News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 23, 2017, 07:35:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Reading/Book Pet Peeves  (Read 902634 times)

vintagegal

Re: Reading/Book Pet Peeves
« Reply #3645 on: October 13, 2017, 06:18:29 PM »
A pet peeve related to the book classification.

Please, publishers, somewhere on the jacket or the back, I would like a description of the book I hold in my hands. I don't want a summary of a different book (do you want me to drop the book I'm holding and buy that one instead?) and I don't want all the praise that other writers have heaped upon this book, this author, or some other book by this author. Tell me what I'm getting - I think of this like the ingredient label on some food. The marketing stuff and nutrition info is great, but if I don't know the ingredients, I'm not buying.

You can include all that other stuff if you want, but give me at least one paragraph about what this book is actually about!

AMEN to that!!!

Reika

« Reply #3646 on: October 13, 2017, 07:27:22 PM »

Please, publishers, somewhere on the jacket or the back, I would like a description of the book I hold in my hands. I don't want a summary of a different book (do you want me to drop the book I'm holding and buy that one instead?) and I don't want all the praise that other writers have heaped upon this book, this author, or some other book by this author. Tell me what I'm getting - I think of this like the ingredient label on some food. The marketing stuff and nutrition info is great, but if I don't know the ingredients, I'm not buying.

You can include all that other stuff if you want, but give me at least one paragraph about what this book is actually about!

Yes! This is a huge peeve and has caused me to not buy books in the past because I'm not shelling out money on something I have no clue on what I'm buying.

rose red

« Reply #3647 on: October 13, 2017, 08:08:21 PM »

I also posted about this peeve way back. Thanks for reminding me of my number 1 peeve. This and no quotation marks when a character is speaking. Both still drives me insane.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
« Reply #3648 on: October 15, 2017, 01:06:34 PM »

Agreed! Yes, I can go to Amazon and look up a summary, but when I've got the book actually in my hands, I want to see what it's about now, not when I can get internet access.
If wisdomís ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

Dawse

« Reply #3649 on: October 15, 2017, 03:21:32 PM »
Not really a pet peeve, more of a difference in taste:

I started reading a short story in an online magazine this morning. It opened quite well, looked like it was going to be a short thriller - and then suddenly you're in post-apocalyptic London. I stopped reading right then, because I personally can't stand apocalypse fiction. And I was not sufficiently invested in the character or storyline to wade through stuff I don't like, to find out what happened.   :-[

Anyone else ever do this? Start reading something and then discover that it's just Not What You Expected? It would be like starting to read a romance and turning a page to discover it's the journal of Hannibal Lecter - or vice versa.

Mine is when you start reading and suddenly people have either supernatural or psychic powers.  Not my thing at all. Iím not a fantasy person either.

I've read a couple if books that turn out to be much more graphic than I expected from the blurb. 'Jack Glass' is one that springs to mind; it's pitched as a sort of sci-fi murder mystery chasing 'notorious criminal' Jack across half a galaxy, and it's very good and quite gripping, but I got to about fifty pages in and suddenly it was graphically described s£x and bloody violence, which was a massive shock. I reread the summary very carefully and nowhere did it even hint at the level of graphic detail in the book. I did finish it because I really wanted to know what happened by then, but it did significantly put me off and I think I'd be very wary of anything by the same author now.
'A troth, by the way, is a small furry creature with fins, the offspring of a trout and a sloth. I often wonder what they saw in each other, but then I suppose the sloth, being upside down, would tend to have a different slant on things.'

Maude

« Reply #3650 on: October 24, 2017, 02:49:14 AM »
When a character ( in 1958, 1959 ) decides to run for president.

The story can only go downhill from there.

GreenHall

« Reply #3651 on: October 24, 2017, 11:30:29 AM »
When I find a string hanging off the world building and can't keep myself from picking at it.
(Love the stories, fine with them, just realize every now and then the world building is... lacking?)

Harriet Jones

• Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #3652 on: October 24, 2017, 02:45:47 PM »

Admittedly, I'm not the best history student, but is there some context I'm missing?  I don't understand why this would be a problem.

Luci

« Reply #3653 on: October 24, 2017, 04:58:10 PM »

Admittedly, I'm not the best history student, but is there some context I'm missing?  I don't understand why this would be a problem.

Iím wondering, too.

Elisabunny

« Reply #3654 on: October 24, 2017, 07:30:10 PM »

Iím wondering, too.

Maybe that they are not presidential election years?
You must remember this: a ghoti is still a fish...

Luci

« Reply #3655 on: October 24, 2017, 08:24:07 PM »

Iím wondering, too.

Maybe that they are not presidential election years?

But they start campaigning the year or two before, getting ready for the primaries. 1960 was the year that JFK won.

Maude

« Reply #3656 on: October 25, 2017, 02:22:59 AM »
Sorry, folks!  Didn't mean to be obtuse. Yes, in the book I'm currently reading the charismatic character is being encouraged to run for president, but also being warned about "that young Kennedy fellow".

athersgeo

• No one told you when to run
« Reply #3657 on: October 25, 2017, 02:40:31 AM »
Sorry, folks!  Didn't mean to be obtuse. Yes, in the book I'm currently reading the charismatic character is being encouraged to run for president, but also being warned about "that young Kennedy fellow".

Still...not actually seeing the issue because there was a presidential election in that time period and Kennedy ran (and won) - unless what you're complaining about is that the character is (by definition) not one of the documented presidential candidates. Or are you saying that presidential campaigns were shorter in the late 50s/early 60s and therefore having someone be encouraged in 58 for an election in 60 is unrealistic?

Twik

« Reply #3658 on: October 26, 2017, 09:44:47 AM »
I presume it's an example of a common problem in historical fiction, where the reader knows that a certain person did *not* run for president, and therefore is jolted out of that reality.

Sort of like "historicals" that occasionally try to slip in additional kings or queens of England. Nope, there's a well-known list, and your "Richard IV" isn't one of them.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Luci

« Reply #3659 on: October 26, 2017, 12:46:16 PM »

Still...not actually seeing the issue because there was a presidential election in that time period and Kennedy ran (and won) - unless what you're complaining about is that the character is (by definition) not one of the documented presidential candidates. Or are you saying that presidential campaigns were shorter in the late 50s/early 60s and therefore having someone be encouraged in 58 for an election in 60 is unrealistic?