Author Topic: Reading/Book Pet Peeves  (Read 256106 times)

cabbageweevil

Re: Reading/Book Pet Peeves
« Reply #1605 on: January 05, 2014, 06:31:55 AM »
I like the fact that self-publishing has become so easy but I do think that more self-published authors should use editors. I was reading one book that I think was supposed to be a sort of serious military romance but some word choices made it unintentionally comical (or maybe it was meant to be spy parody and I didn't just realise it). There was a gun that was a government loner and the hero who spoke in deep Russian baroque. The heroine also blinked very slowly and sexily, I'm not sure how that works (can you blink slowly?). Though I also couldn't really buy the happy end between an American spy and a Russian one, even if he was going to retire (but continue working for his country), so I guess the other things didn't matter.

An "aside"; but I love the "Russian baroque".  Reminds me of time spent in France long ago, supposedly to improve my French. One of our instructors then, was a rather conceited French lady who thought her mastery of English was greater than it actually was.  I treasure the memory of her talking about cultured English people speaking with the "Oxford droll".

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1606 on: January 05, 2014, 10:02:57 AM »
I was a bit shocked (and very pleased for her) when I learned how much more money a writer I like makes from self-publishing compared with traditional publishing. She's not the average author as well but I think that if you want to be seen as a professional, there are some things that you need, like the editing and good cover design.

I think I read the same article and was stunned how little authors make under traditional publishing, unless you're someone like Stephen King (and I think even he has battled contracts).

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #1607 on: January 05, 2014, 11:27:35 AM »

On topic, I dislike series that descend into total unrelenting MISERY. Of course things need to happen to the protagonist/s in order to further the plot, but can we try and let them have a few good moments on occasion? 
I think Dowton Abbey may have jumped the shark for me, on that one. Two grandchildren, both orphaned neonatally? Can't the writers think of a new plot?

That wasn't the writers fault  - the actor who played Matthew wanted to leave the series. I am not sure about Sybil's actress - if she wanted to leave.

Jocelyn

« Reply #1608 on: January 05, 2014, 11:40:30 AM »
I like the fact that self-publishing has become so easy but I do think that more self-published authors should use editors.

That would be nice, but the average freelance editor costs significantly more than the average self-pubbed book makes  :-\
Then they should cultivate sarcastic friends.  >:D
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 11:42:05 AM by Jocelyn »

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #1609 on: January 05, 2014, 12:05:10 PM »
I was a bit shocked (and very pleased for her) when I learned how much more money a writer I like makes from self-publishing compared with traditional publishing. She's not the average author as well but I think that if you want to be seen as a professional, there are some things that you need, like the editing and good cover design.

I think I read the same article and was stunned how little authors make under traditional publishing, unless you're someone like Stephen King (and I think even he has battled contracts).

There are a handful of authors who make good money from self-publishing, a fair number more who make enough to count it as a respectable side job (even if it's their main time sink), and zillions more who barely sell anything.  Upwards of 80% of self-published books sell less than 100 copies, and many sell less than ten.  (That does include things not intended to actually be marketed, but still.)  The problem is, it's just as much work to self-publish as it is to e-publish or go the traditional route (more, actually, since you have to do all the editing/layout/design yourself), and 99% of ebooks only make a fraction of the money they'd get just as an advance for a paper book.  In very general numbers - and I'll admit my background is romance, so these may skew toward that - a first-time author with a traditional publisher will usually make a $2K-$5K advance for a debut novel, plus royalties if it sells well.  (The advance is money they get to keep even if the book doesn't sell, but the author doesn't get royalties until/unless the book "earns out.")  Almost no e-presses pay advances, but 85% of debut romance authors printed via e-presses make less than $1000 on their books, even after royalties.  Self-publishing varies widely depending on how much of an audience you have already, but a self-published debut author is lucky to make $250.

cabbageweevil

« Reply #1610 on: January 05, 2014, 12:06:42 PM »
I like the fact that self-publishing has become so easy but I do think that more self-published authors should use editors.

That would be nice, but the average freelance editor costs significantly more than the average self-pubbed book makes  :-\
Then they should cultivate sarcastic friends.  >:D

As I've mentioned before -- Mr. Tolkien and Mr Lewis, back in the day -- they hated each other's styles of fiction, while cerebrally recognising that they had some worth.  They agreed to critique each other's drafts, "no quarter asked, or given".  It worked quite well...

Ereine

« Reply #1611 on: January 05, 2014, 12:39:28 PM »
The author I read about was probably quite expectional, she didn't make enough money with traditional publishing and so had to work (maybe) full time and after she started publishing her own work she could make her living from it. It probably helps that she had some kind of reputation from her traditionally published books. Of course it helps that she's a very good writer and good at marketing.

The kind of books I work with never make much money and the writers don't really expect them to, they're just happy that they get their poems published and we're satisfied if we cover all our expenses. Traditionally publishers would rely on best-sellers to finance books that sold less (like poetry), these days that doesn't happen and of course it's a problem for self-publishers.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #1612 on: January 05, 2014, 05:44:24 PM »
From what I understand,the Eragon series started out self-published, and the author could really have used an editor...or an English teacher with a red pen. That series frustrates me as I could see he had potential as a writer, he just needed to fall out of love with his own work and stick it in a drawer for a few years.

Petticoats

« Reply #1613 on: January 06, 2014, 11:33:17 AM »
Even traditionally published fiction now is getting short shrift editorially as publishers cut back on costs. Freelancers, who may have less experience, are being used as in-house editors are sacked. Gail Carriger's Soulless may be delightful, but I'll never know: in the first three pages there were such glaring editorial errors that I threw it aside and have no intention of picking it up again. Of course, I've been a full-time editor at a book publisher for seven years now, and I taught English composition before that, so I'm particular--but it makes me furious to see glaring editorial errors in my reading.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #1614 on: January 06, 2014, 12:07:18 PM »
I like the fact that self-publishing has become so easy but I do think that more self-published authors should use editors. I was reading one book that I think was supposed to be a sort of serious military romance but some word choices made it unintentionally comical (or maybe it was meant to be spy parody and I didn't just realise it). There was a gun that was a government loner and the hero who spoke in deep Russian baroque. The heroine also blinked very slowly and sexily, I'm not sure how that works (can you blink slowly?). Though I also couldn't really buy the happy end between an American spy and a Russian one, even if he was going to retire (but continue working for his country), so I guess the other things didn't matter.

I just tried blinking slowly. No success.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

Petticoats

« Reply #1615 on: January 06, 2014, 12:15:21 PM »

I can blink slowly; often do, in fact, if my eyes are dry and I want to rest them a little. And I can do it sexily, too.  ;)  Maybe it's a genetic thing like the ability to roll one's tongue.

Jocelyn

« Reply #1616 on: January 06, 2014, 12:17:59 PM »

I can blink slowly; often do, in fact, if my eyes are dry and I want to rest them a little. And I can do it sexily, too.  ;)  Maybe it's a genetic thing like the ability to roll one's tongue.
Cats blink slowly all the time!  ;D

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1617 on: January 06, 2014, 02:17:31 PM »

I'm having trouble figuring out why you couldn't blink slowly. It's a voluntary movement, after all, even if it's also reflex. I can blink slowly just like I can breathe slowly. You just have to think about it.

magicdomino

« Reply #1618 on: January 06, 2014, 04:21:53 PM »

Cats blink slowly all the time!  ;D

And I can blink slowly back.  It does take a bit of concentration, and I'm pretty sure the cats do not regard it as sexy.  Actually, they don't regard it as much of anything. 

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #1619 on: January 06, 2014, 07:16:24 PM »
But blinking slowly by itself doesn't really tell you anything. You can blink slowly in surprise, or meditatively, but just blinking slowly by itself isn't something to take seriously.