Author Topic: Reading/Book Pet Peeves  (Read 179991 times)

Margo

Re: Reading/Book Pet Peeves
« Reply #1080 on: July 29, 2013, 03:26:19 PM »
You might enjoy Railsea or Kraken, both of which have strong stories as well as weird :-)

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
  • Paws for a smile
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #1081 on: July 29, 2013, 09:19:50 PM »
I am reading the Dresden File books. I am getting very, very tired of reading why the Blue Beetle isn't blue. The curious thing is that small, not necessarily important things (like the Blue Beetle) gets repeated every book but important plot points aren't recapped. If something has to be repeated, why not the important things (I won't mention any because they would be spoilers)?

Mental Magpie

• ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #1082 on: July 29, 2013, 10:38:09 PM »
I am reading the Dresden File books. I am getting very, very tired of reading why the Blue Beetle isn't blue. The curious thing is that small, not necessarily important things (like the Blue Beetle) gets repeated every book but important plot points aren't recapped. If something has to be repeated, why not the important things (I won't mention any because they would be spoilers)?

That and his lair...he describes it every single book in excruciating detail.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #1083 on: July 30, 2013, 12:02:59 AM »
I saw this the other day and thought this thread was a good place to put it.

HOW TO WRITE GOOD

1.  Avoid Alliteration.  Always.
2.  Prepositions are not words to end sentences with.
3.  Avoid cliches like the plague.  They're old hat.
4.  Comparisons are as bad as cliches.
5.  Be more or less specific.
6.  Writers should never generalise.
Seven:  Be consistent!
8.  Don't be redundant; don't use more words than necessary; it's highly superfluous.
9.  Who needs rhetorical questions?
10.  Exaggeration is a billion times worse than understatement.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #1084 on: July 30, 2013, 12:23:44 AM »

That and his lair...he describes it every single book in excruciating detail.

Have you read Ghost Story? DH says its full of self-hating navel gazing.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 12:26:03 AM by Katana_Geldar »

Reika

« Reply #1085 on: July 30, 2013, 05:52:16 AM »

That's an excellent summation. Ghost Story was the only one in that series that I can't bring myself to re-read.  Cold days at least made up for it.

Mental Magpie

« Reply #1086 on: July 30, 2013, 07:25:30 AM »

That's an excellent summation. Ghost Story was the only one in that series that I can't bring myself to re-read.  Cold days at least made up for it.

It was sooooo much different than the others!  I'm glad he didn't keep going that route with Cold Days because for the first time ever, I may have put a series down unfinished.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
  • Paws for a smile
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #1087 on: July 30, 2013, 09:27:08 AM »
I am still quite early in the series (Summer Knight) and I have already noticed that tendency as well as the tendency to take blame for everything that happens to everyone.

Lynn2000

« Reply #1088 on: July 30, 2013, 10:07:56 AM »

HOW TO WRITE GOOD

8.  Don't be redundant; don't use more words than necessary; it's highly superfluous.

LOL! I remember one of my high school English teachers had a poster like this on his wall. I used to read it and think about how much I disagreed with a lot of it. :) Although to be honest I'm never sure how seriously to take them--is it just supposed to be funny overall, or are they humorously illustrating things you seriously shouldn't do? But if everyone followed them when they wrote I think reading and writing would be a lot less colorful and interesting.
~Lynn2000

Mental Magpie

« Reply #1089 on: July 30, 2013, 10:12:44 AM »
I am still quite early in the series (Summer Knight) and I have already noticed that tendency as well as the tendency to take blame for everything that happens to everyone.

He is kind of like that, I agree, but I still think they're really good books.  If you're looking for a similar kind of story without all of the "Oh, no, I had to kill someone and I feel horrible even though I totally had to kill him or risk the world!" look to Kevin Hearne's Iron Druid series.

Kiara

• My dragons!
« Reply #1090 on: July 30, 2013, 10:18:09 AM »

It was sooooo much different than the others!  I'm glad he didn't keep going that route with Cold Days because for the first time ever, I may have put a series down unfinished.

And that's exactly why I quit reading the series.  Butcher admits he likes torturing Harry, and I think his betas encourage it.  Fifteen more books of this?  No thanks.  Just gave mine to Goodwill.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #1091 on: July 30, 2013, 10:30:25 AM »

HOW TO WRITE GOOD

LOL! I remember one of my high school English teachers had a poster like this on his wall. I used to read it and think about how much I disagreed with a lot of it. :) Although to be honest I'm never sure how seriously to take them--is it just supposed to be funny overall, or are they humorously illustrating things you seriously shouldn't do? But if everyone followed them when they wrote I think reading and writing would be a lot less colorful and interesting.

I'm pretty sure that this list is specifically illustrating things that you seriously shouldn't do.

I'm not sure how having more clichés, generalizations, redundancies and bad grammar* would make reading and writing "more colorful and interesting".

*Although I believe that #2 is being less commonly thought of as bad grammar nowadays.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Two Ravens

• One for sorrow, Two for mirth...
« Reply #1092 on: July 30, 2013, 11:07:02 AM »

HOW TO WRITE GOOD

I'm pretty sure that this list is specifically illustrating things that you seriously shouldn't do.

I'm not sure how having more clichés, generalizations, redundancies and bad grammar* would make reading and writing "more colorful and interesting".

*Although I believe that #2 is being less commonly thought of as bad grammar nowadays.

All generalizations are false. There are plenty of wonderful writers that occasionally use alliteration, or comparisons ("The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't.") to make their writing more colorful or humorous. Writers shouldn't overuse them though.

Mental Magpie

« Reply #1093 on: July 30, 2013, 11:10:24 AM »

HOW TO WRITE GOOD

All generalizations are false. There are plenty of wonderful writers that occasionally use alliteration, or comparisons ("The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't.") to make their writing more colorful or humorous. Writers shouldn't overuse them though.

I agree.  I use alliteration probably more often than many, but the entire sentence doesn't consist of it and it isn't so focused on alliteration that it is hard to discern what I mean (like having to translate Shakespeare).  Everything in moderation, including moderation.

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #1094 on: July 30, 2013, 11:10:41 AM »

And that's exactly why I quit reading the series.  Butcher admits he likes torturing Harry, and I think his betas encourage it.  Fifteen more books of this?  No thanks.  Just gave mine to Goodwill.

Gah! Thanks for the warning. I've tried to get into the series twice, but just can't get past Harry's string of bad decisions and bad luck. Knowing this will only get worse is all the 'encouragement' I need to give it up for good.

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice