Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5526388 times)

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #29565 on: Today at 06:37:13 AM »
You know how some countries require 2 years of military service? I think ours should require at least 2 years of working retail, especially right before the holidays, so that they can truly appreciate what it's like to work and have people treat them like scum.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

StarDrifter

• I never tell people exactly how smart I am
« Reply #29566 on: Today at 07:16:48 AM »
Oooh that'd be nice, Piratelvr.

2 years frontline retail - not management, not moving into management, not even able to do a return without management approval and with at least one boss who will contradict you when you quote policy at your customer and then do the exact thing you've been telling them you can't do for the last twenty minutes, and blame you if the customer leaves negative feedback.

Like my boss does.

I am so looking forward to going onto maternity leave... and never coming back!
... it might frighten them.
Victoria,

MissRose

« Reply #29567 on: Today at 07:48:09 AM »
You know how some countries require 2 years of military service? I think ours should require at least 2 years of working retail, especially right before the holidays, so that they can truly appreciate what it's like to work and have people treat them like scum.

Lets add to retail, 6 months of fast food, 6 months of a restaurant type like Applebees, and 6 months in a call center.  Then people would learn to treat those in retail, restaurant and call centers with more respect & understand why things are the way they are!

Mediancat

• Shibboleth of Shadowland
« Reply #29568 on: Today at 08:00:25 AM »
And then while we're at it, let's force everyone to do six months as a dentist, as a patent attorney, and as a construction worker.

I realize that's "If I were dictator"-ing, but it would be a lousy idea, because there are people like me who would be horrible at those jobs, know it, and as a consequence went into office work as soon as they could. I also don't give retail/foodservice/call center people a hard time unless they're objectively jerks/ not doing their jobs, either.

Rob
"In all of mankind's history, there has never been more damage done than by someone who 'thought they were doing the right thing'." -- Lucy, Peanuts

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #29569 on: Today at 08:10:06 AM »
Well it's all really a hypothetical thing, just kind of nice to think of forcing people to put the shoe on the other foot.  I mean I've seen people who have waited tables be very understanding when they go out to eat.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #29570 on: Today at 09:10:17 AM »
Believe me, two summers spent working a slicer in a supermarket deli should be enough to convince anyone that workers in retail are worthy of respect. 

Black Delphinium

• The Black Flower
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #29571 on: Today at 09:31:59 AM »
Oooh that'd be nice, Piratelvr.

2 years frontline retail - not management, not moving into management, not even able to do a return without management approval and with at least one boss who will contradict you when you quote policy at your customer and then do the exact thing you've been telling them you can't do for the last twenty minutes, and blame you if the customer leaves negative feedback.

Like my boss does.

I am so looking forward to going onto maternity leave... and never coming back!
You and me sister, I'm counting the days!
When angels go bad, they go worse than anyone. Remember, Lucifer was an angel. ~The Marquis De Carabas

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #29572 on: Today at 11:55:41 AM »
Tell me where it says I can't make soup in the library!. From Customers Suck. No language issues in OP.

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #29573 on: Today at 12:22:29 PM »
Well it's all really a hypothetical thing, just kind of nice to think of forcing people to put the shoe on the other foot.  I mean I've seen people who have waited tables be very understanding when they go out to eat.

I did that for one summer, almost 30 years ago. It still stays with me the bad customers, and I have never treated anyone when I've gone out to eat, like I was treated by some. Maybe I'm just lucky, or maybe its that fact I'm polite and not demanding, but I can count on one hand the times since then I've had poor service.

As for retail, YES. I really can't stand it when customers have absolutely no consideration for us, or the fact they've come in 5 minutes prior to closing, and the store is perfect, and they proceed to rip it apart. I call it the "octopus effect" its like they have 8 arms, each one grabbing something and making a mess.

But even before my almost 9 year stint in retail, I would always hang things back up, fold them (not realizing many store clipboard fold), or generally put them back as best I could. I never threw anything on the floor or anything like that.

Yarnspinner

« Reply #29574 on: Today at 12:41:25 PM »
Tell me where it says I can't make soup in the library!. From Customers Suck. No language issues in OP.

[Runs screaming into the afternoon rain.....] 

We allow people to bring in bottled drinks or water bottles that are capped. No food.  And still we find chicken bones neatly tucked under chairs.....sunflower seeds everywhere....and then there was the woman who pulled out a massive sandwich during a time we were dealing with vermin (the four and eight legged variety).  I had been helping her get information and she had been an absolute sweetie pie.

Then I had to explain that we had vermin issues and were having regular visits from the exterminator and she said "So you're saying I should be extra careful about my food."  "No, ma'am, I'm saying you need to put away your sandwich because the bugs are likely to pop out from books and the mice really don't care who knows they want your food."

"Well that's unacceptable.  I will eat when I want to."

My boss finally had to tell her to put the food away and leave.  It was charming.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #29575 on: Today at 01:19:37 PM »

[Runs screaming into the afternoon rain.....] 

We allow people to bring in bottled drinks or water bottles that are capped. No food.  And still we find chicken bones neatly tucked under chairs.....sunflower seeds everywhere....and then there was the woman who pulled out a massive sandwich during a time we were dealing with vermin (the four and eight legged variety).  I had been helping her get information and she had been an absolute sweetie pie.

Then I had to explain that we had vermin issues and were having regular visits from the exterminator and she said "So you're saying I should be extra careful about my food."  "No, ma'am, I'm saying you need to put away your sandwich because the bugs are likely to pop out from books and the mice really don't care who knows they want your food."

"Well that's unacceptable.  I will eat when I want to."

My boss finally had to tell her to put the food away and leave.  It was charming.

We used to have people hide in the magazine/newspaper room to eat.  Once we found an empty can of sardines and an empty bottle of Mike's Hard Lemonade.  Sardines?  Really?  (I didn't realize that people actually ate those, anyway.)  And alcohol?

AfleetAlex

• Proud cat mom and Auntie
« Reply #29576 on: Today at 02:46:36 PM »
I really wish we could just say to people, when they say something isn't 'posted', "Use your brain." Flat out, just like that. Not that it would make a difference...

And great poem, cabbageweevil!!  :D
I have a chronic case of foot-in-mouth disease.

MrTango

« Reply #29577 on: Today at 03:01:12 PM »
I really wish we could just say to people, when they say something isn't 'posted', "Use your brain." Flat out, just like that. Not that it would make a difference...

I once asked someone "Do you need a sign to remind you to breathe?"

I can't remember the exact circumstances, but it was one of those times where I was wondering how this person had survived to adulthood.

Psychopoesie

« Reply #29578 on: Today at 08:04:46 PM »

We used to have people hide in the magazine/newspaper room to eat.  Once we found an empty can of sardines and an empty bottle of Mike's Hard Lemonade.  Sardines?  Really?  (I didn't realize that people actually ate those, anyway.)  And alcohol?

Yes. Really. People actually eat sardines.  :)

Not in the library though. Usually have it at home - toastie with sardines, tomato and cheese is a great light meal. Not something I'd usually pair with alcohol but to each their own.

Mmm. Now have a craving for just that.

wonderfullyanonymous

« Reply #29579 on: Today at 10:18:52 PM »

I once asked someone "Do you need a sign to remind you to breathe?"

I can't remember the exact circumstances, but it was one of those times where I was wondering how this person had survived to adulthood.

I have been know to say to other coworkers, "It amazes me that some of these people can remember how to breathe."