News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• May 05, 2016, 09:32:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Old letters and cards...how long to keep?  (Read 205 times)

otterwoman

Old letters and cards...how long to keep?
« on: Yesterday at 08:25:15 PM »
It's Spring cleaning time. I'm moving an old small dresser from one room to another, so I figured I'd go through the drawers and clear things out. One drawer is full of old letters and cards from old friends and family. I have to decide whether to keep or toss, but I was wondering:

How long do you keep your old letters and cards?
Are they stuffed in a random drawer or do you have a special place?
Do you ever do back and read them again?

greencat

• Trap...Neuter...What was that third thing again?
Re: Old letters and cards...how long to keep?
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 09:31:37 PM »
I'd probably go through them and see if any of them have special sentimental -or even historical - value.  If you aren't going to reread them, and there's no value to them, not a lot of point in storing them.

Minmom3

• Not super patient these days.
« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 09:46:42 PM »
I have some letters from 100 years ago, from my GGfather, chastising  a SIL (I think - Nana's sister?) for taking offense at something he said.  Another one from him to somebody else asking how he could have know his DD (my Gram) was going to take offense at something he said?!  At least one from the 50's telling my mother she ought to be a little bit more expeditious in her thank you letters to certain older rels.  I dumped some of the worst ones, although my kids wanted to scan them and post them.  Sigh.  Plus old pictures.  GG'pa was rather fond of his profile, apparently.  I have several!

shows to go you that my mothers disposition was something she came by honorably, if dysfunctionally!  Smh....
Double MIL now; not yet a Grandma.  Owner of Lard Butt Noelle, kitteh extraordinaire!  True fact: Eggs can be just as hard to unload as zucchini!

Nikko-chan

« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 10:24:04 PM »
I do that too. I keep them in a dresser drawer, like you do, as i don't have very many.

#borecore

• Formerly marvellous, now a bore
« Reply #4 on: Today at 07:50:55 AM »
I keep Christmas cards out into January and birthday cards out for a week or two. Then I get rid of them. My husband loved the Valentine's card I gave him this year and it's still on his desk, but I doubt he'll keep it forever.

For major milestones, I might keep the 'best' ones (with heartfelt messages or from people I'm closest to). I think we hung onto most of our wedding cards that weren't just signatures. I probably have a couple from my graduations and one or two love notes from my husband that I really like. That's it.

I certainly don't think you're obligated to keep any cards! I wouldn't want to lug around more than a shoebox-full in a lifetime, but that's just me.

siamesecat2965

« Reply #5 on: Today at 08:21:41 AM »
I went through mine several years ago, and weeded out a lot. I kept cards from my brother, grandparents, and the very few letters and cards to me from just my dad, since they're all gone now. I've also kept some letters and cards etc from my mom, when I was in college, as well as some that she gave me that I sent to her and my grandmother. And some other random letters that meant something to me, that I received over the years. I bought one of those pretty accordian folder things and keep them in there. They really don't take up much space either. But other cards and letters, birthday etc? I usually keep and toss eventually.

I also have a second folder with cards and notes I received from friends, coworkers etc. when my Dad passed away. I don't know that I will ever read them again, as i can still recall, sitting on my bed, reading them all, and bawling my eyes out (I had been gone for 2 weeks so there were quite a few waiting for me) but i can't bring myself to let them go.