Author Topic: Reading/Book Pet Peeves  (Read 216524 times)

cabbageweevil

Re: Reading/Book Pet Peeves
« Reply #690 on: April 14, 2013, 03:08:00 AM »
Well, there would have been enough time by mid-1600s to get potatoes and pumpkins to Britain.

Apparently, the French were cooking pumpkin pies by that time: http://whatscookingamerica.net/History/PieHistory/PumpkinPie.htm.

Far-fetched explaining-away mechanism working overtime: just perhaps, with the 1667 Christmas meal, the father of the family was a great enthusiast for, and promoter of, the colonising of North America; and decreed a "thematic" Christmas dinner accordingly? (That aside, we've established that the author dropped a clanger with the spinach.)
Happens to lots of authors who just aren't thinking through the details.  I think it was Jean Plaidy (who also writes as Victoria Holt) who mentioned William the Conqueror's favorite meal: potato soup.
Tolkien just about gets away with potatoes being a favourite culinary ingredient for Sam -- the action of the books is seen as an immeasurably long time ago, with the world as having changed much, since: one can thus "buy" the proposition of, back then, potatoes (and of course, tobacco) occurring naturally in the part of Middle-Earth that more or less corresponds to present-day Europe.  But, Will. the Conq. in "our universe" -- OW !

AfleetAlex

• Proud cat mom and Auntie
« Reply #691 on: April 14, 2013, 07:42:27 PM »
I have a publishing pet peeve from a book I just read in paperback. (I had not read the hardcover. This is pertinent.) The first few pages of the book include snippets of reviews and reader comments....in which it is revealed that one of the main characters dies. (Doesn't say which one, but still.)

So I was supposed to have read the hardcover to already know this?? Or not read the reviews - at the front of the book - until I had finished it?
I have a chronic case of foot-in-mouth disease.

gmatoy

« Reply #692 on: April 14, 2013, 11:23:53 PM »
Also farm/ranch children were often pulled out of school to help with seasonal work. 
Spotted Pony

Did school vacations take this into account? I know there were some places where schools were closed during harvest time.
In Washington state, this was still happening in the 1960s. My cousins lived in eastern Washington and school got out for apple harvesting.

Library Dragon

« Reply #693 on: April 15, 2013, 12:33:16 AM »
School doesn't close here during the cotton harvest, but the schools know that certain students will be working the harvest on the family farm.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #694 on: April 15, 2013, 08:36:11 AM »
School doesn't close here during the cotton harvest, but the schools know that certain students will be working the harvest on the family farm.

Students not present?  Now wait just a cotton pickin' minute...

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #695 on: April 15, 2013, 09:38:32 AM »
Happens to lots of authors who just aren't thinking through the details.  I think it was Jean Plaidy (who also writes as Victoria Holt) who mentioned William the Conqueror's favorite meal: potato soup.

Poor man. Terrible to have a favourite meal that you just never get.  :'(
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

snowflake

« Reply #696 on: April 15, 2013, 06:29:48 PM »
Can I go back and ask an ignorant question?

Where do you get mylar?  And are there websites where I can learn to reinforce books?  I have two little ones who absolutely love books to pieces right now.  I don't want to discourage the book love but they are still a little too young and hyper to remember to handle gently.  Some prevention might be useful.  The scotch tape is just not cutting it.

Giggity

• Super Hero!
« Reply #697 on: April 15, 2013, 07:36:02 PM »
In somewhat of the same vein, I once read a book where every time the writer wanted to describe something having to do with the heroine's small apartmentor anything else diminutive in size, it was described as tiny.  Tiny couch, tiny table, tiny this, tiny that.  Drove me nuts.   And she did it over and over.  The couch was always tiny.  Not just, "She sat on the couch.", but, "She sat on her tiny couch."

We refer to the smaller of two similar animals as Tiny. My BFF has two horses, a Percheron and a mini who looks like you shrank the Percheron, and they are called Sam and Tiny Sam. When Jack the cat across the street sired kittens, one of them looked exactly like him, so he is Tiny Jack.

I have no idea why I felt compelled to share this.
Words mean things.

Bethczar

« Reply #698 on: April 15, 2013, 08:37:34 PM »

Students not present?  Now wait just a cotton pickin' minute...
Good heavens, that's bad.  ;D

Library Dragon

« Reply #699 on: April 15, 2013, 09:47:24 PM »
 :o Ouch! That just hurts.

The book jacket discussion brings to mind one thing that makes me crazy.  When I open a brand new paperback and the pages start coming out.  I don't expect it to last for years, but one reading would be nice.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #700 on: April 15, 2013, 10:49:28 PM »

Where do you get mylar?  And are there websites where I can learn to reinforce books?  I have two little ones who absolutely love books to pieces right now.  I don't want to discourage the book love but they are still a little too young and hyper to remember to handle gently.  Some prevention might be useful.  The scotch tape is just not cutting it.

When I was working, I just bought it from the library when we ordered it. I didn't use it much because I don't think it is good for much except enclosing book jackets.

When I was in college, I covered all of my frequently used paperbacks and the ones my mom used when she was creating a course to teach with Clear Contac (shelf liner). It doesn't take much experience or imagination to figure out how to do it. That's what I used to cover the paperbacks in the media center where I was librarian, too.

You can buy 3M library tape from the office supply store. That's what I still use for spines and to reinforce where the covers of books meet the first page. I just used it the other day to repair our travel atlas that we use when we..........travel. We try to use them for about 3 years, and, wow! do they get worn! I also remember using it a lot to repair boxes of beloved games the kids used. It's better than packing tape by a long shot - sturdier and easier to handle.

andi

« Reply #701 on: April 15, 2013, 11:17:12 PM »
We use the clear shelf liner at my son's school. Works well as long as you remember to split the corners before folding (and the lines help  good fit)

Library Dragon

« Reply #702 on: April 15, 2013, 11:23:10 PM »
Clear packing tape does as well as book tape for books that you know aren't going to last long.  Paperbacks--cover the spine and the corners.  It does wonders. 

I used to laminate covers.  This works even better with a cold laminator. 

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #703 on: April 16, 2013, 10:59:40 AM »

Brodart is a good place to look for paper preservation supplies.  The firm offers Mylar, appropriate tape and instructions on how to do the work. The prices are reasonable but you may have to buy in bulk. 

Please, do not use Scotch tape.  That leaves a nasty residue. 

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #704 on: April 16, 2013, 11:37:37 AM »

When I was working, I just bought it from the library when we ordered it. I didn't use it much because I don't think it is good for much except enclosing book jackets.

When I was in college, I covered all of my frequently used paperbacks and the ones my mom used when she was creating a course to teach with Clear Contac (shelf liner). It doesn't take much experience or imagination to figure out how to do it. That's what I used to cover the paperbacks in the media center where I was librarian, too.

You can buy 3M library tape from the office supply store.

I get it from Demco: http://www.demco.com/goto?PNHM30&intcmp=CN_M30. Easy to use: cut it as long as the jacket, with about an inch extra. Slip the jacket in. Fold the mylar over to the top. Use three pieces of tape to fasten mylar to paper backing. Put jacket on book.
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult); Zuul (F); Magpie (M); Balrog (M); Nazgul (F)