A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Time For a Coffee Break!

Reading/Book Pet Peeves

<< < (90/453) > >>

Kimblee:

--- Quote from: magicdomino on January 28, 2013, 05:16:21 PM ---
--- Quote from: Kaypeep on January 28, 2013, 04:49:49 PM ---Contemporary Romances:  Every female, no matter what her career (VP, baker, truck driver) appears to be wearing a silk shirt, skirt and high heels. I once asked my friends (who are VP's, tv camera crew people, SAHM, accountants )and none of them own a silk shirt.    ENOUGH WITH THE SILK SHIRTS!  Also, every bra is a "scrap of lace" and unhooks in the front.  I swear, too many books lose my interest because they are like mad libs with the same scenes over and over.

--- End quote ---

*scratches head*  I used to have silk shirts.  I don't think I have any now because the only ones that could handle machine washing weren't very silky, and the handwash and drycleaning ones just weren't getting cleaned.  Annoying things.

--- End quote ---

I have a silk shirt. Its very pretty. And more or less transparent, hard to have cleaned (I sympathize magicdomino) and goes with absolutely nothing in my more or less redneck hermit wardrobe.

I'd throw it away but its SOOOOO expensive (as the relitive who gave to me keeps reminding me.) It may become a purse someday.

Lynn2000:

--- Quote from: Kimblee on February 24, 2013, 11:01:17 PM ---
--- Quote from: alkira6 on January 28, 2013, 01:58:54 PM ---Okay, fanfiction -

I understand that it's fanfiction and that you are playing in an established world that has its own rules and canon, but please, please, please, label an AU as an AU.  I cannot begin to elaborate on how stabby it makes me to read a story and get into it and 2/3 of the way through the character just busts out with something off the wall - like wings.

Sherlock Holmes does not have a uterus and therefor cannot be pregnant with Watson's lovechild.

John Watson is not an incubus.

They do not live in a spaceship called the Baker Street.

All of this is fine and could be quite entertaining if I know that it is an AU from the begining!

--- End quote ---

You... You.... Just broke my brain.

oww.

--- End quote ---

1) I really want to read that fanfic.

2) As an author I do sometimes wonder how much to "spoil" a story with warnings. I mean, you can stamp the label "AU" on it, but really, all fanfic is AU, so that could mean anything from... the characters have a realistic adventure that they never have in canon, to Sherlock being a pirate captain while John is a merman crew member. And if a big part of your story is that, SHAZAM, halfway through magic comes into it, suddenly explaining all the weird things that were happening before, it can be tough to decide if you want to put that in the tags/summary/etc. or risk people being irritated when they finally see where you're going.

Thinking about the way I read stuff (fanfic and books), I would probably rather know a few more details even at the risk of spoiling things, I guess. On the other hand my mom, who normally doesn't go in for fantasy/supernatural stuff, has been sucked into a couple of books without realizing they were going to turn genre on her, and she kept reading anyway and really enjoyed them. (Of course examples escape my memory at the moment.) She wouldn't have picked them up at all if she'd known where they were going, because she would say she's "not into that."

Kariachi:

--- Quote from: Lynn2000 on February 25, 2013, 05:30:20 PM ---

I understand that it's fanfiction and that you are playing in an established world that has its own rules and canon, but please, please, please, label an AU as an AU.  I cannot begin to elaborate on how stabby it makes me to read a story and get into it and 2/3 of the way through the character just busts out with something off the wall - like wings.

Sherlock Holmes does not have a uterus and therefor cannot be pregnant with Watson's lovechild.

All of this is fine and could be quite entertaining if I know that it is an AU from the begining!

--- End quote ---

oww.

--- End quote ---

2) As an author I do sometimes wonder how much to "spoil" a story with warnings. I mean, you can stamp the label "AU" on it, but really, all fanfic is AU, so that could mean anything from... the characters have a realistic adventure that they never have in canon, to Sherlock being a pirate captain while John is a merman crew member. And if a big part of your story is that, SHAZAM, halfway through magic comes into it, suddenly explaining all the weird things that were happening before, it can be tough to decide if you want to put that in the tags/summary/etc. or risk people being irritated when they finally see where you're going.

Thinking about the way I read stuff (fanfic and books), I would probably rather know a few more details even at the risk of spoiling things, I guess. On the other hand my mom, who normally doesn't go in for fantasy/supernatural stuff, has been sucked into a couple of books without realizing they were going to turn genre on her, and she kept reading anyway and really enjoyed them. (Of course examples escape my memory at the moment.) She wouldn't have picked them up at all if she'd known where they were going, because she would say she's "not into that."

--- End quote ---

That's why I like what I've seen some people do, which is specify a 'type' of AU. So, for example, the fic alkira6 mentioned would be labeled as, say, SciFi-AU or SciFiFan-AU.

alkira6:

--- Quote from: Kariachi on February 26, 2013, 10:59:41 AM ---
--- Quote from: Lynn2000 on February 25, 2013, 05:30:20 PM ---

--- End quote ---

oww.

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

That's why I like what I've seen some people do, which is specify a 'type' of AU. So, for example, the fic alkira6 mentioned would be labeled as, say, SciFi-AU or SciFiFan-AU.

--- End quote ---

For those who were curious, this is not one fanfic, just things that came out of nowhere in several that I've begun reading.  The wing one was weird but good.

Winterlight:

--- Quote from: Reika on February 17, 2013, 10:13:54 PM ---I may have missed this, and it often occurs in books that are in the first person POV, but the heavy handedness with foreshadowing drives me insane. Or even worse, "If only I'd realized what" x thing meant, killing a future plot point.

--- End quote ---

I read a bio that kept doing this and it drove me bazoo. We all know it ends badly- the Russian Revolution was involved! Stop telling us in every chapter!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version