A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Time For a Coffee Break!

Reading/Book Pet Peeves

<< < (119/461) > >>

Lynn2000:
After doing some reading this weekend I came up with two.

1) Fiction. Really interesting story that was told from a child's point of view, but with serious things going on around her. At many points it was cute and clever. However, there were some important things that I felt like I was supposed to understand--like who the kid's biological parents were, what happened to the villain at the end, etc.--but didn't, because the kid could only convey what she heard and saw, and the adults tended to ping looks at each other in an attempt to be discreet. Great for the kid, not so much the reader. I'm not very good at reading between the lines.

2) Non-fiction. I was reading a book that relied heavily on illustrations. And the illustrations were not located next to the text that discussed them. This bothers me in a lot of books. These were black-and-white drawings that were embedded in the text, and they all seemed to be at least two pages away from the text describing them--like I'm reading the text and have to constantly turn a page, or two, forward to the figure, then back to the text. They always seem to be after the text describing them. I'd much rather have them before. Like, "Here's the figure. Now let me describe what you should notice in it." But most non-fiction books I read seem to be more like, "Here's a text description of an abstract phenomenon. Got it? Okay, now here's a picture of what you should have been imagining from the text."

MonteCristo:
Advertisements: The trilogy I just finished reading was rather enjoyable (Rho Agenda) but in the second and especially the third book, the author started using brand names a lot, and in really weird ways.  For instance, a female agent always refered to her handgun as a Heckler and Koch.  I'm actually kind of into guns, and I've only ever heard people say HK.  Another time while two guys are fighting they mentioned that one guys stomps on the other guys face with his "redwing" boots.  And every single time someone boots up a computer they mention the windows logon screen.  It started getting a bit ridiculous.

Diane AKA Traska:

--- Quote from: MonteCristo on March 26, 2013, 11:55:16 AM ---Advertisements: The trilogy I just finished reading was rather enjoyable (Rho Agenda) but in the second and especially the third book, the author started using brand names a lot, and in really weird ways.  For instance, a female agent always refered to her handgun as a Heckler and Koch.  I'm actually kind of into guns, and I've only ever heard people say HK.  Another time while two guys are fighting they mentioned that one guys stomps on the other guys face with his "redwing" boots.  And every single time someone boots up a computer they mention the windows logon screen.  It started getting a bit ridiculous.

--- End quote ---

I'll admit, even I'm guilty of referring to the booting up as showing the Windows screen.  But yeah, the others are annoying.

Mental Magpie:

--- Quote from: Diane AKA Traska on March 26, 2013, 02:40:40 PM ---
--- Quote from: MonteCristo on March 26, 2013, 11:55:16 AM ---Advertisements: The trilogy I just finished reading was rather enjoyable (Rho Agenda) but in the second and especially the third book, the author started using brand names a lot, and in really weird ways.  For instance, a female agent always refered to her handgun as a Heckler and Koch.  I'm actually kind of into guns, and I've only ever heard people say HK.  Another time while two guys are fighting they mentioned that one guys stomps on the other guys face with his "redwing" boots.  And every single time someone boots up a computer they mention the windows logon screen.  It started getting a bit ridiculous.

--- End quote ---

I'll admit, even I'm guilty of referring to the booting up as showing the Windows screen.  But yeah, the others are annoying.

--- End quote ---

Once or twice wouldn't bother me, but continuously makes it seem like a deliberate product placement ad and would be way too overboard.

stitchygreyanonymouse:

--- Quote from: Mental Magpie on March 26, 2013, 06:36:07 PM ---
--- Quote from: Diane AKA Traska on March 26, 2013, 02:40:40 PM ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

Once or twice wouldn't bother me, but continuously makes it seem like a deliberate product placement ad and would be way too overboard.

--- End quote ---

I hate the product placement as well. Worse was the first book in a series that kept referring to the protagonistís phone, clearly intending for it to be iPhone-esque, but calling it an X-Phone or something. I think the author dropped some Ferragamo and other expensive brand names in as well. I didnít continue the series, though.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version