Author Topic: Reading/Book Pet Peeves  (Read 248554 times)

rose red

• Super Hero!
Re: Reading/Book Pet Peeves
« Reply #1710 on: February 26, 2014, 02:42:56 PM »
I recently read a book where it just seem like the author is just using the book to show off how cool (but to me, just how pretentious) she is.  The sad thing is the book has flashes of being really good if she would just tell the story instead of repeatedly derailing it with references about hip music, hip brands of cigarettes, pop culture, etc.  There was even pages about the main character observing a clerk and customer debating about music.  It was just so random with characters and situations that has nothing to do with the book except to, once again, for the author show us how cool she thinks she is.  Some authors are skilled enough to include these things to make it work.  This one did not.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #1711 on: February 26, 2014, 02:59:25 PM »

And, in the things I've read anyway, there's sometimes forced ambiguity about who the Chosen One is, maybe even specific other people that it could be... Except you're 99% sure it's the main character, and in the end, it is. I don't think it's a spoiler by this point to say that Harry Potter was indeed the Chosen One, for example, but I thought it would have been awesome if, at the very end, it turned out to be another character, who fit all the criteria of the prophecy, surprising the heck out of everyone. Which would certainly not have negated Harry's contributions to that world at all, I don't think. I saw something similar in another popular tween book series that I just finished reading--kept hoping maybe it would turn out the main character wasn't the Chosen One after all, and then he was.

Actually, the other candidate for being the Chosen One has a very significant contribution. One could argue that it's both of them.

Not to spoil things - but the Lightning Thief (forget the name of the series) has a "Chosen One" and several candidates.  One of them realizes almost at the last moment in the last book of series 1 that...it isn't him after all.  Which might or might not be related to the fact that there is a second series with some of the characters from the first series...

It might be YA - but I loved the first series!  Have been waiting until series 2 is complete so I can sit down and read the whole thing one weekend...or week, if I decide to start over again after finishing the last one (looking for foreshadowing & clues I might have missed the first time around).
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1712 on: February 26, 2014, 04:26:06 PM »

And, in the things I've read anyway, there's sometimes forced ambiguity about who the Chosen One is, maybe even specific other people that it could be... Except you're 99% sure it's the main character, and in the end, it is. I don't think it's a spoiler by this point to say that Harry Potter was indeed the Chosen One, for example, but I thought it would have been awesome if, at the very end, it turned out to be another character, who fit all the criteria of the prophecy, surprising the heck out of everyone. Which would certainly not have negated Harry's contributions to that world at all, I don't think. I saw something similar in another popular tween book series that I just finished reading--kept hoping maybe it would turn out the main character wasn't the Chosen One after all, and then he was.

Actually, the other candidate for being the Chosen One has a very significant contribution. One could argue that it's both of them.

Not to spoil things - but the Lightning Thief (forget the name of the series) has a "Chosen One" and several candidates.  One of them realizes almost at the last moment in the last book of series 1 that...it isn't him after all.  Which might or might not be related to the fact that there is a second series with some of the characters from the first series...

It might be YA - but I loved the first series!  Have been waiting until series 2 is complete so I can sit down and read the whole thing one weekend...or week, if I decide to start over again after finishing the last one (looking for foreshadowing & clues I might have missed the first time around).

My friend Amy is reading series 2 (beginning with The Lost Hero), having finished all of series 1, and she really loves it. She's decided to get all the books in hardcover so she can keep them looking nice longer and read them to her kids, which puts them up there with Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, and Narnia for her. I don't think she rated the first series that highly, though she did enjoy it. I look forward to starting them myself.

For some reason when series 2 was first advertised, I thought it was basically a spin-off of Percy Jackson and the Olympians (series 1) but for younger kids, with new characters. That happens sometimes--popular series of books at a certain level, the author doesn't want to write those hard things anymore but the publisher wants to keep the money train going, so someone arranges a spin-off series for the next age group down, waters down the writing and the plots, but keeps the setting basically the same. Gosh, I sound really cynical about those. I guess in my experience they just haven't been very good, although technically there's no reason why they couldn't be. It would be nice if I could think of some examples, wouldn't it...
~Lynn2000

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #1713 on: February 26, 2014, 04:51:52 PM »
According to my DD, the first books in the first series had a very funny Percy Jackson. And the author found it hard to sustain, so the later ones aren't quite as funny w/ Percy's mental asides.

I agree with her. The later books are very enjoyable, but they lack the "snarky, funny Percy" touch.

I like both series.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1714 on: February 26, 2014, 06:29:03 PM »

I'm rereading Order of the Phoenix now, and just past the part where Dumbledore explains the prophecy to Harry and it is clear it could have been himself or the other boy born as the 7th month dies, but Voldemort marked Harry as his equal because he only heard the first part of it.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

andi

« Reply #1715 on: February 26, 2014, 10:32:03 PM »
A quick derail:  which series would you recommend first /most, the "Percy Jackson Olympian" or "Kane" series? Or am I confused on series one and two?

Corvid

• Etiquette Hell Thread Assassin Squad
« Reply #1716 on: February 26, 2014, 10:45:27 PM »
A quick derail:  which series would you recommend first /most, the "Percy Jackson Olympian" or "Kane" series? Or am I confused on series one and two?

No, they're two different series.

Which do you prefer, Greek or Egyptian mythology?

andi

« Reply #1717 on: February 26, 2014, 11:08:18 PM »
Greek I know more about - I'll start there.  Thanks!!

Cherry91

« Reply #1718 on: February 27, 2014, 11:26:01 AM »
It's kind of like the Jane Austen/classics debate--some people really like Jane Austen, some people don't. (My mom likes her books, I'm kind of neutral.) I think it's great to have all kinds of books in the world. But yeah, it's frustrating to be in a situation where you must read certain things (like school assignments) and the people in charge always seem to pick books of the same "type." It's so easy to overdose that way and learn to dislike whole genres.

I had an English teacher in high school who really liked John Steinbeck. We read East of Eden, Of Mice and Men, The Pearl, and Grapes of Wrath. I liked East of Eden (first one). By the time we finished Grapes of Wrath (the fourth one), I kind of hated Steinbeck. That's not the feeling you want to leave a young reader with, you know?
And that's why so few people enjoy poetry, because they were forced to dissect it in high school English.

On the other side, there's nothing more frustrating than being assigned a book you've already read on your own, because you know that by the time you're done going through ever page, theme and paragraph with a fine tooth comb, you are going to hate every one of the characters and events because you've had to reread and reanalyse their every dialogue and action...

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1719 on: February 27, 2014, 11:29:09 AM »
I had a teacher that made analyzing poetry fun by printing up the lyrics to well known songs of the 60s, 70s and 80s for us to analyze.  Only annoying thing was that he would only accept one possible interpretation of the lyrics, the one the writer intended for it.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Margo

« Reply #1720 on: February 27, 2014, 11:59:20 AM »
How did he know what the writer intended?

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1721 on: February 27, 2014, 12:06:23 PM »
Exactly.  My sister is my first reader, and several times she has interpreted things in the manuscript that I didn't intend at all.  Her interpretations make sense, but *I* thought that line was just a throwaway, not a deep foreshadowing of future events.

So unless the teacher was in the writer's head at the time that s/he was committing words to paper, or the writer has spoken of his/her work elsewhere, the teacher CANNOT know exactly what the writer intended.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1722 on: February 27, 2014, 12:06:55 PM »

I have no idea, but he liked to act like he alone knew.  ::)

nuit93

« Reply #1723 on: February 27, 2014, 12:16:23 PM »
I had a teacher that made analyzing poetry fun by printing up the lyrics to well known songs of the 60s, 70s and 80s for us to analyze.  Only annoying thing was that he would only accept one possible interpretation of the lyrics, the one the writer intended for it.

I heard a rumor once that "I Am The Walrus" was written for the express purpose of confusing anyone who was analyzing the lyrics as poetry.

goldilocks

« Reply #1724 on: February 27, 2014, 12:31:53 PM »
It's really interesting when you hear the songwriter explain the meaning behind some songs.

Jett, for example, was the name of one of the band members dog.