Author Topic: Reading/Book Pet Peeves  (Read 230748 times)

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
Re: Reading/Book Pet Peeves
« Reply #1845 on: March 16, 2014, 04:19:08 PM »
Yep, round here Walmart's the place to go.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1846 on: March 17, 2014, 02:01:58 AM »
I'm firmly convinced that some authors look only at a couple of initial paragraphs on Wikipedia and figure that if the answer to their question isn't there, then nobody knows the answer and they can make up whatever they like. 

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #1847 on: March 17, 2014, 02:20:06 AM »
Pet peeve - authors who get simple facts wrong. Two major ones I can think of:
In "Thirteen Little Blue Envelopes" the "midnight sun" of Denmark is mentioned repeatedly. Well, unless you are in Greenland, there is no such thing as midnight sun. Very short nights to be sure, but not that short.

And in one of Lili St. Crow's novels (Strange Angels I think), she mentions "8:30pm... Or 1630 hours if you want to get all military about it." Eh.... no. Not even close.

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #1848 on: March 17, 2014, 02:40:23 AM »
It does exist in other parts of Scandinavia like Sweden and Finland as well as Iceland and Russia, but not Denmark.

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #1849 on: March 17, 2014, 03:31:29 AM »
It does exist in other parts of Scandinavia like Sweden and Finland as well as Iceland and Russia, but not Denmark.

I meant "Unless you are in Greenland, there's no such thing as midnight sun in Denmark." I know it exists in other Scandinavian countries :)

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #1850 on: March 18, 2014, 02:53:09 AM »
I know of a couple Appliance & Ammo stores, but no convenience store with a gun display around here.

Corvid

• Etiquette Hell Thread Assassin Squad
« Reply #1851 on: March 18, 2014, 07:48:50 AM »
And in one of Lili St. Crow's novels (Strange Angels I think), she mentions "8:30pm... Or 1630 hours if you want to get all military about it." Eh.... no. Not even close.

Oh, what's four little hours here or there?

Jocelyn

« Reply #1852 on: March 18, 2014, 01:57:08 PM »
A recent historical romance: the heroine makes a very nice Victorian lady. Except the novel is set in 1260.
She sketches skillfully, because, you know, in 1260, paper was so plentiful that ladies were able to develop their sketching skills.

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #1853 on: March 18, 2014, 02:04:27 PM »
I know of a couple Appliance & Ammo stores, but no convenience store with a gun display around here.

Plus don't you have to run background checks and other things that make buying a gun in a store a lot more difficult and take longer then picking up a box of cereal?

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #1854 on: March 18, 2014, 02:39:42 PM »

Actually, it's about 8 hours. 1630 is 4:30 pm.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #1855 on: March 18, 2014, 02:41:12 PM »

8:30 pm is only 4 hours from 4:30 pm.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #1856 on: March 18, 2014, 02:44:02 PM »

8:30 pm is only 4 hours from 4:30 pm.

Lol. I was thinking 8:30 am!

Just shows why we shouldn't mix military time with regular time!

(Although I was wondering why the author wouldn't have noticed something off there.)
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

DavidH

« Reply #1857 on: March 18, 2014, 03:05:18 PM »
Any book where you have employees of a large company holding someone hostage for being in a building or shooting at people in the corridors.  I've worked for a number of large companies and all our security people do is check ID badges as you walk in.  Where do these companies find such dedicated and lawless employees that they are willing to shoot a person without an ID badge who is just walking around on campus? 

Reika

« Reply #1858 on: March 18, 2014, 07:08:28 PM »
Any book where you have employees of a large company holding someone hostage for being in a building or shooting at people in the corridors.  I've worked for a number of large companies and all our security people do is check ID badges as you walk in.  Where do these companies find such dedicated and lawless employees that they are willing to shoot a person without an ID badge who is just walking around on campus?

Aside from books where something was some sort of ultra secret site or a cyberpunk setting, I have to agree. In my experience most office buildings/campuses/sites of big companies don't have armed guards. They don't even have a taser or pepper spray.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1859 on: March 18, 2014, 08:02:20 PM »
I agree with wanting to throw authors who don't do even basic research across the room. 

Wilbur Smith is one.  I eagerly tried one of his books and put it down after a page or two.  He talked about an obelisk with four sides.  Each side referred to a different season of the year. 

Sorry, Will. The Pharaonic Egyptians didn't have four seasons of three months each.  They had three seasons of four months each. After that, I couldn't read anything more.