A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Time For a Coffee Break!

Reading/Book Pet Peeves

<< < (150/396) > >>

Lynn2000:
I always wondered about the "Bookname: A Novel" thing as well. It kind of assumes most books are non-fiction, doesn't it, so when one IS fiction, it's helpful to specify. Except I kind of feel like the majority of books most people encounter ARE novels, so it just seems redundant, and often pretentious, to mention it on the cover. Like "Bookname: My Novel That I Finally Wrote, Ha Ha Mom, I Told You I'd Finish It."

Of course, if it doesn't say "a novel" in the title, and even by looking at the book/reading the description of it, I still can't tell whether it's fiction or not--that's yet another peeve.

Twik:
I always figure that "X - a Novel" indicates that first there was "X - The Movie".

Thipu1:
I read several articles recently that said modern teens have no patience with 'Catcher in the Rye'. 

When I was a teen, this was THE novel of our generation.   I recently started reading it again. 

The modern teens are right.  Holden Caulfield is the sort of person you want to hit upside the head with a large salmon.   

carol1412:

--- Quote from: Thipu1 on April 24, 2013, 03:16:09 PM ---I read several articles recently that said modern teens have no patience with 'Catcher in the Rye'. 

When I was a teen, this was THE novel of our generation.   I recently started reading it again. 

The modern teens are right.  Holden Caulfield is the sort of person you want to hit upside the head with a large salmon.   

--- End quote ---

And that's how the fish-slapping dance begins...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCwLirQS2-o

rose red:
This issue has been raised before.  I went to the library today and saw a book with an interesting description on the back cover.  Flipped through it, noticed there were no quotation marks, and put it right back on the shelf.  No thanks.  It's not creative, it's just annoying and pretentious.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version