Author Topic: Reading/Book Pet Peeves  (Read 260075 times)

AnnaJ

Re: Reading/Book Pet Peeves
« Reply #1305 on: September 08, 2013, 07:56:47 PM »
I know this is a thread for pet peeves, but I want to raise a glass to one of my favorite writers who died last month, Elizabeth Peters.  I think of her when I see this thread because I read all of her novels and, despite one of her series going for 19 books, she never hit one of my pet peeves...RIP, Elizabeth.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1306 on: September 08, 2013, 08:46:53 PM »
I know this is a thread for pet peeves, but I want to raise a glass to one of my favorite writers who died last month, Elizabeth Peters.  I think of her when I see this thread because I read all of her novels and, despite one of her series going for 19 books, she never hit one of my pet peeves...RIP, Elizabeth.

Late 1800s, perky young woman solving mysteries? More than once in Egypt's Valley of the Kings? If not, I'm lost here.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1307 on: September 08, 2013, 10:00:52 PM »

Whenever... I... read something... written with... unnecessary... ellipses... between a lot of... the words... I start... to read it... in the voice... of Captain... Kirk.

*snicker*
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

starry diadem

• διάδημα: The Glass Hat
« Reply #1308 on: September 09, 2013, 02:50:09 AM »

I hadn't seen that she had died. Darn. No more Amelia? Double darn.
Mysterious ravens go after local farmer's potatoes

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #1309 on: September 09, 2013, 03:48:31 AM »

I hadn't seen that she had died. Darn. No more Amelia? Double darn.

I preferred her two non-fiction books on Ancient Egypt; she knew how to make it interesting and accessible.

renfield1969

« Reply #1310 on: September 09, 2013, 09:36:00 AM »

Actually, I tried reading one of her Amelia Peabody books and it hit so many of my pet peeves I never felt like reading another one. I can't stand characters that are so perfect they seem like parodies of themselves. This book was deep into the series so it started out with the main character giving a long synopsis of all the previous books and detailing the perfect life that she and her perfect husband share with their perfect children and their perfect spouses and perfect servants. That was bad enough, but not a deal-breaker, except that it was a symptom of a pet peeve I run into a lot in modern mysteries. Namely that the book focuses solely on the characters and there is only a passing nod to an actual mystery. In this instance, after the murder they muse on who could have done it, then leave the country to go help their son the super-spy on his espionage mission, and when they get back the person who committed the murder walks up and admits it. They spend the rest of the book dealing with archaeology. Sorry, when something is billed as a mystery, I expect the plot to revolve around a mystery.

Petticoats

« Reply #1311 on: September 09, 2013, 09:55:41 AM »

She was one of my favorites, in both her Elizabeth Peters and Barbara Michaels personas. Her gothics as Barbara Michaels were a huge influence on my gothic romance. I loved her sense of humor, her audacious heroines, and how she played with the gothic formula to introduce some freshness and surprises... including, in some of them, heroes who were actually likeable (not the gothic norm)!

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1312 on: September 09, 2013, 10:02:30 AM »

Hear, hear. 

I had the privilege of meeting her several times.  We even went out to dinner together.  She was a sweet, smart and funny lady who will be greatly missed. 

Her Egyptology was bang on.  We were all tickled when she used a friend as a major character in one of her novels. 

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #1313 on: September 09, 2013, 10:46:35 AM »

Actually, I tried reading one of her Amelia Peabody books and it hit so many of my pet peeves I never felt like reading another one. I can't stand characters that are so perfect they seem like parodies of themselves. This book was deep into the series so it started out with the main character giving a long synopsis of all the previous books and detailing the perfect life that she and her perfect husband share with their perfect children and their perfect spouses and perfect servants. That was bad enough, but not a deal-breaker, except that it was a symptom of a pet peeve I run into a lot in modern mysteries. Namely that the book focuses solely on the characters and there is only a passing nod to an actual mystery. In this instance, after the murder they muse on who could have done it, then leave the country to go help their son the super-spy on his espionage mission, and when they get back the person who committed the murder walks up and admits it. They spend the rest of the book dealing with archaeology. Sorry, when something is billed as a mystery, I expect the plot to revolve around a mystery.

I loved the early ones, but the later books were definitely guilty of this.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

cwm

« Reply #1314 on: September 09, 2013, 01:54:49 PM »
One of my biggest things is people who don't know how to use elipses. I've actually seen someone string a bunch of commas together to try to indicate a really long pause,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,like this. No. Just...no.

Same here! I hate improper use of ellipses, either in placement (in a sentence where there isn't a natural pause) and/or the "too many dots" variety, as if the more dots, the longer the pause. NO! Ellipses do not........ work when there is....... not a natural pause in the sentence. Read it aloud. Also, ellipses are three period/full stop marks in the middle of a sentence, or four if it is the end of a sentence. If the sentence ending with ellipses is a question...? Three and the proper punctuation mark. Any punctuation other than periods/full stops are not ellipses! You do not indicate a pause with ------ or ********! I won't even read a post or story that messes up something this basic. Huge peeve!

When I see ------- it's usually in novels from the late 1800s, and usually after a first initial. For example:

As I walked down the street I passed Mr. J-------.

This is the only time I've ever seen it as acceptable. But as a side note, why did people used to write like that? Did they expect the readers to substitute some name that they knew into it? Was it common form at the time to actually write like that in correspondence as well? None of my English teachers actually deemed my question worthy of even hearing, let alone recognizing in class, and I've never been able to find an answer anywhere.

Pen^2

« Reply #1315 on: September 09, 2013, 02:57:10 PM »
One of my biggest things is people who don't know how to use elipses. I've actually seen someone string a bunch of commas together to try to indicate a really long pause,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,like this. No. Just...no.

Same here! I hate improper use of ellipses, either in placement (in a sentence where there isn't a natural pause) and/or the "too many dots" variety, as if the more dots, the longer the pause. NO! Ellipses do not........ work when there is....... not a natural pause in the sentence. Read it aloud. Also, ellipses are three period/full stop marks in the middle of a sentence, or four if it is the end of a sentence. If the sentence ending with ellipses is a question...? Three and the proper punctuation mark. Any punctuation other than periods/full stops are not ellipses! You do not indicate a pause with ------ or ********! I won't even read a post or story that messes up something this basic. Huge peeve!

When I see ------- it's usually in novels from the late 1800s, and usually after a first initial. For example:

This is the only time I've ever seen it as acceptable. But as a side note, why did people used to write like that? Did they expect the readers to substitute some name that they knew into it? Was it common form at the time to actually write like that in correspondence as well? None of my English teachers actually deemed my question worthy of even hearing, let alone recognizing in class, and I've never been able to find an answer anywhere.

Names were written like this to keep them private, when they were real people/places or characters/places based on real people/places, and when they weren't hugely important to the plot so not knowing the full name wouldn't matter much. Dumas and Kafka both come to mind.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #1316 on: September 09, 2013, 03:04:47 PM »

Names were written like this to keep them private, when they were real people/places or characters/places based on real people/places, and when they weren't hugely important to the plot so not knowing the full name wouldn't matter much. Dumas and Kafka both come to mind.

Black Beauty did that a lot too.  It was a style from the gossip pages of the newspapers - "Viscount K---- was seen doing something mildly scandalous!  And the Countess of M------ is rumored to have been spending time in the company of the Earl of T--------- in a thoroughly unpardonable setting."  The ton would have known who was being referred to (or would have known who to ask to get the details of the juicy gossip), but the paper wasn't giving away the story to people who shouldn't have known (i.e. everyone who wasn't rich and titled).

Two Ravens

• One for sorrow, Two for mirth...
« Reply #1317 on: September 09, 2013, 03:05:07 PM »

There's an excellent explanation of why Jane Austen used it here: http://austenacious.com/?p=470

AnnaJ

« Reply #1318 on: September 09, 2013, 03:32:44 PM »

Hear, hear. 

I had the privilege of meeting her several times.  We even went out to dinner together.  She was a sweet, smart and funny lady who will be greatly missed. 

Her Egyptology was bang on.  We were all tickled when she used a friend as a major character in one of her novels.

How nice for you - I only got to see her at one book signing and she struck me as someone I'd love to have dinner and/or a drink with, witty and down to earth. 

When I lived in Denver I frequented a mystery bookstore in Boulder; one of the people there (maybe the owner?) said his favorite Elizabeth Peter's story was from an offended customer.  For anyone who hasn't read the Amelia Peabody series, there are no explicit *scrabble* scenes but there are often references to going into the bedroom to persuade her husband of something, or to settle their differences. 

Apparently this incensed the bookstore customer because she complained that those books were only about "sex, sex, sex!"   

cwm

« Reply #1319 on: September 09, 2013, 04:26:00 PM »

There's an excellent explanation of why Jane Austen used it here: http://austenacious.com/?p=470

All of these make a lot of sense. I remember reading it an Jekyll and Hyde, and like I said, my English teacher didn't even bother to acknowledge my question at the time.