News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• March 27, 2017, 03:45:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Help me shop for kitchen gadgets, aka what can't I live without?  (Read 5722 times)

FauxFoodist

Re: Help me shop for kitchen gadgets, aka what can't I live without?
« Reply #105 on: February 10, 2017, 11:02:50 AM »
I like the idea of this (since it would make chopping/dicing go so much faster), but I'm wondering how the blades get sharpened once they've dulled.

I suspect the blades stay sharp much longer, as they are not being blunted by the chopping board (and food is much softer than wood [mostly*])?  But would love to hear the experience of owners as to how long they remain sharp...

* I've had to take the mallet to the back of the knife when dealing with a really big turnip/pumpkin, on occasion. :-[

I have a big heavy cleaver for stuff like that.  When I use it, I have to be careful to not cut off a finger or two.

I've always wanted a good Chinese cleaver and cutting board (one of those thick round tree stump types).  I have no need for a cleaver (I'd be afraid of it slipping while trying to chop something) -- still want one though.

I decided I'm going to get a Whirley-Pop after all but need to wait for Bed Bath & Beyond to send out another in-store coupon.  They're the cheapest at $19.99 (Amazon is charging $28+).  If I wait for the coupon, it'll be another 20% off.

Finally got something I've wanted for years and was even on my wedding registry (but no one got us one) -- a toaster oven.  Sometimes, you just want to use the oven for something small, like a couple of slices of pizza or a single serving of something and heating up the regular oven feels like such a waste of energy.  I'm glad it took years for me to get around to buying one because, since then, Breville came out with a smaller version that's $100 cheaper (so I just got the smaller one).  Now I can do 1-2 slices of pizza or a corn dog or something else in small quantities.

If you sign up for BBB text messages, you'll get one every week

Thanks!  ;D

I've always wanted a good Chinese cleaver and cutting board (one of those thick round tree stump types).  I have no need for a cleaver (I'd be afraid of it slipping while trying to chop something) -- still want one though.

Finally got something I've wanted for years and was even on my wedding registry (but no one got us one) -- a toaster oven.  Sometimes, you just want to use the oven for something small, like a couple of slices of pizza or a single serving of something and heating up the regular oven feels like such a waste of energy.  I'm glad it took years for me to get around to buying one because, since then, Breville came out with a smaller version that's $100 cheaper (so I just got the smaller one).  Now I can do 1-2 slices of pizza or a corn dog or something else in small quantities.

if you have an Asian market near you, check there. The one by me not only sells every kind of food etc. imaginable, from every country you can think of, but has a huge section of dishes, cookware, and other stuff, including cleavers.

Thanks!  I have an abundance of Asian markets near me (Chinese, Japanese, Vietnamese, Hmong, Filipino) -- two major ones, alone, within two miles of my house -- so I'm sure those two (being Chinese grocery markets) would likely have the Chinese cleavers I seek.  I feel like checking Chinatown in SF though (of course, I really like shopping, so any excuse to go somewhere different).

siamesecat2965

« Reply #106 on: February 10, 2017, 11:28:57 AM »

Thanks!  I have an abundance of Asian markets near me (Chinese, Japanese, Vietnamese, Hmong, Filipino) -- two major ones, alone, within two miles of my house -- so I'm sure those two (being Chinese grocery markets) would likely have the Chinese cleavers I seek.  I feel like checking Chinatown in SF though (of course, I really like shopping, so any excuse to go somewhere different).

Oh i'm sure you can find on there!!! I'm not surprised you have all that variety, since you mentioned SF, i'm guessing you live in the bay area.

Ehelldame

• Administrator
  • I'm evil personified to the terminally crass.
    • Etiquette Hell
« Reply #107 on: February 10, 2017, 02:08:49 PM »
I like the idea of this (since it would make chopping/dicing go so much faster), but I'm wondering how the blades get sharpened once they've dulled.

I suspect the blades stay sharp much longer, as they are not being blunted by the chopping board (and food is much softer than wood [mostly*])?  But would love to hear the experience of owners as to how long they remain sharp...

* I've had to take the mallet to the back of the knife when dealing with a really big turnip/pumpkin, on occasion. :-[

Mine's going on 3.5 years and doing well. 

FauxFoodist

« Reply #108 on: March 19, 2017, 01:11:18 AM »
Electric kettle, https://www.amazon.com/Epica-6-Temperature-Variable-Stainless-Cordless/dp/B01G7OL9ZW

I never would've thought one of these necessary before and had never actually heard of them before until I read about them online.  However, DH and I stayed somewhere recently that had an electric kettle, and I thought it was so convenient that I looked into getting us one once we got home.  Cook's Illustrated recommended one that heats to multiple temps, but I wasn't willing to spend $100+ for something we really didn't need.  I found the one I linked to by searching on Amazon; the cordless part I didn't remember when I ordered it so that was just a bonus.  It has been so wonderful and convenient having it as DH has been drinking a lot of tea lately so it's nice for him to be able to make himself tea without having to heat up water on the stove each time and to the proper temp for the type of tea he's making (the kettle will hold the water at the chosen temp for up to two hours).