News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• May 30, 2016, 12:05:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 2666633 times)

magicdomino

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #23040 on: May 28, 2016, 05:29:13 PM »
Passwords.  I changed my Yahoo password while at the office, because apparently the one that I wrote down was wrong.  (I try to write down hints rather than  actual passwords, but sometimes the hint is a little too obscure.).  I then wrote the new password down on a sticky note, so that I could bring it home to use there.  Guess what was left on the desk just before a 3 day weekend.   >:(

kherbert05

• Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #23041 on: May 28, 2016, 05:48:05 PM »
Passwords.  I changed my Yahoo password while at the office, because apparently the one that I wrote down was wrong.  (I try to write down hints rather than  actual passwords, but sometimes the hint is a little too obscure.).  I then wrote the new password down on a sticky note, so that I could bring it home to use there.  Guess what was left on the desk just before a 3 day weekend.   >:(

Can you use LastPass or another password manager at work? That way you only have to remember 1 very complicated (for your safety) password and all your other are very secure and complicated. I pay a small fee and have it on all my devices. My Lastpass password I took a phrase a saying I like, used the first letter of each word. Subbed numbers and symbols for some of the letters. It is 30 symbols long with no dictionary words - so you it would have to be social engineered to hack it - and I don't generally tick off people with that type of skill that badly. But it is easy to remember. I also use a VPN if I'm on public wifi. It does cause a problem with streaming video because of location restrictions.

LastPass has been recommended on tech podcasts by Tom Merrit, Brian Brushwood, Veronica Belmont, Darren Kitchen, Shannon Morse, Patrick Norton, Molly Wood - and others. It comes pretty highly recommended for normal day to day use. (If you are safe guarding nuclear secrets or are in charge of bank security that is different matter.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

kherbert05

« Reply #23042 on: May 28, 2016, 06:24:04 PM »
When people don't get and argue with me about basic things - that I've shown them proof of.

Example a friend who is part of a social group is being harassed by a jerk. The board of the group claims he has an alibi for some of the online harassment. The alibi - the IP address is mapped to a place not his home. The one time it matched with his home - he was in a store checking out just that second.

1. I provided numerous articles about the problems using IP addresses to pin point physical locations. I know some of the board members sent letters trying to make our representatives aware this is a huge problem.

2. I provided articles about the woman, who some company decided her front yard would be mapped to thousands of IP addresses resulting in her local Sheriff putting a sign in her yard asking State, federal LEOs and the general public to talk to him instead of hassling this poor woman. The couple in Austin that had their door nearly beaten down by people looking for their Iphones because Find my Iphone mapped lost phones to the house. They were dragged from their house and handcuffed with law enforcement was using a similar tech to trace the phone of a missing woman.

3. I sent them a message - sitting right next to then in Houston with and IP that said I was in in Dallas.

4. Sent them a message when they had my laptop and I was across the parking lot using a remote in program.

5. Pointed out that the harasser/stalker could have had his partner send the messages. (They both hate this girl because she called them out on some ugly behavior.)

Oh and the fact I had this information was proof I was targeting them. No I use a VPN on public wifi, I use the remote in software to 1 - scare the mischief out of kids 2 - do presentations in class and not be tied to the IWB but able to walk around the class and have kids respond using their IPads. I am an active citizen in a Democracy, who is very interested in controlling my own information and protecting people.

The really scary part - was I was talking to people who have jobs where they should have a deep understanding of how these things work. I'm an advanced basic user at best. My programming/coding skills are so outdated they are in the stone age. I don't even qualify as a script kitty. These people write code, they design websites and they believe that IP addresses are tied to physical locations forever. Oh and I must be up to no good because I use a VPN and I cite Darren Kitchen from Hack5. 

Chez Miriam

« Reply #23043 on: Yesterday at 04:22:52 AM »
I know nothing about computer security, but having regularly changed my IP address [sometimes up to four or five times a day in the 'bad old days' of really bad internet connectivity], I wouldn't regard "oh that's not his IP address" as proof of innocence.  I don't know how to use a remote one, but I sure know how to ditch an old one I don't want attached to my current profile [if only in the "switch it off, switch it on again" way.

And when I've done (one of the innumerable) speed checks, the sites have shown me as being in London, Dartford, Maidstone and Sittingbourne, when I was in the inner suburbs of Maidstone - hardly the wilds, and my physical location did not change.

Your stories about law enforcement wrongly "finding" a physical location from an IP address are terrifying!

"All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well."  - Julian of Norwich

Allyson

« Reply #23044 on: Yesterday at 03:42:41 PM »
I am annoyed at a couple of my Facebook friends who repost "outrage-causing" viral stuff on Facebook that has no particular proof attached, but often is a picture of a person or a license plate. I think it would be way way too easy for somebody to defame somebody they didn't like by attaching an anecdote to an out of context picture. For instance, taking a picture of a dog in a car and claiming "the owners left this dog in the car on a hot day for hours!" People see the picture, take it as proof, and repost it. I recently saw one that was a older and a younger woman having lunch, the younger woman with her phone out, and this whole story was attached about how the younger woman was a paid carer who was ignoring her client to text on her phone, etc etc...ok maybe but literally all we are seeing is one picture, and it makes me super uncomfortable to give identifying info attached to a negative story with no *actual* proof other than assumptions.

kherbert05

« Reply #23045 on: Yesterday at 07:27:37 PM »
I am annoyed at a couple of my Facebook friends who repost "outrage-causing" viral stuff on Facebook that has no particular proof attached, but often is a picture of a person or a license plate. I think it would be way way too easy for somebody to defame somebody they didn't like by attaching an anecdote to an out of context picture. For instance, taking a picture of a dog in a car and claiming "the owners left this dog in the car on a hot day for hours!" People see the picture, take it as proof, and repost it. I recently saw one that was a older and a younger woman having lunch, the younger woman with her phone out, and this whole story was attached about how the younger woman was a paid carer who was ignoring her client to text on her phone, etc etc...ok maybe but literally all we are seeing is one picture, and it makes me super uncomfortable to give identifying info attached to a negative story with no *actual* proof other than assumptions.

Almost a year ago your 2nd example could have been me - except with kids not an adult. I had my niece and nephew for the day. Niece had just gotten back from sleepaway camp. They aren't allowed digital anything - but are allowed disposable film cameras. (Part of the thinking is that since a grown up has to see the pictures to develop them there is less likelihood of inappropriate pictures being taken to bully people plus they can't be posted while at camp).  I had promised Niece we would drop off the cameras to be developed. SIs and I assumed the place they had been purchased would be able to send them out to be developed (they print digital photographs) but we were wrong. So when we stopped for lunch, I got out my Ipad to search for some place that could develop the pictures. I got some snarky comments about how I was being paid to babysit (the person must of overheard me say something about checking with Mom and Dad about a water park) and should be reported. My nephew outraged told them I wasn't being paid and we were trying to find someplace that developed film. All delivered with a mild lisp - which I think added to the shock value.

Mad Goat Woman

• formerly Hamlet: The Original Emo
    • Mad Goat Woman
« Reply #23046 on: Yesterday at 07:35:14 PM »
Retrieving runaway livestock is driving me up the wall at the moment-- add in a mad dog that barks at the cows [who are allowed to be where they are], and I've just about had enough of farming. Bah.

Captains Flat, Australia

Lindenharp

« Reply #23047 on: Yesterday at 09:59:23 PM »
Servers who top off my coffee cup without asking or giving me a chance to say "no, thank you". It would be fine if I drank my coffee black, but I like it light and sweet. All of a sudden, my coffee isn't just the way I like it, and I have to tinker with it to get it right.

JadeAngel

« Reply #23048 on: Yesterday at 10:49:33 PM »
I'm hopeless at defriending people on Facebook, usually if they post things that make me uncomfortable - like the climate change skeptic who continuously posts articles about how everything is just perfectly fine and all the scientists are just being hysterics, my racist uncle, or the girl whose fiancee recently broke off their engagement who posted numerous rants about how fortunate she was that she didn't have to stay in a relationship with 'that narcissist' usually I just block them and check back periodically to see if they've calmed down - at which point I take them off block.

Well Facebook has gone and changed the algorithm again so I'm seeing all the stuff I blocked and I'm having to go back and re-block it all which is unbelievably frustrating, not to mention that they've also managed to unblock fricking Farmville and I'm struggling to get rid of it again, because I don't want to see ten billion posts about how my friends need a sheep and a cow and some hay for their cow and a pink plastic flamingo for the front yard...  >:(

Chez Miriam

« Reply #23049 on: Today at 09:05:25 AM »
This doesn't drive me completely up the wall, but has me a little irritated and scratching my head...

I was catching up on the Never Shopping There Again thread, and reading about the awful delivery company practices which reminded me of Interlink Express - it's not a never-again thing [I'm not the shipper, and the chap is friendly & helpful], but they have scheduled delivery times and won't deliver before the start of the time slot!

Nice-delivery-man shows up, rings the doorbell [I'm guessing he can fill in the 'you weren't here' paperwork if there was no reply], and then says "ah, I have to wait 1/15/however-many minutes; I'm early" and then we both stand around making small talk and feeling awkward until he will no longer get penalised for his delivery.

Not too bad on Saturday [only a couple of minutes, and I was clean & tidy] but the previous time was over ten minutes of me backing away as far as possible because I'd worked up a sweat stripping doors, was *ahem* 'aromatic' (and not in a good way :( :-[).  If he was able to just ditch the parcel, I wouldn't have worried, but I was increasingly aware of how not-caller-friendly my person was!

How crazy is that?

He said [I was questioning their policy during our little chats] that it's because they've texted/emailed a delivery slot...  Which would be a fine idea, except the first I know Interlink are delivering is when the guy rings the doorbell.  Oh, well, minor irritation, and at least he doesn't mash my packages!  ;D
"All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well."  - Julian of Norwich

magicdomino

« Reply #23050 on: Today at 09:21:55 AM »

Can you use LastPass or another password manager at work? That way you only have to remember 1 very complicated (for your safety) password and all your other are very secure and complicated. I pay a small fee and have it on all my devices. My Lastpass password I took a phrase a saying I like, used the first letter of each word. Subbed numbers and symbols for some of the letters. It is 30 symbols long with no dictionary words - so you it would have to be social engineered to hack it - and I don't generally tick off people with that type of skill that badly. But it is easy to remember. I also use a VPN if I'm on public wifi. It does cause a problem with streaming video because of location restrictions.

LastPass has been recommended on tech podcasts by Tom Merrit, Brian Brushwood, Veronica Belmont, Darren Kitchen, Shannon Morse, Patrick Norton, Molly Wood - and others. It comes pretty highly recommended for normal day to day use. (If you are safe guarding nuclear secrets or are in charge of bank security that is different matter.

Our IT people are looking into approving some kind of password manager.  People in my agency have access to all sorts of sensitive databases, and ITD is understandably nervous about putting all the passwords in one virtual basket.  Meanwhile we aren't allowed to use any kind of unauthorized software.

My problem with the "Initials from a phrase" type of password is that I usually have to write the letters down in make sure they are in the right order and I didn't accidentally skip one.  Which kind of defeats the whole purpose.   :)