News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• October 23, 2017, 03:39:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Reading/Book Pet Peeves  (Read 866179 times)

Elisabunny

Re: Reading/Book Pet Peeves
« Reply #3585 on: September 19, 2017, 08:16:45 PM »
  I'm not sure I would want to read a police procedural that was full of characters who were "Gosh darn it all to heck"

I once was asked to critique a book about gangs, murders,violence and drugs by the person who wrote it.  The worst swearing ni the book was basically; "Golly gee wilikers."  This was someone as they were dying from a gunshot wound.  That and the fact that the entire plot of the book was that some gangs happened and then they all saw some woman walking down the street (from the description the author) and talked to her and she told them some inspirational sentence and they all decided to stop being in gangs, dealing drugs and murdering each other and all went down the straight and narrow path - the end made it so I worried about being honest

If modern authors really want to have the characters swear but are against including bad words, they really need to read old fiction.  I'm thinking of type where the author just says that the character swore, or used language that would make a sailor blush, or employed several extremely graphic and inventive curses.  It gets the point across, and the reader is free to fill in the actual words (or not) however they wish.
You must remember this: a ghoti is still a fish...

JadeGirl

« Reply #3586 on: September 19, 2017, 09:01:46 PM »
  I'm not sure I would want to read a police procedural that was full of characters who were "Gosh darn it all to heck"

I once was asked to critique a book about gangs, murders,violence and drugs by the person who wrote it.  The worst swearing ni the book was basically; "Golly gee wilikers."  This was someone as they were dying from a gunshot wound.  That and the fact that the entire plot of the book was that some gangs happened and then they all saw some woman walking down the street (from the description the author) and talked to her and she told them some inspirational sentence and they all decided to stop being in gangs, dealing drugs and murdering each other and all went down the straight and narrow path - the end made it so I worried about being honest

If modern authors really want to have the characters swear but are against including bad words, they really need to read old fiction.  I'm thinking of type where the author just says that the character swore, or used language that would make a sailor blush, or employed several extremely graphic and inventive curses.  It gets the point across, and the reader is free to fill in the actual words (or not) however they wish.

David and Leigh Eddings are particularly good at this technique.

VorFemme

• It's too darned hot! (song from Kiss Me, Kate)
« Reply #3587 on: September 19, 2017, 09:11:24 PM »
David & Leigh Eddings were one of those couples who wrote together and it was far better when they were together than anything that seemed to result from either working solo (not that there was much, if anything published under just her name) - but their strong points balanced perfectly with the other person...without her editing & contributions, he was still good, even very good - but it just didn't have the same *near perfection* of phrasing and plot threads being both trite but with a new spin to them that made things oddly fresh & new. 

They are missed...

And I was "lucky enough" to only find the Belgariad after it was finished and got a copy of Polgarra's story as a present when it came out - so the whole story, "from another point of view"...magical.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

Stricken_Halo

« Reply #3588 on: September 19, 2017, 10:03:49 PM »

Or they used hyphens: "d---" (sometimes spelled with an e at the end.

As for Sherlock Holmes, while it's been a long time since I read any of the stories, I do remember that he used drugs (couldn't remember if it was cocaine or not) because they helped sharpen his mind and that he wasn't afraid to get into a dust up if necessary.

Yes, according to The Victorian Web, he took cocaine when he was bored between cases, although he never used while on a case. He also smoked continually.

BeagleMommy

« Reply #3589 on: September 21, 2017, 09:38:25 AM »
I have one professor who will routinely ask for things that our computer just won't/can't do (example: we cannot run a gpa report from a previous semester once the ones for the current semester are entered.  You would have to look at each individual student - all 300 of them).

When I tell her this, she stops talking, stands in my doorway, and just stares.  It's like she's waiting for me to say "April Fool!".

I've gotten to the point that I just turn back to my computer and wait for her to leave.

vintagegal

« Reply #3590 on: September 28, 2017, 09:58:18 AM »
I hope this is not too controversial for this board, and I am not trying to start an argument with anyone, but I have a real problem with people writing memoirs from the viewpoint of "Deity is wonderful because he saved ME from this horrible catastrophe" (ignoring all the other people who died in said catastrophe, and who probably prayed just as much as you did.)

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #3591 on: September 28, 2017, 01:25:12 PM »
I hope this is not too controversial for this board, and I am not trying to start an argument with anyone, but I have a real problem with people writing memoirs from the viewpoint of "Deity is wonderful because he saved ME from this horrible catastrophe" (ignoring all the other people who died in said catastrophe, and who probably prayed just as much as you did.)

While I find these stories inspirational I generally agree with you.

My mom died after a long, difficult battle with cancer.  She survived the first bout and told everyone how her family's prayers helped save her and her SIL's prayer chain and group prayer and so on and on. 

Then when the cancer returned it was rapid, brutal and terminal.  While I don't believe Deity failed her, I don't think it was only prayer that saved her the first time either. 

Luci

« Reply #3592 on: September 28, 2017, 07:32:55 PM »

While I find these stories inspirational I generally agree with you.

My mom died after a long, difficult battle with cancer.  She survived the first bout and told everyone how her family's prayers helped save her and her SIL's prayer chain and group prayer and so on and on. 

Then when the cancer returned it was rapid, brutal and terminal.  While I don't believe Deity failed her, I don't think it was only prayer that saved her the first time either.     

I am a survivor and wonder why God chose to let me live when so many have died. I do believe in the power of prayer, but still wonder, and agree with you. If I were writing about it, I would mention that the prayers gave me strength to keep fighting but it was still God's plan that I live. Since I'm so confused, I can really understand how others, especially without faith, have a problem with the whole thing.

And remember the story of the "good Christian girl" and and thugs didn't attack her because they saw angels protecting her. That one burns me, too. A lot of people without faith and prayer survive lots of close calls and disasters. We will think it was the hand of God, too, and just not mention it to them. It won't change anyone's faith and just be irritating.

In other words, like Redneck Gravy, "I generally agree with you."

rose red

« Reply #3593 on: September 28, 2017, 08:21:01 PM »
*snip*

And remember the story of the "good Christian girl" and and thugs didn't attack her because they saw angels protecting her. That one burns me, too. A lot of people without faith and prayer survive lots of close calls and disasters. We will think it was the hand of God, too, and just not mention it to them. It won't change anyone's faith and just be irritating.

I was thinking of this story too when I read the current discussion and was formulating words to post about it. That one makes me mad too. Like the other girl deserved getting attacked. Like "See. It wouldn't have happened to you either if you believed." >:( I would like to think God isn't that petty.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 08:29:30 PM by rose red »

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
« Reply #3594 on: September 28, 2017, 11:34:14 PM »
Those stories make me stabby.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #3595 on: September 29, 2017, 09:25:59 AM »
*snip*

I was thinking of this story too when I read the current discussion and was formulating words to post about it. That one makes me mad too. Like the other girl deserved getting attacked. Like "See. It wouldn't have happened to you either if you believed." >:( I would like to think God isn't that petty.

POD!

People that say those type of things should be, I don't know, clubbed with a pair of clue by fours, repeatedly.

atirial

• just 'plane mad
    • Tirial & Errror blog
« Reply #3596 on: October 01, 2017, 11:24:59 AM »
Well, today I learned that writing issues are not always a new thing. I was preparing an index of first lines of novels, an interesting job. It was all going well, and then this afternoon I encountered Edward Bulwer-Lytton. The database field had to be extended.

Is it wrong to want to shout "get an editor" at someone who's been dead over a century years? Opening sentences should not be more than ten lines long!

Slartibartfast

• Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #3597 on: October 01, 2017, 11:46:06 AM »
There's a whole Bulwer-Lytton Fiction Contest for terrible first lines. The winners are some real doozies.

Chez Miriam

« Reply #3598 on: October 01, 2017, 12:36:57 PM »
Well, today I learned that writing issues are not always a new thing. I was preparing an index of first lines of novels, an interesting job. It was all going well, and then this afternoon I encountered Edward Bulwer-Lytton. The database field had to be extended.

Is it wrong to want to shout "get an editor" at someone who's been dead over a century years? Opening sentences should not be more than ten lines long!

<Put's hand up to admit to yelling at Cervantes to "get to the point!"> :-[
"All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well."  - Julian of Norwich

athersgeo

• No one told you when to run
« Reply #3599 on: October 01, 2017, 02:21:42 PM »

<Put's hand up to admit to yelling at Cervantes to "get to the point!"> :-[

<Raises hand to admit to doing the same thing to Dickens>