it, . making it hard to size

LifeOnPluto

• Super Hero!
    • Blog
I've heard that sometimes new husbands these days - especially those who work with their hands - get tattoos of rings around their ring fingers.

jmarvellous

I've seen it on just as many women as men (which is to say a few of each). It seems to me to often be something that both members of a couple do. I also saw a lesbian couple who did it.

They look kind of worn out after a few years without touch-ups -- more so than tattoos on some less used part of the body.

Emmy

I chose a gown that was a light gold.  I felt it was pretty, unique, and suited my complexion much better than stark white.  It had nothing to do with scrabble status or relationship status.

I showed somebody a picture of the gown and she commented "that won't do.  His family will think you've been married before."

I also got annoying comments and jokes about getting pregnant on the honeymoon (DD1 arrived over 5 years later).

Somebody told me after my wedding, I could let myself go because I got the guy hooked. 

When discussing inviting family with my mom, she thought that inviting relatives that lived far and we didn't see very much was like asking for gifts, but not inviting them was excluding them.  There really is no way to win there.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 11:54:44 PM by Emmy »

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
Don't forget about the people who will tell you that it won't last because your ring wasn't big enough or wasn't diamonds. I had several people tell me that.  ::)
And on the other hand, FMIL told not-yet-DH that the rings we had chosen (white gold, with a simple engraved geometric design) together were "too fancy" and we should lock them up in a jewelry box and only wear them for "special occasions."  ::)  I could be allowed to wear a plain yellow gold ring, and DH shouldn't wear one at all.  It couldn't have been jealousy, since MIL's diamond was not only significantly bigger than mine, but accompanied by a multi-diamond anniversary band.  But that wasn't too fancy for daily wear, oh, no.   ::)

That's not bonkers, exactly, just outdated. My mom did that for years - she was born in 1931 in the US and the standard practice was that you "saved" your wedding rings for special occasions. Not until the 1950's did wedding rings for men catch on (due to advertising) - before that men did not even receive a ring, which is why wedding announcements would state that it was a "double ring" ceremony. Women would put their "good" rings into special storage and wear a plain gold band for everyday use. Most of them may have been housewives who for practical purposes, it made sense.
Nah, it was more likely because MIL was a Female Dog who hated my guts well before we got married.  We didn't come and ask her permission, you see.  ::) DH was the family Scapegoat, and scapegoats shouldn't be happy. 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
This is the story of the 'Eggshell Bride'.  It happened when I was about 8 but the tale surfaced every time a Wedding up for about 10 years. I still feel very sorry for this poor woman.

It was in the early 1950s.  Wedding gowns were about as modest as Maria's in 'The sound of Music'. It was also assumed that the dress would be dazzlingly white. 

The local newspaper came out on Thursday afternoon and listed Weddings planned in houses of worship for the weekend. Because most houses of worship in town were open during the day for private prayer, ladies of a certain age would sit in back pews to observe the ceremony.  This provided a fertile source of conversation over tea until the next Wedding surfaced. 

In this case, the Bride decided to break with tradition.  Because of her coloring, she dared to have her dress made in a color known as eggshell instead of pure white.  As the story goes, she also carried ivory roses.  Even her veil wasn't pure white!  :o. Every old biddy in town knew what THAT meant! 

The 'Eggshell Bride' was a subject of great interest until the Pastor of the church got wind of the speculation that
 was going around the congregation.  On the next Sunday, he delivered a sermon on 'The Eggshell Bride'.  He preached about how the color of the Bride's dress had nothing to do with her virtue or the sanctity of the church and how parishioners should be more open minded.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum

When discussing inviting family with my mom, she thought that inviting relatives that lived far and we didn't see very much was like asking for gifts, but not inviting them was excluding them.  There really is no way to win there.

You should have gotten a cousin to call them and tell them they were invited, but you weren't going to send them a paper invitation.

Kidding!!

(there's another thread here now in which this proposal was described)

Mergatroyd

dh doesn't wear a wedding ring as his ring finger is misshapen (a workplace accident mauled it, . making it hard to size

DH refused to have a ring, because he's seen that happen before.