Author Topic: Reading/Book Pet Peeves  (Read 260915 times)

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
Re: Reading/Book Pet Peeves
« Reply #630 on: April 10, 2013, 11:46:57 AM »
This has nothing to do with the content of the book, but dust jackets. I hate dust jackets. So much I hate them.

I bought a roll of paper-backed mylar from a library supply site, and cover the dust jackets of books I want to keep or those I give as presents. 

I hate books wrapped in mylar :( It's the worst thing about buying second hand books. I always remove it the minute those books enter my house. Please make sure your friends actually like it before you give them a mylar-covered book as a present. I'd be removing the mylar as soon as you left the house.

I'm curious - what do you dislike about it?
Using a chainsaw is as close as we come to having a lightsaber in this life.

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #631 on: April 10, 2013, 12:36:52 PM »
This has nothing to do with the content of the book, but dust jackets. I hate dust jackets. So much I hate them.

I bought a roll of paper-backed mylar from a library supply site, and cover the dust jackets of books I want to keep or those I give as presents. 

I hate books wrapped in mylar :( It's the worst thing about buying second hand books. I always remove it the minute those books enter my house. Please make sure your friends actually like it before you give them a mylar-covered book as a present. I'd be removing the mylar as soon as you left the house.

Mostly I just really, really, really don't like the way it looks. Guess I prefer my books au natural ;)

I don't mind dust jackets - they're handy for keeping my place ;) - but mylar covered dust jackets? Just plain ugly! :(

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

BabyMama

• Jamberry Nail Wraps
« Reply #632 on: April 10, 2013, 12:52:37 PM »
I'm re-reading A Song of Ice and Fire for the gazillionth time today and it made me think of this thread (someone mentioned George RR Martin's discovery of "tummy" bugged them.) Wait until he discovers "wroth" and "nuncle." People in A Dance With Dragons are wroth over everything. :P
Ask me about Jamberry Nail Wraps!

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #633 on: April 10, 2013, 01:04:26 PM »

Mostly I just really, really, really don't like the way it looks. Guess I prefer my books au natural ;)

I don't mind dust jackets - they're handy for keeping my place ;) - but mylar covered dust jackets? Just plain ugly! :(

Not so much ugly as... tacky.  Like they're perpetually shrink wrapped.

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #634 on: April 10, 2013, 01:12:07 PM »

Hunh.  Never thought of that. I think it makes them look fancier and more professional, because it gives it more heft. I also like not having to worry about tearing the jacket, espeically on oversized books.
Using a chainsaw is as close as we come to having a lightsaber in this life.

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #635 on: April 10, 2013, 01:18:14 PM »

Hunh.  Never thought of that. I think it makes them look fancier and more professional, because it gives it more heft. I also like not having to worry about tearing the jacket, espeically on oversized books.

Agreed, Diane, although in my case it's tacky as well as ugly.

Ms_Cellany, had you only said you wrapped your own books I probably wouldn't have thought to comment. I just think it's a shame to do it for presents. Worst case (if I couldn't get the mylar off without damaging the book) I'd end up donating it (if I discovered in time) or throwing it out (if I didn't). I definitely don't think it makes them look neither fancier nor more professional. Exactly the opposite in fact. In my head they look like left-overs from a school library.

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #636 on: April 10, 2013, 01:30:03 PM »

Agreed, Diane, although in my case it's tacky as well as ugly.

Ms_Cellany, had you only said you wrapped your own books I probably wouldn't have thought to comment. I just think it's a shame to do it for presents. Worst case (if I couldn't get the mylar off without damaging the book) I'd end up donating it (if I discovered in time) or throwing it out (if I didn't). I definitely don't think it makes them look neither fancier nor more professional. Exactly the opposite in fact. In my head they look like left-overs from a school library.

YES!  I'd been trying to figure out where I'd seen them most often, and that's it exactly!

MerryCat

« Reply #637 on: April 10, 2013, 01:55:37 PM »
Not a full on Peeve, exactly, but a little annoyance :)

You know how some short story anthologies (Sword and Sorceress, etc) sometimes have authors that regularly write the continuing adventures of the same characters for them? For most part I do enjoy that, because the characters are like familiar friends you're catching up on.

But it can become rather annoying if the stories can't stand stand alone without continual reference to what happened in previous books. Because sometimes you come back to an anthology after a long break, or you can't find all the books in order, or you've just decided to pick up the latest book in an anthology series you haven't read before.

I think short stories should be self-contained little bite-sized chunks of narrative that you can finish quickly over a coffee break or a ten minute bus ride. They can be about characters you already know, but each story should be complete on its own. If you have to have read the previous stories for this one to make sense, or if the author has to basically recap the previous stories at the start of each new one, then perhaps the author should consider just stitching them together and making a novel out of them.

Done right, I love these sorts of stories. I'm just a little annoyed right now because I bought a new book from a series I haven't read before and three out of three stories so far have either assumed that you've read the earlier parts of the story or had detailed recaps and/or exposition on what had happened previously.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #638 on: April 10, 2013, 02:08:10 PM »
When books of a series aren't clearly stated that it's some kind of off-shoot or spinoff.  I read James Patterson's Maximum Ride books and just got confused as all get out. 

In one book she and the other genetically engineered kids are fighting against some lab or school (been a while since I've read them)

In another they meet up with Max's mom, stay a while with her, Max and another boy Fang end up getting it on, she has babies and then they hatch and it is never ever mentioned again.  Never hear about the babies at all, like they never existed.  A big lipped alligator moment.

DH says "But that was just a side plot/spinoff!"

I used to like his style of writing but I think these days he's using kids as ghostwriters and not even bothering to edit their work.  I read Witches and Wizards at the suggestion of a former friend.  He swore it was the best book ever.   

I pushed to the end as I'm one of those "I hope there's a good payoff" kinds but I didn't like it at all. 
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Amanita

• San Francisco I miss you!
« Reply #639 on: April 10, 2013, 02:50:38 PM »
Yeah, Witch and Wizard was just so farfetched- I'm sorry, but I can't suspend my disbelief that much.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #640 on: April 10, 2013, 03:53:31 PM »
Funny/sad thing is that the guy who recommended it to me had aspirations of being a screenwriter.  If he thought that was great writing and a good story, I must remember to not see any movies where he's the screenwriter.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #641 on: April 10, 2013, 04:01:17 PM »
I find it irritating when a book jacket doesn't make it clear which order the books in a series should be read, when there is, in fact, an order. Some authors put nice, clear numbers on the spines of the books; others make you hunt for the phrase "the thrilling third book in the series!" on the back; and still others say nothing at all about the order, but you get the feeling there was an earlier book, so you have to go online or something and look it up. My friend ended up reading the second "Shiver" book first because she couldn't tell from looking at it that it wasn't the first. I mean, yeah, not the worst thing in the world of course, but it just seems unnecessarily user-unfriendly. If it's a book series I know nothing about, I'm not usually willing to do that much work to figure out where to start.
~Lynn2000

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #642 on: April 10, 2013, 04:09:55 PM »
Funny/sad thing is that the guy who recommended it to me had aspirations of being a screenwriter.  If he thought that was great writing and a good story, I must remember to not see any movies where he's the screenwriter.

Cynical Twik thinks he'll probably be a big hit in Hollywood.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Spring Water on Sundays

• We will never rest, fighting the battle of who could care less.
« Reply #643 on: April 10, 2013, 04:34:50 PM »
I find it irritating when a book jacket doesn't make it clear which order the books in a series should be read, when there is, in fact, an order. Some authors put nice, clear numbers on the spines of the books; others make you hunt for the phrase "the thrilling third book in the series!" on the back; and still others say nothing at all about the order, but you get the feeling there was an earlier book, so you have to go online or something and look it up. My friend ended up reading the second "Shiver" book first because she couldn't tell from looking at it that it wasn't the first. I mean, yeah, not the worst thing in the world of course, but it just seems unnecessarily user-unfriendly. If it's a book series I know nothing about, I'm not usually willing to do that much work to figure out where to start.

That's one of the reasons I love goodreads.com so much. It makes it really easy to see all the books in a series and their order. :)

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #644 on: April 10, 2013, 04:37:53 PM »

Cynical Twik thinks he'll probably be a big hit in Hollywood.

Knowing the ideas he had, he'd get along well with Michael Bay.