News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• October 01, 2016, 05:53:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Cheapskate stories  (Read 342568 times)

Luci

Re: Cheapskate stories
« Reply #1500 on: September 02, 2016, 06:17:51 PM »
I am not really sure what that means.  Did some people not even get an initial serving?  Was there enough for firsts, but not everyone got seconds?  Was it a case of "Oh... I could eat more and probably would if it was right there in front of me..." ?

I'm not the OP, but when its happened at family meals I've been part of (I guess not as a guest since I'm family? But it wasn't my house either, it was either a day visit or for the worst offender, a weekend or week for a holiday) it means either people got a unsatisfactory portion (as in, less than half a normal serving) or yeah, some people didn't get an initial portion or "chose" not to eat because the children at the dinner needed to be fed enough that they wouldn't get upset from being hungry. (Oh yeah, I have some food issues from those meals. As a teenager/adult with no kids of my own, I was pretty heavily pressured to be the one to "not be that hungry you go ahead" when the host/ess had taken out lunch for themselves and maybe other household members from the dinner.)

A few days of that and you get REALLY bad tempered, then you get scolded or punished for not being friendly and loving enough to your family.

I would never be okay with that type of preferential treatment. In my scenario, I imagined everyone getting a first portion, just not seconds.

I think everyone sees it through their lens, when I read the original I imagined that everyone either got a non-meal amount, or some got a meal and some "bowed out" because that's how it would have gone down (and often did) at with my family.

I over cook when I'm hosting anyone. If there aren't leftovers then I cook more next time because I got so sick of being hungry at family events. None of my relatives were so impoverished they couldn't afford to provide sufficient food, they just didn't care. (I never starved or anything, but I would go a weekend or week on a couple piece of toast from breakfast, either no lunch or a lunchmeat sandwich and water, and as I said, I was pressured to bow out of dinner. Should've had a baby at 16, worked for my cousin. No one ever tried to tell her "Oh you can't possibly be hungry and the kids need to eat" after she got pregnant, even after the baby came. Plus she didn't have to go help paint a shed or fix fences during the day.)

The same folks sure ate plenty when we were the ones hosting though, and took home leftovers. Including my work lunch several times. (Boxed up after the meal, they "didn't realize" it was my food, despite the pink lunch box around the containers.)

ETA: Clarifying a sentence.

To Kimblee and all others in that situation: 😥

The only way one chicken could serve that many people is in a casserole with lots of rice and mushrooms.

DanaJ

« Reply #1501 on: September 02, 2016, 08:05:44 PM »
I think the most egregious cheapskateness I've ever heard about is when I friend of mine moved here to the Big City. She was set up on a blind date by a colleague.

The Blind Date had invited her over for cocktails before going out to dinner. In hindsight, she realized that it's because cocktails at home are much, much cheaper than a bar tab. He had asked her what type of wine she preferred. She had said she tended to drink Pino Grigio (a white wine served chilled). When she arrived at his apartment, her offered her a pinot noir (red wine served at room temperature) because, that way, he said, he "wouldn't have to plug in his refrigerator!"

VorFemme

• It's too darned hot! (song from Kiss Me, Kate)
« Reply #1502 on: September 02, 2016, 08:46:37 PM »
I think the most egregious cheapskateness I've ever heard about is when I friend of mine moved here to the Big City. She was set up on a blind date by a colleague.

The Blind Date had invited her over for cocktails before going out to dinner. In hindsight, she realized that it's because cocktails at home are much, much cheaper than a bar tab. He had asked her what type of wine she preferred. She had said she tended to drink Pino Grigio (a white wine served chilled). When she arrived at his apartment, her offered her a pinot noir (red wine served at room temperature) because, that way, he said, he "wouldn't have to plug in his refrigerator!"

On the plus side, she knew that she did not want to string that "date" out waiting for the guy to impress her...he already had, with the stunning job he was doing as a cheese paring miser.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
« Reply #1503 on: September 02, 2016, 08:55:21 PM »

On the plus side, she knew that she did not want to string that "date" out waiting for the guy to impress her...he already had, with the stunning job he was doing as a cheese paring miser.

No kidding!

And who has a part time fridge, isn't the most expensive part of a refrigerator the cooling it down for the first time? Which is why you shouldn't leave it open too long so it's doesn't have to cool again?

Or is this something my brain made up?

Harriet Jones

• Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #1504 on: September 02, 2016, 09:05:08 PM »
I knew a guy who kept his DVR unplugged unless he needed it to save electricity.  I never could figure out the point - powering it up and down all the time would put a lot of wear and tear on the drive. Replacing the thing early would negate the money he saved on electricity.

JadeAngel

« Reply #1505 on: September 03, 2016, 01:31:59 AM »
A friend of mine tells a very funny story about her first (and last) date with a guy who took her out to a restaurant for lunch. My friend ordered her meal and was a little surprised when her date asked for a pot of hot water, but not nearly as surprised as she was when he took a sachet of instant soup from his pocket and poured it into the pot.

Apparently he didn't feel he should have to pay the "exorbitant" prices the restaurant charged for their meals but he wasn't ripping them off because his date had ordered food. Sadly the restaurant manager didn't see it that way and so he finished his instant soup outside on the footpath while my friend ate her meal inside at the table. She said it was delicious but she was completely unable to enjoy it with her so called date standing on the street outside watching her through the window...

DanaJ

« Reply #1506 on: September 03, 2016, 09:27:40 AM »
A friend of mine tells a very funny story about her first (and last) date with a guy who took her out to a restaurant for lunch. My friend ordered her meal and was a little surprised when her date asked for a pot of hot water, but not nearly as surprised as she was when he took a sachet of instant soup from his pocket and poured it into the pot.

That is appalling. And beyond cheap, that actually doesn't seem like a mentally healthy individual to me. That is such a bad judgement call, it defies the notion of "reasonable person."

Sirius

• Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #1507 on: September 03, 2016, 01:43:33 PM »
I used to have a friend who had his cheapskate moments.  He was very frugal, having been the son of missionaries, but sometimes he passed the line from "frugal" to "downright cheap."  Once he took me to lunch for my birthday - then informed me at the cash register that he only had enough money to pay for his own.  Fortunately I'd always made sure I could pay my own way on dates (had to do it so many times) but I did give him a bit of a lecture - not on the fact that I'd had to pay for my own birthday lunch, but because he hadn't informed me until we had gotten to the cash register that I'd have to do so.  We'd gone to a buffet place where we had to pay first, then get our food.

One thing that was rather ironic about the whole situation was that my friend was the only unmarried male over 30 in our church's single adult group, so he was constantly being invited to dinner by women.  At least he was a good person and never took advantage of the situation, which was probably why he had so many invitations.  Once he told me he'd been accused of being a tightwad, and wanted to know if he thought I thought that.  I told him, "You do have your moments." 

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #1508 on: September 03, 2016, 03:38:13 PM »

That is appalling. And beyond cheap, that actually doesn't seem like a mentally healthy individual to me. That is such a bad judgement call, it defies the notion of "reasonable person."

I feel the same way about people who want to make lemonade with lemon slice garnishes, water and the sweetener packets on the table.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

FauxFoodist

« Reply #1509 on: September 03, 2016, 04:15:32 PM »
Once they've had meat in them, my Ziplocs still get washed out but are then recycled instead of reused.  But if they had non-meat items in them?  Rinsed out and reused all the time.  It's more of an environmental impact thing than a money thing though the saving money part is also nice.  And the ones that are too worn out get turned into bags for craft supplies and the like where a few pin holes in the bag make no difference.

Pod.  Ones that held meat do not get reused, but the others I wash and reuse all the time.

Semperviren

« Reply #1510 on: September 03, 2016, 06:30:45 PM »
Wellll....re the soup thing, I must admit that for the last several months I've done something similar, as I'm on a very restricted weight loss program and only allowed to eat the meals provided on the program. I don't think my mom and daughter should be deprived of eating out, though, so when we've gone out, I've let the waitperson know I won't be ordering food for myself, but will order a diet soda, a pot of hot water and a bowl to mix my soup. Mind you, I'm usually buying at least one other person's meal, sometimes two other people, would gladly pay any service charge for the hot water (but have never been charged) and I add a few extra dollars to the tip.

At none of the places I've done this (a couple of them pretty fancy) has the waitperson objected or even acted surprised. They've been very accommodating and helpful. I'd imagine this comes up once in awhile, where someone in a party has a dietary restriction or has already eaten and is just having a drink or something like that.

Of course, walking in and letting the waitperson know that you consider the restaurant's prices outrageous and that your intent is to take up a table without ordering anything, that's probably not going to go well.

FauxFoodist

« Reply #1511 on: September 04, 2016, 04:37:59 AM »
I don't know that it's *cheapskate* behavior, though, but a miscalculation in dinner prep.  Cooking for a larger number of people than you're used to can be difficult.  Plus, the story seems to indicate everyone got at least one serving.  OP was complaining that there wasn't enough food for seconds.

This is where I stand.  While you do have to know your guests' appetites if you want to calculate best the amount of food you'll need to make, it isn't rude or cheap to provide enough for one serving each (again, I always provide for way more than that but wouldn't look at someone as cheap or rude for not providing more than one serving per person).  We could read into it a myriad of ways, but we don't have enough info so I'm going by what was stated by the OP -- there wasn't enough for seconds.  The OP didn't say there wasn't enough for firsts, that the servings were not normal-sized, that other guests expected to be able to eat more, etc.

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #1512 on: September 04, 2016, 09:39:43 AM »
If there was enough food for everyone to have one reasonably sized serving then I wouldn't call the hostess a cheapskate.  I wouldn't consider it particularly good hosting but not necessarily cheapskate behaviour.

But if somebody didn't get even one serving or everyone's portions were small?  Yeah, that's being a cheapskate.

I had a couple of elderly friends when I moved from university to my first apartment.  We'd get together every couple of months or so and have dinner at their place or mine.  They would cook three servings.  With a serving size much smaller than what I would normally have but it was a regular sized serving for them.  I wouldn't consider that either cheapskate behaviour or poor hosting.  I'd either have a snack before I went over or have a little something more when I got home.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

Bijou

« Reply #1513 on: September 05, 2016, 08:18:10 PM »

Apparently he didn't feel he should have to pay the "exorbitant" prices the restaurant charged for their meals but he wasn't ripping them off because his date had ordered food. Sadly the restaurant manager didn't see it that way and so he finished his instant soup outside on the footpath while my friend ate her meal inside at the table. She said it was delicious but she was completely unable to enjoy it with her so called date standing on the street outside watching her through the window...
Had he never heard of just asking for the catsup along with his water?   >:D
There was a time when restaurants didn't seem to have caffeine free-sugar free beverages and I didn't hesitate to bring in one of those little tubes of sugar free flavors that you add to water.  I would get water and add my flavoring.  They didn't seem to mind.  Bless the places that have herbal teas unsweetened.  I have since switched to hot water with a slice of lemon.
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

siamesecat2965

« Reply #1514 on: September 07, 2016, 09:01:10 AM »

This needs to be submitted to "abadcaseofthedates"  Wow. I can just see him peering in the window, like a forlorn puppy, wanting to come in from the outside. Kudos to the restaurant manager for kicking out Mr. Cheapskate! I probably would have moved so I couldn't see out the window, and enjoyed my lunch!