News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• August 20, 2017, 07:06:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Smartphone upgrade advice?  (Read 1068 times)

Mommyoops

Re: Smartphone upgrade advice?
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2017, 02:24:02 PM »
I have an otterbox case and a tempered glass screen protector. I am super careful with my phones as evidenced by all my phones condition when I trade up to a new phone. The s8 is just notoriously fragile.

RubyCat

« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2017, 02:44:16 PM »
I keep mine until they die, or usually, they're so old they are no longer supported. I have an iphone 5, as does my mom, 2 years old this month, and both working just fine. My mom and I are not at all hard on our phones, so we will probably be forced to upgrade when they stop supporting this model vs. it just getting old and cantankerous.

I had an iPhone 3GS for - 4 years, I think? Until Apple stopped supporting it. Then I went to the 6, which was newish then, and I've had it for two and a half years. I thought it had died last week - it went off and wouldn't come back on. The AT&T guy did the same thing I had done, except it worked for him. He said it was a glitch and the phone did what it was supposed to do.  ::)

I'm still thinking of updating, though, mostly for more memory - mine keeps yelling at me that I'm running out of memory, because I like podcasts and pictures.

My opinion only. Don't get the 7 wait until the 8.  I have a 7 and I'm not happy with it.  It was a forced upgrade due to my 6 battery crapping out and apple refusing to replace it.  I'm on my 2nd 7 now and with both of them the call quality has been horrible.

Ewww. Thank you for the warning. I've been looking at all the shiny, happy, sparkling unicorns PR about the 7, and it sounds delicious. But poor call quality... I'll just wait!

That's really interesting.  Both dh and I have gotten iphone 7's in the last few months and have noticed a decline in the quality of the calls.  He was actually threatening to call Verizon, thinking that there must be a problem with the local cell tower.  My iPhone 4s, which I had for almost 6 years, had great reception.  It never occurred to me that our recent issues might actually be the phones.   :-\

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2017, 05:18:40 PM »
I have an otterbox case and a tempered glass screen protector. I am super careful with my phones as evidenced by all my phones condition when I trade up to a new phone. The s8 is just notoriously fragile.

Mine's not. I have a simple Poetic case and I keep dropping the thing and no damage so far at all.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

VorFemme

• It's too darned hot! (song from Kiss Me, Kate)
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2017, 05:22:27 PM »
My Samsung Galaxy S7 was put into a case & protector fifteen minutes down the road from the phone company's store - I lucked out, the suede lined pocket in my Coach tote bag was the perfect size for it, so even the case & protector look very nearly new...not quite 14 months later.

DD leaves hers in the Otterbox - they have two kids under age 6 and their phones are exposed to a lot more rough handling than Grandma's.  Their uncle is 23 and has his own cell phone - they "borrow" their parents' phones when out & about to watch movies or play games...and they are more likely to drop them.  Which is why those phones (same make & model - different color) are in the more expensive & more protective cases.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 05:24:39 PM by VorFemme »
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

PastryGoddess

« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2017, 08:18:46 PM »
I keep mine until they die, or usually, they're so old they are no longer supported. I have an iphone 5, as does my mom, 2 years old this month, and both working just fine. My mom and I are not at all hard on our phones, so we will probably be forced to upgrade when they stop supporting this model vs. it just getting old and cantankerous.

I had an iPhone 3GS for - 4 years, I think? Until Apple stopped supporting it. Then I went to the 6, which was newish then, and I've had it for two and a half years. I thought it had died last week - it went off and wouldn't come back on. The AT&T guy did the same thing I had done, except it worked for him. He said it was a glitch and the phone did what it was supposed to do.  ::)

I'm still thinking of updating, though, mostly for more memory - mine keeps yelling at me that I'm running out of memory, because I like podcasts and pictures.

My opinion only. Don't get the 7 wait until the 8.  I have a 7 and I'm not happy with it.  It was a forced upgrade due to my 6 battery crapping out and apple refusing to replace it.  I'm on my 2nd 7 now and with both of them the call quality has been horrible.

Ewww. Thank you for the warning. I've been looking at all the shiny, happy, sparkling unicorns PR about the 7, and it sounds delicious. But poor call quality... I'll just wait!

That's really interesting.  Both dh and I have gotten iphone 7's in the last few months and have noticed a decline in the quality of the calls.  He was actually threatening to call Verizon, thinking that there must be a problem with the local cell tower.  My iPhone 4s, which I had for almost 6 years, had great reception.  It never occurred to me that our recent issues might actually be the phones.   :-\

Yes I have AT&T and I thought it was my case or something.  It's not.  There is something in the design of the phone that causes poor call quality. I feel like this happened with a previous version though?  Wasn't there an issue with the way the antenna wrapped around the perimeter of the phone inside the case? I either have to talk on speaker or through my bluetooth earphones. 

Oh right! Don't forget that when you leave the 6 behind, you have to upgrade to a bluetooth headset/earphones.  They do make the dongles to attach wired headphones through the charging port, but I've really learned to appreciate having the wireless earbuds.  I got a pair of Beats on sale and the call quality is wonderful. 

crazycatlady331

« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2017, 08:11:41 PM »
I'm holding onto my S4.   If I can make it until the S9 I will be happy. 

I'm on a joint plan with my mom and somehow I'm making payments on her phone (long story).  I want that paid off before I commit to another phone.

A word to the wise about cases--- buy them online instead of at the stores.  Much better deal on Amazon.  I only buy 'bumper cases' that protect your phone if you drop it (like me).