News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• August 27, 2016, 12:27:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Pasta Bowls - Do you use them?  (Read 2220 times)

HannahGrace

Re: Pasta Bowls - Do you use them?
« Reply #45 on: June 05, 2016, 04:54:10 PM »
As of yesterday, I would have responded that I have a pasta bowl set (four bowls and large serving bowl) that I got for a housewarming gift when I bought my first condo.  Unfortunately, my cat decided this morning that the pasta bowls were interrupting his chi, and he smashed three of the four bowls.  Glad to know they are available from many sources!

shhh its me

Re: Pasta Bowls - Do you use them?
« Reply #46 on: June 05, 2016, 05:46:18 PM »
We were given a set of pasta bowls with a matching giant serving bowl as a wedding present. We've only used it a few times, as it's not kept in the same place as my normal bowls, so it'd be a hassle to get it out just for one particular meal. Using these bowls never made an iota of difference to the method we used for eating the food.

The letter writer seems a bit full of themselves. This particular part really rubbed me the wrong way: I want to invite them to dinner, serve a "primo" of spaghetti in my Italian pasta bowls, and hope that someone will say, "These are the perfect bowls for spaghetti!" And then I will, with a big smile, present each couple with a set of bowls, saying that this is a thank-you gift for their thoughtfulness in making me feel at home here.

I doubt I'd take much/any notice of what bowl or plate a meal is served to me in. Exceptions might be for a particularly nice pattern in which case I might say something to the owner, but that's about it. I'd also be extremely uncomfortable and find it extremely weird, for anyone to gift me with some bowls just because I mentioned them during the meal.

Well what will happen is since these people grew up twirling pasta with a spoon ,it wont even occur to them to eat a different way because they are eating out of a bowl. Then letter writers head will explode.   If you've been eating something your whole life , you're not really going to notice a small difference in the way someone else eats it. Lw is not in Rome anymore.

Also I agree it would be award to compliment a bowl and then "Ta da I have a set for each of you." as in on cue.  LW could just give everyone bowls as hostess gifts but waiting and hoping someone compliments them and then gifting feels so scripted , like she's writing a sitcom not having real interactions.