Author Topic: s/o adults should know this - retrospectively obvious things you've just learned  (Read 113071 times)

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
Toothpaste made for kids also comes in fruity flavors, too, which always strikes me as weird. It's totally a learned thing, but I can't imagine feeling as though my teeth are clean if my mouth does not also taste minty!

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
Isn't there also cinnamon toothpaste? I seem to remember using that at one point. Never again...I like my mouth not feeling like it's burning. :P
~I'm just standing with you, in the darkness between battles~

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
Bittybartfast LOVES stealing her older sister's toothpaste and sucking on it  >:(  (Also painting the walls, but I digress.)  We have to keep the bathroom doors closed for this very reason.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
Toothpaste made for kids also comes in fruity flavors, too, which always strikes me as weird. It's totally a learned thing, but I can't imagine feeling as though my teeth are clean if my mouth does not also taste minty!

Having had kids--they were initially really turned off by the minty adult toothpaste. Somewhere about 8 or 10, the turned on the fruity stuff and preferred the minty.

KimberlyM

Isn't there also cinnamon toothpaste? I seem to remember using that at one point. Never again...I like my mouth not feeling like it's burning. :P

DH and I use different toothpastes, partly because he squeezes from the middle of the tube and it drives me nuts, but mostly because he loves the cinnamon toothpaste and it makes me feel like I'm brushing my teeth with Hot Tamales...they just don't feel clean!

KenveeB

• Super Hero!

I used to use a vanilla toothpaste that I really liked, but it was definitely different not having that "minty fresh feeling!" :)

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
I think that some adult toothpastes may have other things that aren't really good for kids, like if the toothpaste is whitening, or something.  There do seem to be toddler toothpastes (meant for under-2s who swallow), kid toothpastes that are sweet flavors like bubblegum, and then kid toothpastes that are less sweet and more minty, but possibly milder than adult toothpastes?  It's interesting how many varieties there are.  When I was a kid, I remember having a sweet toothpaste and thinking it was so delightful, I'd try eating a bit.  Well, it might seem sweet and delicious when you use it to brush your teeth, but it's icky when you actually eat it.  I never tried that one again!  And yes, I guess like others I naturally wanted the fresh minty flavor after a while and changed to preferring that.

Vall

DH and I use different toothpastes, partly because he squeezes from the middle of the tube and it drives me nuts, but mostly because he loves the cinnamon toothpaste and it makes me feel like I'm brushing my teeth with Hot Tamales...they just don't feel clean!
DH is a squeeze-from-the-end person and I'm a middle-squeezer.  I knew it irritated him and I tried different ways to change.  I finally got into the habit of after putting the cap back on tightly, I'd slam my fist down on the end of the tube.  It always made me smile and DH was happy that the end was flat.  I still do that ;D

I don't care for either mint or cinnamon or any other flavored toothpaste so brushing my teeth is not enjoyable anyway.  I really enjoy hitting the toothpaste every day.  I know this makes me sound like a high-strung or violent person but I'm really very laid back and mild mannered.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
I know this makes me sound like a high-strung or violent person but I'm really very laid back and mild mannered.

"I just happen to like bruised toothpaste!"

Tea Drinker

• Now part of Team Land Crab
I alternate between a mango-menthol toothpaste (when I can get it) and a cinnamon-and-clove one. I don't like mint much, and certainly not as a dominant flavor. Both the toothpastes I'm using these days are from Tom's of Maine, who used to make a cinnamon-and-mint, which had enough cinnamon that I could tolerate the mint.
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.