Author Topic: Reading/Book Pet Peeves  (Read 254912 times)

Seraphia

• Unabashed cat person
Re: Reading/Book Pet Peeves
« Reply #1830 on: March 12, 2014, 01:24:28 PM »
Mary wed one of her uncle Edward Gardiner's law clerks and moved to Meryton with him.

It was Uncle Phillips' clerk. (He's the one who lived in Meryton. Mr. Gardiner was in trade and lived in London).

This is spelled out in a memoir one of her nephews wrote about her. He also mentions Kitty marries a clergyman near Pemberley.

Thanks, both of you, for the info.  That's (hopefully) a happier life than I expected for Mary.  Just to clarify though, whose nephew?  Mary's?  If so, who wrote the memoir and do you have a link?  I've read pretty much all of Jane Austen's work that's available and I don't remember coming across that.

Austen's nephew wrote the memoir about his aunt that included the fates of a few of her minor characters. It's available as a free e-text, just google J.E. Austen-Leigh, or A Memoir of Jane Austen.
Ancora Imparo - I am still learning

Queen of Clubs

« Reply #1831 on: March 12, 2014, 01:56:48 PM »
Austen's nephew wrote the memoir about his aunt that included the fates of a few of her minor characters. It's available as a free e-text, just google J.E. Austen-Leigh, or A Memoir of Jane Austen.

Done!  And downloaded to my PC for free.  Thanks so much, Seraphia!

Yarnspinner

« Reply #1832 on: March 13, 2014, 11:52:49 AM »
Has anyone read "The Pursuit of Mary Bennet"?

It's a bit over the top, and fairly clear where we are going with the story, but still a fun read.  Among other things:

1) Lydia is pregnant...by another man
2)Whickam decides to divorce her.
3) Mary and Kitty squaring off over one of Mr. Bingley's friends....
4) AND the new, young minister.....
5) Mary falling in love with her new baby niece and wanting to fight Lydia for her....

There's a bit of squick about the niece.....but the story is really quite fun and Mary comes across as a much more humanized girl.  I always worried about her, too.  Mary was always such a tattle tale and a determined spotlight stealer, at least in the 1980 TV version.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1833 on: March 13, 2014, 02:59:21 PM »
I will agree with Petticoats, as I have read some good books courtesy of free lists. One being The Seal Island Trilogy by Sophie Moss. Now I'm reading The Journeyman but can't recall the author's name.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

parrot_girl

« Reply #1834 on: March 15, 2014, 12:35:54 AM »
My huge pet peeve: when authors either do no research or decide that they had better write for an "international" market.
Case in point: I read a few sample chapters of a zombie apocalypse novel set in Australia. It started off with the twenty-something heroes coming back from a holiday (Me: "Oh cool, I know that area!") and then....
-they mentioned how delightful the weather had been during their 'vacation' (we generally use 'holiday')
-the weather had been in 'the high nineties' (I went "what?" before I realised they meant Fahrenheit! No! We use Celcius here!)
-they decided to pull in at a 'gas station' (no, Australians use "petrol station". Or "servo".)
-to buy 'gas' (no, 'petrol'. Unless you're driving a vehicle using LPG.)
- they needed 'gallons' of the aforementioned 'gas' (no, we have been using the metric system since 1967, and petrol is sold by the litre.)
-upon realising that bad things had happened while they were away, they decided to arm themselves from the 'gas station''s gun and ammo display."
That last one? NO. REALLY JUST NO. Look up Australia's gun laws some time. Petrol stations do *not* sell guns and ammo, at least never where I've been. I admit I've never been in the deep outback, where it's vaguely possible; but arms are NEVER on open display! Our heroes would be better off heading to the local Bunnings (hardware shop) and stocking up on shovels and axes.

and that was all in the first chapter! I didn't bother paying the $1.99 for the rest of it.

Fliss

• Australia - the land that time forgot.
« Reply #1835 on: March 15, 2014, 01:05:16 AM »
My huge pet peeve: when authors either do no research or decide that they had better write for an "international" market.
Case in point: I read a few sample chapters of a zombie apocalypse novel set in Australia. It started off with the twenty-something heroes coming back from a holiday (Me: "Oh cool, I know that area!") and then....
-they mentioned how delightful the weather had been during their 'vacation' (we generally use 'holiday')
-the weather had been in 'the high nineties' (I went "what?" before I realised they meant Fahrenheit! No! We use Celcius here!)
-they decided to pull in at a 'gas station' (no, Australians use "petrol station". Or "servo".)
- they needed 'gallons' of the aforementioned 'gas' (no, we have been using the metric system since 1967, and petrol is sold by the litre.)
-upon realising that bad things had happened while they were away, they decided to arm themselves from the 'gas station''s gun and ammo display."
That last one? NO. REALLY JUST NO. Look up Australia's gun laws some time. Petrol stations do *not* sell guns and ammo, at least never where I've been. I admit I've never been in the deep outback, where it's vaguely possible; but arms are NEVER on open display! Our heroes would be better off heading to the local Bunnings (hardware shop) and stocking up on shovels and axes.

and that was all in the first chapter! I didn't bother paying the $1.99 for the rest of it.

And aside from all of that, no zombie attack would last beyond 10 days in Oz. Even in the depths of winter, our weather and fly population would leave all zombies rotting puddles of goo by day 10.

One of the reasons I can't watch things like Walking Dead. I can suspend belief, but not physics.

Good news! Your insurance company says they'll cover you. Unfortunately, they also say it will be with dirt.

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #1836 on: March 15, 2014, 01:50:43 AM »

And aside from all of that, no zombie attack would last beyond 10 days in Oz. Even in the depths of winter, our weather and fly population would leave all zombies rotting puddles of goo by day 10.

One of the reasons I can't watch things like Walking Dead. I can suspend belief, but not physics.

Which is why I love Mira Grant's short story that takes place in Australia. It's the one place where zombies aren't seen as a threat because "we already have loads of dangerous animals, what's one more?" :)

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
« Reply #1837 on: March 15, 2014, 06:27:50 AM »

I detect an American author who didn't bother to do ANY RESEARCH WHATSOEVER apart from "Hey, Australia is cool!"  8)
"Set aphasia to stun!"

Free Range Hippy Chick

« Reply #1838 on: March 15, 2014, 07:04:32 AM »
I read - I skipped through after actually reading the first ten pages, because I could see the train crash coming - a novel set in 21st century England, not in an AU, in which the whole plot depended on people's identity cards. Five minutes with the search engine of the author's choice would have told her that we in the UK don't have identity cards. In fact, within the period in which the book was set, the whole identity card thing had been widely and nationally discussed, and then dropped after it had been made plain to a variety of politicans of all colours that the imposition of identity cards on British nationals would be not just a bit of a vote loser, but probably sufficient to bring down a government with a sizeable majority. 

But hey, England is cool too!

Cherry91

« Reply #1839 on: March 15, 2014, 07:34:14 AM »
I read - I skipped through after actually reading the first ten pages, because I could see the train crash coming - a novel set in 21st century England, not in an AU, in which the whole plot depended on people's identity cards. Five minutes with the search engine of the author's choice would have told her that we in the UK don't have identity cards. In fact, within the period in which the book was set, the whole identity card thing had been widely and nationally discussed, and then dropped after it had been made plain to a variety of politicans of all colours that the imposition of identity cards on British nationals would be not just a bit of a vote loser, but probably sufficient to bring down a government with a sizeable majority. 

But hey, England is cool too!

Yeah, it was quite a big thing at the time that the government were trying to introduce compulsory ID cards and the public basically torpedoed the plans in every way they could. A single Google search could have told the writer that...

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #1840 on: March 15, 2014, 02:15:37 PM »
When the author ignores changes in an industry's processes and bases a book on the old way.

A book I read depended on the process of plasma donation.  The process that the author described had not been used in the region/time the author set the book for many years.  The only plasma collection companies in the area had switched to a different process years before the novel was written.

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #1841 on: March 15, 2014, 02:48:22 PM »
There are a few long-running book series I read where some of the details/background were correct decades ago, but now, not so much.  It probably wouldn't matter to someone unfamiliar with the books' settings, but it's pretty jarring to someone who actually lives in the area.

Corvid

• Etiquette Hell Thread Assassin Squad
« Reply #1842 on: March 16, 2014, 01:30:57 PM »

Hmmm.  I'm not sure where in the states one might find a gas station with a gun and ammo display, if it comes to that.  Most gas stations I've ever been to are more likely to have displays of jerky, chips, candy, and soft drinks.

But how convenient for the protagonists of this story.

Reika

« Reply #1843 on: March 16, 2014, 03:14:41 PM »
Hmmm.  I'm not sure where in the states one might find a gas station with a gun and ammo display, if it comes to that.  Most gas stations I've ever been to are more likely to have displays of jerky, chips, candy, and soft drinks.

Snipping the quote tree. :)

I don't know of any convenience stores in the US, even down here in Florida where to me it seemed like a large number of stores have some sort of gun display. Better off hitting a Wally World or some sort of outdoorsman type store, or even a general department store.

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1844 on: March 16, 2014, 04:03:19 PM »

Snipping the quote tree. :)

I don't know of any convenience stores in the US, even down here in Florida where to me it seemed like a large number of stores have some sort of gun display. Better off hitting a Wally World or some sort of outdoorsman type store, or even a general department store.

I live in Texas, where you can find gun and ammo stores pretty easily, and I still haven't seen them in convenience stores. Knives, yes, but not guns. I agree Wal-Mart would be the much better choice. Stock up on food, camping supplies, and weapons all in one go!