Author Topic: Reading/Book Pet Peeves  (Read 254855 times)

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
Re: Reading/Book Pet Peeves
« Reply #2175 on: August 22, 2014, 10:29:25 AM »
When an author is trying to present a character's absolute need for something that prevails over all other thought.

"She drank her first cup of coffee naked in her kitchen."

Thinking about this, the character lives in an apartment. There are probably windows in her kitchen, there have been in every kitchen I have experienced except for my office. So, does she close the blinds? Drink it in the dark?

This is what occurs to me on sleepless nights. Especially since I have read that particular book 5+ times.

Well, to be fair, I could do that in my apartment if I wanted. :) Other apartments are so close that I keep the blinds shut all the time. Actually in one window I put up that opaque stuff that lets light in but you can't see clearly through it. And, technically I don't have a window in my kitchen. There's one in the bedroom and one in the living room. The living room is open to the kitchen, but the kitchen is where the door to the outer hall is--it's on an inside wall, so no windows.

Me, I would be more concerned about dropping hot liquids on my skin if I tried to get myself a cup of coffee before I was even awake enough to get dressed...
~Lynn2000

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #2176 on: August 22, 2014, 10:55:36 AM »
POD your reply.

I'm too tall to stand in my kitchen unclothed unless I had the blinds closed to our balcony, on the balcony door and the living room, so that's not happening. Not to mention that I would have to go downstairs to reach the kitchen!

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #2177 on: August 22, 2014, 11:24:34 AM »
I have a basement apartment so if I choose to wear a ball gown or my birthday suit, nobody's going to see. If you're in a city apartment several stories up, that might be more of an issue.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

Tea Drinker

• Now part of Team Land Crab
« Reply #2178 on: August 22, 2014, 11:49:54 AM »
In my previous apartment, my kitchen window looked out on a wall of other people's bathroom windows, all of which were frosted glass, and awkward to look out of even if open. In theory, my next-door neighbors could have leaned around the corner of their kitchen and seen into mine; in practice, that was pretty unlikely.

The current place is open-plan, but we close the living room blinds before we go to bed, so again, no stranger is going to see me drinking my tea, or eating my yogurt, naked.

Alternatively, the author may have been trying to make a point about the character being so desperate for coffee she didn't even think about the fact that she was naked.
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #2179 on: August 22, 2014, 01:08:35 PM »
I don't have a window in my apartment kitchen - I never thought of that until just now. 

All my windows have mini blinds, covered by curtains.  I could walk around naked but I might pass a mirror and scare myself  >:D

jmarvellous

« Reply #2180 on: August 22, 2014, 02:59:00 PM »
The author probably didn't have this issue and thus didn't think about it being a problem for the character.

I live in an urban apartment on the back side of a building on a busy street and can see 2 other buildings from my window, but I've never seen another (human) soul through the blinds during the daytime, only at night if they forget to close them. (Cats like to sit pressed up against the glass.) Some windows are only 10+ feet away.

I also tend to keep my blinds 2/3 closed in the mornings and closed at night because they're southeast-facing, so I wouldn't be totally averse to a naked coffee for purposes of avoiding prurient neighbors.

(And, thinking back to it, at least 2/3 of my apartments have either been windowless in the kitchen -- or the windows were not visible from the street or neighboring units.)

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2181 on: August 22, 2014, 09:15:33 PM »
Yeah, my first apartment was on the 11th floor and didn't look out on any other buildings for a couple of blocks. I could dance naked in front of my window if I wanted.

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #2182 on: August 23, 2014, 01:53:02 AM »
Quote from: Jocelyn
Well...W&M isn't my alma mater...I was trying to mention my own alma mater without holding it up for disgrace.  ::) But its football teams were an embarrassment, especially since we were geographically located between the two powerhouses in our conference...

You went to UW-Madison too?

shhh its me

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2183 on: August 23, 2014, 12:07:27 PM »
When an author is trying to present a character's absolute need for something that prevails over all other thought.

"She drank her first cup of coffee naked in her kitchen."

Thinking about this, the character lives in an apartment. There are probably windows in her kitchen, there have been in every kitchen I have experienced except for my office. So, does she close the blinds? Drink it in the dark?

This is what occurs to me on sleepless nights. Especially since I have read that particular book 5+ times.

I never needed to open the blinds to see during the day.=, I read with my blinds closed to keep it cooler.  Even the really thick drapes weren't enough keep me form seeing enough to walk around the room and have a cup of coffee, they do keep it dark enough to not be able to tell nay blue from black or to see a stain. 

Jocelyn

« Reply #2184 on: August 23, 2014, 03:41:36 PM »
Quote from: Jocelyn
Well...W&M isn't my alma mater...I was trying to mention my own alma mater without holding it up for disgrace.  ::) But its football teams were an embarrassment, especially since we were geographically located between the two powerhouses in our conference...

You went to UW-Madison too?
Well, to avoid a threadjack re: geographical football, I'll out myself. ::)
University of Kansas, located between OU and Nebraska.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #2185 on: August 24, 2014, 07:18:16 AM »
I have a basement apartment so if I choose to wear a ball gown or my birthday suit, nobody's going to see. If you're in a city apartment several stories up, that might be more of an issue.

I actually have some posters mounted on board that I put in front of my living room windows to block out the sun.  The building behind me is the same height, so I could sit naked in my living room if I wanted to.

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #2186 on: September 23, 2014, 06:37:26 PM »
Someone recommended Juliet's Nurse to me - basically, telling the story of Juliet's nurse from Romeo and Juliet. It is not meant as a parody but as a serious retelling, expanding on all that was going on in the background. I head over to Amazon and I find out that the Nurse had been hired by the "Capelletti". Sorry, I am not interested in reading about pasta.

http://www.amazon.com/Juliets-Nurse-Novel-Lois-Leveen/dp/1476757445

dawnfire

« Reply #2187 on: September 23, 2014, 07:39:25 PM »
Saying that people could not decide if twin sisters were fraternal or identical when when one was blond with grey eyes and the other had brown hair and green eyes.

cabbagegirl28

• violinp's my sister :)
« Reply #2188 on: September 23, 2014, 07:41:17 PM »
Saying that people could not decide if twin sisters were fraternal or identical when when one was blond with grey eyes and the other had brown hair and green eyes.

*facepalm* That's almost as bad as the time someone got into a fight with me over what type of twins violinp and I were. Yes, someone tried to argue with me about whether I was a fraternal or identical twin.

Vita brevis, ars longa

Jocelyn

« Reply #2189 on: September 23, 2014, 08:34:03 PM »

*facepalm* That's almost as bad as the time someone got into a fight with me over what type of twins violinp and I were. Yes, someone tried to argue with me about whether I was a fraternal or identical twin.
My mother once met a woman who insisted that she had an identical twin brother.