News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• December 14, 2017, 07:11:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Reading/Book Pet Peeves  (Read 926529 times)

goldilocks

Re: Reading/Book Pet Peeves
« Reply #3720 on: November 13, 2017, 02:00:25 PM »
It does sound dreadful, but people do react to grief in different ways. Sex can be very comforting.

And if her mother was anything like mine - sitting on a toilet seat was much worse than being kidnapped!

rose red

« Reply #3721 on: November 13, 2017, 02:08:34 PM »
I've been going through all my books, weeding out the ones I am going to donate to Salvation Army.  I ran across a paperback that I think I bought secondhand (obviously worn, but I have no memory of it at all).  I used to buy a stack of books at a secondhand place, and I think this one got shoved into a bookcase and forgotten.

But, great!  New (to me) book!

Not great.  The book was awful.  My sister asked why I insisted on reading the whole stupid thing.  Because I was determined to show this book that I was stronger than it was.  Came close to spraining my eyes from rolling them around so much but I finished it.

I used to *have* to finish a book too, but now my time is too precious to waste on bad books. I may skip to the end to find out what happened, but I'm the opposite of you; I feel the book "wins" if I stick with it like an abusive relationship :P. Dump that book and show it whose boss! ;D

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
« Reply #3722 on: November 13, 2017, 02:26:00 PM »
I've been going through all my books, weeding out the ones I am going to donate to Salvation Army.  I ran across a paperback that I think I bought secondhand (obviously worn, but I have no memory of it at all).  I used to buy a stack of books at a secondhand place, and I think this one got shoved into a bookcase and forgotten.

But, great!  New (to me) book!

Not great.  The book was awful.  My sister asked why I insisted on reading the whole stupid thing.  Because I was determined to show this book that I was stronger than it was.  Came close to spraining my eyes from rolling them around so much but I finished it.

You're right!  I also ran across a copy of "The Falcon and the Snowman," which I am certain I have never read.  (It was one of those 'I really should read this' kind of things).  I'm pretty certain I never read it because it just looked like a slog.  So this time, I picked it up, thinking, "This time I will read it!"  But then the photos in the book looked like drudgery, and I realized I had punished myself with one book, and that is enough.  Both books are on their way to Salvation Army.

I used to *have* to finish a book too, but now my time is too precious to waste on bad books. I may skip to the end to find out what happened, but I'm the opposite of you; I feel the book "wins" if I stick with it like an abusive relationship :P. Dump that book and show it whose boss! ;D
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

Elisabunny

« Reply #3723 on: November 13, 2017, 05:35:52 PM »
Several times, a book specifically mentions that a foundling has two teeth.  However, said foundling is also learning to talk.  I don't think these two things go together...
You must remember this: a ghoti is still a fish...

becktheriddler

« Reply #3724 on: November 14, 2017, 03:47:15 PM »
I remember in high school our French teacher announced we were going to read Le Petit Prince. Cue groans all around "We read it in junior high, it stinks!" "Read it in French" was her reply.

It was a revelation. All but one of us loved the story. The one? She insisted on using the English translation to assist in reading it.
By Grabthar's Hammer...what a savings!

Twik

« Reply #3725 on: November 15, 2017, 11:19:41 AM »
I remember in high school our French teacher announced we were going to read Le Petit Prince. Cue groans all around "We read it in junior high, it stinks!" "Read it in French" was her reply.

It was a revelation. All but one of us loved the story. The one? She insisted on using the English translation to assist in reading it.

Odd, I had no problem loving it in English translation. Possibly it was a different one. Some translators get poetry, others don't.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."