A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Time For a Coffee Break!

Reading/Book Pet Peeves

<< < (290/396) > >>

poundcake:
I'm in the middle of reading several turn-of-the-century (early 1900s) series books, and am noticing an irritating commonality: in early books, heroine will help some poor unfortunate soul in some important way. In later books, while the deed is mentioned, the actual recipient of the deed usually isn't. So you get these forgotten, interchangeable cyphers as secondary characters. And since they are usually poor or of a minority race, it sends a really screwy message to have them so easily sidelined. 

Reika:
I can't remember if I posted this or not, but I remembered another one while reading a book. Where an author gets lazy by cutting and pasting in whole pages of stuff from previous books in the same series, instead of just summing up the situation.

Lynn2000:
I received a book in the mail the other day that had the following blurb on its cover: "Lust, butchery, and witchcraft... richly readable."  :o Okay, I'm not actually sure if that's a peeve or not, because I'll have to see what the content is first, but that's really not what I thought the book was going to be about (tone-wise) from the other descriptions I'd read--it's a historical royal romance set during the Wars of the Roses (The King's Grey Mare by Rosemary Hawley Jarmon).

lady_disdain:
I was thumbing through a book today and came across an engagement ring described as "a sapphire surrounded by diamonds the size of quail eggs." Eeek - what is the size of the thing? I couldn't fit one quail egg on my finger, much less several of them around a sapphire.

cwm:
So I started reading a new book the other night. It looks really interesting, and as much as my mom and grandma have raved about it, I really want to read it.

The problem is the narration style. In the first half page of the book, it goes back and forth four times, and it doesn't get much better from there.

It's The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. Has anyone here read it? Does the style even out a bit further into the book? I'm only a few pages in, and if it doesn't get better, I'm going to have to return it to the family library, I can't handle that.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version