News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• July 01, 2015, 11:10:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: CPAP help! UD pg.4  (Read 2241 times)

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
Re: CPAP help!
« Reply #45 on: June 29, 2015, 08:20:52 PM »
And being able to go completely under the blankets is useful in a hotel room when another person wants to watch TV or work with a light on, but you're sleepy.

Problem I have with hotel rooms: Finding an outlet that's near the bed, not hidden behind something (such as the bed itself), and doesn't already have a bunch of stuff already plugged into it.
My CPAP travels in a backpack.  One of the pockets holds a 12-foot extension cord, which can reach almost anything and gives me a couple of extra outlets. DH also carries a multi-tap.  I've noticed that the newer hotels have easily available outlets, rather than hiding them behind the bed or the nightstand as the older places do.   If I have to unplug something, my preference is the clock. 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Common sense is not a gift, but a curse.  Because then
you have to deal with all the people who don't have it.

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #46 on: June 29, 2015, 10:04:12 PM »
And being able to go completely under the blankets is useful in a hotel room when another person wants to watch TV or work with a light on, but you're sleepy.

Problem I have with hotel rooms: Finding an outlet that's near the bed, not hidden behind something (such as the bed itself), and doesn't already have a bunch of stuff already plugged into it.
My DH has an extension cord packed with the CPAP case...or hotels have one you can borrow.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #47 on: Yesterday at 08:02:28 AM »
Please don't put your CPAP machine on the floor at a hotel or travel lodging. My FIL did that in March and the housekeeping staff use Febreze on the floor. It somehow got into his water tank and FIL developed severe bronchitis and walking pneumonia from breathing it in.

If you can use an egg crate or something similar to elevate the machine, it is less likely to absorb odors or chemicals from the carpet or flooring.

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #48 on: Yesterday at 09:45:55 AM »

I don't travel much, but when I do, I've learned to always bring a power strip with me.   It helps a lot.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • I am not sweating, I'm glowing!
« Reply #49 on: Yesterday at 10:18:51 AM »
I've just added a small flat to the wall surge protector with two outlets and two USB charging ports to the travel kit (we leave on vacation in 11 days).  It was on clearance at WalMart.  The package also includes a car adapter for a USB cable.

I also have a similar but wider flat to the wall electrical device with two USB ports, but it is not a surge protector, so we won't be using it for a computer.  It can still be used to set up a second "charging station" for cell phone or tablet, though. 

We're taking a trip in November to meet up with family members at our time share - there will be at least four and possibly five or more cell phones (two of them smart phones) and an unknown number of other deviced (tablet, Kindle, Nook, etc.) since I know that at least two people will be getting new phones by then (possibly more - depending on if a couple of older phones still work).  Or recharging external power banks - smart phones can chew through a "full charge" in an amazingly short time - having a "spare charge" stored in a pocket or purse comes in handy (and I don't even have a smart phone)!

A similar adapter would let you plug in a CPAP and a cell phone or digital reader/tablet at the same time. 
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 10:22:39 AM by VorFemme »
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

TriCrazy73

Re: CPAP help! UD pg.4
« Reply #50 on: Yesterday at 02:08:13 PM »
Okay, so my RT want to see me with my machine.  She thinks that I may need to try a different style of mask.  I was originally resistant to getting one that covers my mouth too, but I am seeing now that it might be more helpful to me.  I go tomorrow...hopefully it will help.  The last few nights have been really bad for me.
Once again, thanks for all the input!

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #51 on: Yesterday at 02:42:21 PM »
Please don't put your CPAP machine on the floor at a hotel or travel lodging. My FIL did that in March and the housekeeping staff use Febreze on the floor. It somehow got into his water tank and FIL developed severe bronchitis and walking pneumonia from breathing it in.

If you can use an egg crate or something similar to elevate the machine, it is less likely to absorb odors or chemicals from the carpet or flooring.
I've used the drawer of the bedside nightstand, chairs, my suitcase, or an overturned wastebasket.  One time of putting it on the floor at a relative's home, only to have it suck in stale cigarette odor from the carpet, was enough. 
Common sense is not a gift, but a curse.  Because then
you have to deal with all the people who don't have it.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • I am not sweating, I'm glowing!
Re: CPAP help! UD pg.4
« Reply #52 on: Yesterday at 04:27:20 PM »

I've used the drawer of the bedside nightstand, chairs, my suitcase, or an overturned wastebasket.  One time of putting it on the floor at a relative's home, only to have it suck in stale cigarette odor from the carpet, was enough. 

Urk...

Yeah - that would put me off ever leaving a CPAP water tank on the floor again!
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?