News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• December 18, 2017, 07:30:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Your Go-To Signature Dish  (Read 1998 times)

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
Re: Your Go-To Signature Dish
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2017, 08:00:14 AM »
If I bring an appetizer, I do spiced mixed nuts-

One big container of mixed nuts (I use the Costco ones). I use the salted ones, it eliminates adding salt into the recipe and trying to blend it in, and it's just the right degree of saltiness.

Two egg whites, slightly beaten, just enough to loosen them up.

3/4 cup of sugar, mixed with a tablespoon of cinnamon. The original recipe (Fannie Farmer Cookbook) uses granulated sugar, I use kibitou, a powdery light brown sugar we have here that is more flavorful but less sweet than white sugar. I don't know if you'd have something similar...if not, the regular sugar is perfectly fine.

Stir the nuts into the egg white, drain a bit. You want the nuts coated enough that the sugar/cinnamon mix will stick, but you don't want egg white pooled on the baking sheet. Coat the nuts in the sugar and cinnamon and bake for one hour at 225F (110C), stirring every 15 minutes. Stir, but also turn them over. If they're not quite dried enough, another 10 minutes will do it.

These just vanish! Everybody loves them. The recipe done with just pecans is heavenly...

Other things I bring are my mother's cheesecake, eggplant parmesan, and 1960's chicken divan (with the Campbell's soup), which is another thing that disappears in the wink of an eye, which surprised me. I made it in a fit of nostalgia and didn't expect it to be that well-received. If you would like any of these recipes I'd be glad to put them up.

Yum! Definitely trying this, thank you.  :)

You're welcome!

I will be trying this too, with apple pie spice instead of straight cinnamon. I want to eat them right now!
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

GreenHall

« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2017, 08:34:30 AM »
I tend to make a broccoli salad, because green things will often be forgotten, and no cooking involved.  We have a vegetarian in the family, so I drop the bacon, but no one has ever complained about the lack.

rose red

« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2017, 01:34:46 PM »

One big container of mixed nuts (I use the Costco ones). I use the salted ones, it eliminates adding salt into the recipe and trying to blend it in, and it's just the right degree of saltiness.

3/4 cup of sugar, mixed with a tablespoon of cinnamon. The original recipe (Fannie Farmer Cookbook) uses granulated sugar, I use kibitou, a powdery light brown sugar we have here that is more flavorful but less sweet than white sugar. I don't know if you'd have something similar...if not, the regular sugar is perfectly fine.

Stir the nuts into the egg white, drain a bit. You want the nuts coated enough that the sugar/cinnamon mix will stick, but you don't want egg white pooled on the baking sheet. Coat the nuts in the sugar and cinnamon and bake for one hour at 225F (110C), stirring every 15 minutes. Stir, but also turn them over. If they're not quite dried enough, another 10 minutes will do it.

These just vanish! Everybody loves them. The recipe done with just pecans is heavenly...

Other things I bring are my mother's cheesecake, eggplant parmesan, and 1960's chicken divan (with the Campbell's soup), which is another thing that disappears in the wink of an eye, which surprised me. I made it in a fit of nostalgia and didn't expect it to be that well-received. If you would like any of these recipes I'd be glad to put them up.

You're welcome!

I will be trying this too, with apple pie spice instead of straight cinnamon. I want to eat them right now!

I'm eyeing this too.

Do you just place the nuts directly on the baking sheet? No spray or wax paper or anything?

bopper

« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2017, 03:20:22 PM »
Not sure how holidayish it is, but a Black Bean salad.  Cans of Black beans, Cans of Corn, Red Onion, Red pepper and vinegar and spices. You could put it together at your destinatin.

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2017, 05:19:29 PM »
Found the wild rice salad recipe:

Wild Rice Salad

2 cups cooked wild rice
2 large apples, diced
2 tbsp lemon juice
Salt, pepper and fresh or frozen dill, to taste

Mix these ingredients the night before serving.

Approximately 8 hours before serving add:
1/3 cup mayonnaise (I use light Miracle Whip)
1/2 cup sour cream (I use light sour cream)

It keeps for several days in the fridge.  I like to garnish it with toasted slivered almonds and some sort of fruit.  This time of year, I'll use cranberries but mandarin orange slices work nicely, too.

Honey crisp apples are really nice in this recipe!
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

VorFemme

• It's too darned hot! (song from Kiss Me, Kate)
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2017, 05:57:26 PM »
Thirty-five years ago, I was known for my BBQ ribs (seriously, a coworker broke a tooth on one in July and ate more of them at the December office party, because they smelled too good to skip - he did NOT break a tooth the second time). 

Slab of ribs or country style ribs (pork), electric skillet on low, broil briefly for browning, and put in electric skillet for the next four hour with a bottle of your favorite BBQ sauce.  Serve after work...some garlic powder & onion powder optional on the raw meat).  Also worked with chicken drumsticks...I never took home any leftovers, even the one time that someone broke a tooth...
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

Hmmmmm

« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2017, 06:03:55 PM »
What category?  Main dish, side, appetizer?

Side-dish, I should have included that in my request  :)

My favorite side dish to make is Calabacitas con crema. This is close to my recipe except I sub roasted poblanos or roasted green chilies for the seranos. And I add some monterey jack cheese at the end.

http://www.lacocinadeleslie.com/2015/11/calabacitas-con-crema-mexican-zucchini.html

crella

« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2017, 07:52:18 PM »

You're welcome!

I'm eyeing this too.

Do you just place the nuts directly on the baking sheet? No spray or wax paper or anything?

Ah! I should have mentioned that, I'm sorry. The recipe says to just put them on the baking sheet, and I've done that, but clean up is a bit easier with wax paper on the baking sheet...but when you stir, you may have to pull on the wax paper to straighten it out.