News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• March 06, 2015, 11:32:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Phrases/sayings you hate  (Read 92504 times)

jmarvellous

Re: Phrases/sayings you hate
« Reply #1650 on: March 03, 2015, 08:56:25 PM »
"Gift" as a verb has been mentioned here before, but I feel like I've seen it a lot recently. "Give" is perfectly suited to these situations and is actually a verb.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #1651 on: March 04, 2015, 09:43:27 AM »
"I know that" when it is a subject never before breached between you and the other person. Particularly if it is something you just decided to do, and have never mentioned to this person. Sheesh.

Itza

« Reply #1652 on: March 04, 2015, 03:42:29 PM »
The one that grates on me is from where I used to live.

If, like me, you live in trousers and rarely wear skirts/dresses, or maybe someone who randomly wears shorts instead of long trousers, it somehow invites people to comment.

That comment is, "Oooh, you've got legs!"

>:( >:( >:(

I'm always tempted to snap back, "Of course I've got flipping legs! How do you think I've been walking all these years?"

We moved here a couple of years ago and when summer arrived (it's much warmer here) we dressed our son in shorts for school and he wore shorts at home. One of his carers said, "Ooh, he's got..." and I cringed expecting the usual ending of, "...legs!" But no, instead her sentence was, "Ooh, he's got his legs out!"

Ah, that's much better! That phrase makes more sense!

I

www.opendiary.com/hear_me
Disclaimer: Not for the faint hearted

Mergatroyd

« Reply #1653 on: March 04, 2015, 04:02:33 PM »
The one that grates on me is from where I used to live.

If, like me, you live in trousers and rarely wear skirts/dresses, or maybe someone who randomly wears shorts instead of long trousers, it somehow invites people to comment.

>:( >:( >:(

I'm always tempted to snap back, "Of course I've got flipping legs! How do you think I've been walking all these years?"

We moved here a couple of years ago and when summer arrived (it's much warmer here) we dressed our son in shorts for school and he wore shorts at home. One of his carers said, "Ooh, he's got..." and I cringed expecting the usual ending of, "...legs!" But no, instead her sentence was, "Ooh, he's got his legs out!"

Ah, that's much better! That phrase makes more sense!

I

I've never heard either of those. "Aren't you cold?" Seems to be the equivalent phrase here.

scotcat60

« Reply #1654 on: Yesterday at 07:44:42 AM »

Sounds like the story of the teaching nun whose order dressed its sisters in full gear, long habit coat, scapular , veil and wimple etc, until Vatican 2, when they reformed their clothing to short(ish) dresses and veils.  The pupils in her class stared dumbfounded at her legs, on show for the first time in years, and she asked "What did you expect? Wheels?"

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1655 on: Yesterday at 08:01:04 AM »
"I know that" when it is a subject never before breached between you and the other person. Particularly if it is something you just decided to do, and have never mentioned to this person. Sheesh.

What is the alternative? How else do you tell someone without running around Robin's barn?

A smile and that I knew that, thanks is all I can think of.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #1656 on: Yesterday at 08:06:04 AM »
When I make a decision regarding me, no one else and I mention it, there is no way she knew it before!

cabbageweevil

« Reply #1657 on: Yesterday at 08:10:28 AM »
"Gift" as a verb has been mentioned here before, but I feel like I've seen it a lot recently. "Give" is perfectly suited to these situations and is actually a verb.

Like the man said, "verbing nouns weirds language". 

I'm not hyper-annoyed by "to gift" as a verb, but it does strike me as -- well -- as you observe, unnecessary.

On the "blog" section of eHell not hugely long ago, an "offshoot" of the above showed up, which made me smile. (If the poster concerned, sees this: my comment is intended in all affection, with no snideness meant.) Poster mentioned that they "sometimes cooked with gifted wine".  It was so tempting to respond, asking whether the ordinary untalented wine ever got jealous about not being used for cooking...

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1658 on: Yesterday at 11:20:33 AM »
Haters.  I really really despise that term and the indiscriminate way it is used for every single person who just happens to disagree with a given point of view.

ITA!

baglady

• A big lass and a bonny lass and she loves her beer
« Reply #1659 on: Yesterday at 07:59:54 PM »

Sounds like the story of the teaching nun whose order dressed its sisters in full gear, long habit coat, scapular , veil and wimple etc, until Vatican 2, when they reformed their clothing to short(ish) dresses and veils.  The pupils in her class stared dumbfounded at her legs, on show for the first time in years, and she asked "What did you expect? Wheels?"

People still say that? I remember in the '70s "She's got legs" was the L'Eggs pantyhose jingle, and women/girls who were frequent pants-wearers got it sung to them if they showed up in a dress. In the '80s, they were more likely to hear the ZZ Top version.
My photography is on Redbubble! Come see: http://www.redbubble.com/people/baglady

Emmy

« Reply #1660 on: Yesterday at 10:41:29 PM »
I find it annoying when e-bay sends a message "GOT AWAY" when I do not win an auction.  It didn't 'get away', I just chose not to pay more than $X dollars for it and somebody else did.

Mustard

« Reply #1661 on: Today at 06:32:33 AM »
Aargh!  'Winning' an auction.  No, you didn't win anything, you paid more money that anyone else was prepared to spend..