News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• April 28, 2017, 01:23:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 3595449 times)

mandycorn

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #25065 on: April 26, 2017, 01:13:48 PM »
When I purchase something at the grocery, like it, and try to find it again and it's *nowhere*. I couldn't remember where I initially got it, so I searched all 3 stores I visit regularly. Nope. Look on the website - it says it's not for sale within 100 miles of my location. I bought it here. Less than a month ago. Argh!

The main grocery store in the town where I went to college was considered a trial location for a lot of companies - we'd regularly get really awesome products that would appear and then disappear never to be seen again!

I have two different products I loved and have never seen again. Little microwave cleaning towel packets - you'd put them into the microwave sealed, then turn it on, the heat would cause steam, which would pop the packet and release the steam. After a set amount of cooling time, you could use the warm cloth to wipe off the now dissolved microwave crud. I've been able to do something similar on my own with a wet sponge, but those were so convenient and the cleaning solution really helped with the sticky bits. And peanut butter slices - they were packaged in plastic like American cheese and you could unwrap them and put them on a sandwich really easily. I have no need for them  now, but they'd be perfect for my nephew and were a funny prank gift.

According to this story it's about to be trailed in Dallas-Fort Worth and Oklahoma

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/story?id=87943&page=1

Oh, that's a hilarious coincidence!

I saw them back in 2003ish, so maybe they'll be better received this time :D
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln 

AustenFan

« Reply #25066 on: April 26, 2017, 04:51:18 PM »
Work issue driving me up the wall: people who don't understand that insurance is a legal contract, nothing more. It doesn't have a heart, there is no sentimentality and it's not supposed to be fair. It's supposed to be just.

Even more crazy: the people who are the first to cry that an insurance company should pay for something are also the first to whine when their premiums increase. I need a head exploding emoticon

VorFemme

• It's too darned hot! (song from Kiss Me, Kate)
« Reply #25067 on: April 26, 2017, 05:38:39 PM »
My grandson is a "young giant" on his football team - as in largestk heaviest, and strongest kid on the team - these are four to six year olds.  He is six - but is wearing clothes sized for an eight year old...and strong enough that only the adult coaches are allowed for him to "push" to build strength and skills in blocking.

His aunt thinks that this "isn't fair" and is upset... ::)...never mind that the next heaviest kid is about 75% of his weight and is slightly shorter (DGS is at the 97% for height and weight for his age - last medical appointment was two or three weeks ago).  He is probably still within that %, as he's been in that range since about three months old...

So - yeah - having him "spar" or whatever against smaller kids would not be fair - it would be close to bullying.  Kids are just learning these skills - they have no idea of how easily they could injure someone smaller, not just hurt their feelings.  But she's all upset because he can't "play" with the other, smaller kids.  Remember - all of them are smaller.

The coaches, on the other hand, are very happy to have him on their team...
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 05:45:29 PM by VorFemme »
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #25068 on: April 26, 2017, 06:00:08 PM »
The waiting and waiting has turned to hurrying and now it's finally over. The three day waiting period sent our closing forward three days, but that's okay.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

jpcher

« Reply #25069 on: Yesterday at 05:17:03 PM »
I know I shouldn't giggle at this, with an eye roll and shaking my head. But it does make me laugh and at the same time I cringe. Just gives me a "Why is this happening?" feeling. Can't something be done to correct this?

I know these things are on a timer and they (the inanimate objects) don't know that it's raining, but seeing automatic sprinklers spouting out copious amounts of water in the middle of a rain storm boggles my mind.

Isn't there a turn-off switch that the home/business owner can flip to "off" while it's raining?

Hillia

« Reply #25070 on: Yesterday at 05:30:21 PM »
One of DH's coworkers was arrested for DUI last weekend.  She blew a .24 (so 3x the legal limit) and by her own admission, doesn't remember much about the incident except that she called the cop a horrible name.  Yet she's hired an attorney and is busily dissecting the arrest protocol, from the length of time she was asked to remain at the scene (about 10 minutes) to whether or not the cop could see her driving when she wove past him.  She's 100% convinced that she's the victim here.  Babe, it's only by the grace of Providence that you didn't kill someone.  Take your lesson with humility and knock it off.

Bert

« Reply #25071 on: Yesterday at 06:21:28 PM »
I know I shouldn't giggle at this, with an eye roll and shaking my head. But it does make me laugh and at the same time I cringe. Just gives me a "Why is this happening?" feeling. Can't something be done to correct this?

I know these things are on a timer and they (the inanimate objects) don't know that it's raining, but seeing automatic sprinklers spouting out copious amounts of water in the middle of a rain storm boggles my mind.

Isn't there a turn-off switch that the home/business owner can flip to "off" while it's raining?

Sprinklers can be turned off manually.  Also, there are automatic rain sensors that can be hooked to sprinkler systems that can be installed that would save them the trouble as well.  So yes, there are several ways to correct this.  I hate when this happens as well.

Bert

« Reply #25072 on: Yesterday at 06:27:06 PM »
One of DH's coworkers was arrested for DUI last weekend.  She blew a .24 (so 3x the legal limit) and by her own admission, doesn't remember much about the incident except that she called the cop a horrible name.  Yet she's hired an attorney and is busily dissecting the arrest protocol, from the length of time she was asked to remain at the scene (about 10 minutes) to whether or not the cop could see her driving when she wove past him.  She's 100% convinced that she's the victim here.  Babe, it's only by the grace of Providence that you didn't kill someone.  Take your lesson with humility and knock it off.

I'm always amazed at people who can twist and turn "I don't want to pay the penalties for what I did because they are so severe" into "I must not be guilty of this".  I've seen this happen with a DUI as well, the person wouldn't even accept the standard plea bargain, and went to a jury trial, convinced that there was some error in the police officer's method of taking the field test.  Tons of wasted time and money all resulting in a harsher penalty than he would've received had he just owned his poor behavior from the start.   

CrazyDaffodilLady

« Reply #25073 on: Yesterday at 07:50:15 PM »
I was in the jury pool once for a guy charged with DUI.  He had refused to do a breathalyzer at the scene and (obviously) was fighting the charge.
I didn't get picked and learned later that the guy had a string of previous DUIs and probably would've gone to jail for a while if convicted.  He had good reason to fight, even if the odds were against him.
It takes two people to play tug of war. If you don't want to play, don't pick up the rope.

Hillia

« Reply #25074 on: Yesterday at 09:16:42 PM »
I was in the jury pool once for a guy charged with DUI.  He had refused to do a breathalyzer at the scene and (obviously) was fighting the charge.
I didn't get picked and learned later that the guy had a string of previous DUIs and probably would've gone to jail for a while if convicted.  He had good reason to fight, even if the odds were against him.

Or he could just stop behaving like an irresponsible jerk and stop endangering people because of his selfishness.  I'm glad it ended up costing him more.

MrTango

« Reply #25075 on: Today at 07:38:48 AM »
When someone makes plans and then bails on me.

I had an old friend (was a co-worker and good friend 10+ years ago) contact me a couple weeks ago saying she was going to be in town for a few days and did I want to get together.  We settled on a date (yesterday) to get together for dinner so LadyTango and I could meet Friend's husband and Friend could meet BabyTango.

Around noon yesterday, I sent her a message asking if she still wants to get together.  She responds by saying she does, but that she's not feeling well and can she get back to me in an hour or so?  I said "No Problem, just let me know."

I didn't hear anything more until at about 5:50, I get a message from her "Going to (restaurant) in (city about 40 miles from my house).  Going to drink beer until I am sober enough to drive. Lolz"

Around 7:00, I get another message "Photographing my poor life choices" with a picture of some drink with a bottle of cheap beer upturned in the glass.

So I'm just a little annoyed...

Shalamar

« Reply #25076 on: Today at 10:22:11 AM »
My husband once got a speeding ticket when he was rushing our daughter to the hospital (she was having trouble breathing).  It was one of those camera things, so he didn't find out about the ticket until about a week later.  People told him "You should fight it!"  He said "Why?  I was speeding.    I still broke the law, good excuse or not."