Author Topic: Reading/Book Pet Peeves  (Read 218332 times)

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
Re: Reading/Book Pet Peeves
« Reply #1350 on: September 11, 2013, 06:32:11 PM »
Wickham turned white, because the sudden appearance of Darcy frightened him, and Darcy flushed in anger at seeing him. At least, that's how I always read it.

Same for me.
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult); Zuul (F); Magpie (M); Balrog (M); Nazgul (F)

Arila

« Reply #1351 on: September 11, 2013, 06:46:27 PM »
Wickham turned white, because the sudden appearance of Darcy frightened him, and Darcy flushed in anger at seeing him. At least, that's how I always read it.

Same for me.

That makes sense, Thanks!    I think my difficulty has been that I find that I blush in a variety of situations, but usually for me blushing = mortified so it's always been ambiguous "Why is he embarrassed??"  was always my thought, but I guess in reality neither one is embarrassed by the meeting. It's probably the point, because at that spot in the story Elizabeth doesn't know the history and she's supposed to misinterpret it (and so is the reader at first) -- but it still peeves me a bit.

Library Dragon

« Reply #1352 on: September 11, 2013, 06:57:59 PM »
Another recommendation here for Hawthorne's short stories. 

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #1353 on: September 11, 2013, 10:17:51 PM »
That was actually a really fascinating talk I went to recently - the author's premise is that we have the same physical responses to strong emotions - pretty much ANY strong emotions.  Your heart races, your palms get sweaty, you blush, you feel like you can't breathe, etc.  That applies equally well to being afraid, nervous, in love, really angry, frustrated, etc.  So as an author, you can't take a shortcut like "his heart raced" unless it's really obvious what the emotion is supposed to be.  Also, since there are only so many autonomic nervous responses, almost all of them have cliched phrases ("she could feel her cheeks turn red," "her breath tangled in her throat," "his heart felt ready to leap out of his chest," etc.) and a good author will find ways to tweak those cliches so they don't sound cliched anymore.

BarensMom

« Reply #1354 on: September 11, 2013, 11:57:52 PM »

Pod.  Although I wish you all would give "The Scarlet Letter" and "House of the Seven Gables" another chance.  I think "God will give him blood to drink!" is one of the great curses of literature.

poundcake

« Reply #1355 on: September 12, 2013, 06:24:13 AM »

Pod.  Although I wish you all would give "The Scarlet Letter" and "House of the Seven Gables" another chance.  I think "God will give him blood to drink!" is one of the great curses of literature.

ITA. I enjoyed both MUCH more after having experienced "Rappaccini's Daughter"!

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #1356 on: September 12, 2013, 09:06:51 AM »
One of the things that I like about carrying an ereader instead of a book is that I don't get people asking questions that include a spoiler.  Because they can't tell from the book cover or the title on the spine what I am reading, I get to figure out who done it in the murder mystery without comments from the peanut gallery - or whatever would be a spoiler for the genre I'm reading that day.

An example might be "have you gotten to where *something really memorable but unexpected* happens yet?"  Something like - "the guy climbs the brick wall and we find out that he is a vampire, Spiderman, or trained as a mountain climber with the military" and that gives you a HUGE clue as to what might be happening later in the book (or series). 

I decided not to use an actual example from a book as it could be a spoiler to anyone who hasn't gotten to that chapter in a REAL book!
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Cherry91

« Reply #1357 on: September 12, 2013, 09:16:41 AM »
One of the things that I like about carrying an ereader instead of a book is that I don't get people asking questions that include a spoiler.  Because they can't tell from the book cover or the title on the spine what I am reading, I get to figure out who done it in the murder mystery without comments from the peanut gallery - or whatever would be a spoiler for the genre I'm reading that day.

An example might be "have you gotten to where *something really memorable but unexpected* happens yet?"  Something like - "the guy climbs the brick wall and we find out that he is a vampire, Spiderman, or trained as a mountain climber with the military" and that gives you a HUGE clue as to what might be happening later in the book (or series). 

I decided not to use an actual example from a book as it could be a spoiler to anyone who hasn't gotten to that chapter in a REAL book!

I had a third party version of this today. I recommended a series to a friend, and he's really gotten into them, and I REALLY wanted to see his unprepared reaction to one of the biggest twists in the series so far, and someone spoiled it for him!  >:(

Yarnspinner

« Reply #1358 on: September 12, 2013, 11:57:18 AM »

I had a third party version of this today. I recommended a series to a friend, and he's really gotten into them, and I REALLY wanted to see his unprepared reaction to one of the biggest twists in the series so far, and someone spoiled it for him!  >:(

Lord, how I hate that.  Two movies were completely ruined for me in this way. 

A review of The Sixth Sense: SPOILER "without giving away the twist, I can say it does explain why Bruce Willis seems to wear the same clothing through out SPOILER

A friend talking about how someone ruined Death Trap for her: SPOILER "And then he says 'Michael Cain kissed Christopher Reeve and this guy behind me yelled 'Superman Say It Isn't So!"

Thanks for that guys.......

BarensMom

« Reply #1359 on: September 12, 2013, 12:05:09 PM »

Now I have to go look up "Rappaccini's Daughter."  (Goes off to Wikipedia.)  Oh, I remember that story now!  I read it about 30+ years ago in college, so failing memory must be the excuse. :-[
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 12:09:29 PM by BarensMom »

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #1360 on: September 12, 2013, 12:09:07 PM »

Now I have to go look up "Rappaccini's Daughter."

I haven't read the story, but there's a film version of it that I liked: It's part of "Twice Told Tales" with Vincent Price.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • Super Hero!
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
« Reply #1361 on: September 12, 2013, 12:49:44 PM »
I love romance novels, but it can be hard to find ones that are both good and to my taste, if that makes sense. I like historicals, and I am fine with historically accurate depictions of the gender roles, but *not* guys who are just jerks to women in the name of 'historical accuracy'. I would prefer *not* to read about very 'defiant' heroines because those tend to involve breaking her down, which I can find icky--whereas the ones where she starts as more insecure or quieter often are more about building her up.

I started a romance "novel" back in high school, and because I know little about scrabble first hand, it had/has no sex-scenes.

What it does have is a blustering, chauvinist hero and a demure, sweet heroine... who plays her hero like a harp. Both based on my aunt and uncle, who do the exact same thing.

(Think:
Man: "Well women are the weaker, so of course they have to tend the house!"
Woman: "You do know best. So I'll do the dishes, sweep up and change the beds. Oh, but my back is aching... Junior was such a big baby, you know I've never been quite right since..."
Man: "Typical weakness. I'll have to do that sweeping, and the dishes i suppose. can't have you standing around."
Woman: 'Yes. Such a bother about my frailty.")

Weirdly, they are still married and very happy together. And he insists housework is for women and HIS wife keeps the cleanest, best home in town... as he's doing half the chores in the house to protect her delicate, frail back that his big, manly son "ruined"  Funny how when he wants to take her out dancing or hiking her ruined back does just fine.

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1362 on: September 12, 2013, 01:41:29 PM »

A review of The Sixth Sense: SPOILER "without giving away the twist, I can say it does explain why Bruce Willis seems to wear the same clothing through out SPOILER

A friend talking about how someone ruined Death Trap for her: SPOILER "And then he says 'Michael Cain kissed Christopher Reeve and this guy behind me yelled 'Superman Say It Isn't So!"

I accidentally spoiled Sixth Sense for a friend. I saw it pretty late, after people had been talking about it for a while. I remembered Friend talking about having seen it, so after I finally saw it, we were chatting and mentioned I'd finally seen it and man, I saw Plot Twist coming from the end of the first scene! Except, uh, she hadn't seen it.  :-[ I felt awful.

Arila

« Reply #1363 on: September 12, 2013, 03:13:01 PM »

I accidentally spoiled Sixth Sense for a friend. I saw it pretty late, after people had been talking about it for a while. I remembered Friend talking about having seen it, so after I finally saw it, we were chatting and mentioned I'd finally seen it and man, I saw Plot Twist coming from the end of the first scene! Except, uh, she hadn't seen it.  :-[ I felt awful.

We were just talking about, in another thread, the length of time one is expected to guard against spoilers (watch out for spoilers regarding Pride and Prejudice, Star Wars, and other things which have been out for a while!). It seems pretty unfair to NEVER be able to discuss plot twists! Sometimes, you need to get off your duff and keep up with the times, or suffer the consequences.

Also, Slartibartfast, I think you pinned down my example pet peeve better than I did. Great insight.

Two Ravens

• One for sorrow, Two for mirth...
« Reply #1364 on: September 12, 2013, 03:17:38 PM »
We were just talking about, in another thread, the length of time one is expected to guard against spoilers (watch out for spoilers regarding Pride and Prejudice, Star Wars, and other things which have been out for a while!). It seems pretty unfair to NEVER be able to discuss plot twists! Sometimes, you need to get off your duff and keep up with the times, or suffer the consequences.

I remember when the show "Rome" was being discussed over on the TWoP boards. Someone complained about people "spoiling" the fact that Caesar was assassinated.  I think they added a disclaimer, "It's not a spoiler if its been aired on the East Coast...or if it happened over 2000 years ago."