Author Topic: Reading/Book Pet Peeves  (Read 230553 times)

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
Re: Reading/Book Pet Peeves
« Reply #885 on: May 07, 2013, 07:52:05 PM »
I think I mentioned Witch and Wizard in this thread before. That was godawful and the guy who loaned it to me swore it was the best book he'd read, but he also said that about Eragon which was one of the few books I've started and not finished.

This guy was convinced he'd write a screenplay that would get approved for a movie and he'd get Johnny Depp and Nicholas Cage to costar in.  Yeah, I'll believe that when I see it.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

PeterM

« Reply #886 on: May 08, 2013, 01:31:59 AM »
I'm convinced Patterson has a squad of writers in his basement churning out books. 

My understanding is that's basically the exact truth. I believe he's said he has a team of writers that he works with to come up with ideas. Then one of the lesser writers comes up with a first draft, and Patterson writes the final draft. I don't believe he's that involved, personally, but I don't read his stuff so my opinion doesn't count for much.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #887 on: May 08, 2013, 01:48:54 AM »
The author of the Sookie Stackhouse books, Charlaine Harris, says she is done with Sookie and wants to go on with other things, but her fans are clamboring for more. (I don't remember where I read that in the past couple of days. I think I was just exploring one of the links from here, like the rest of a newspaper that had an article in it. I tend to get easily distracted.)

Because of your opinion of James Patterson, I'm inclined to think her fans should let Sookie retire for fear of future disappointment.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 09:45:24 AM by Luci45 »

stitchygreyanonymouse

« Reply #888 on: May 08, 2013, 09:28:40 AM »
I agree, Luci. She got bored with one of her other characters (Harper Connelly), and the final book was more of a "I'm so tired of writing this character, but I know I have to wrap things up, so here. Bookís done, Iím done."

Sookieís been heading that way too, although I havenít read the last book yet.

Redsoil

« Reply #889 on: May 08, 2013, 09:34:15 AM »
I've just downloaded the last book in the Sookie series, and will read tonight.  However, the reviews on Amazon were mostly bad ones.
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!

Spring Water on Sundays

• We will never rest, fighting the battle of who could care less.
« Reply #890 on: May 08, 2013, 09:45:56 AM »
The 2 most recent Sookie books (not counting the one that just came out) have been boring as can be and way too heavy on the foreshadowing. I don't need to read the last book to know who Sookie ends up with. I hope the author sticks with her plan and wraps things up neatly in this most recent book instead of giving in to her fans and continuing the series.

Last_Dance

« Reply #891 on: May 08, 2013, 10:05:51 AM »
I'm convinced Patterson has a squad of writers in his basement churning out books. 

My understanding is that's basically the exact truth. I believe he's said he has a team of writers that he works with to come up with ideas. Then one of the lesser writers comes up with a first draft, and Patterson writes the final draft. I don't believe he's that involved, personally, but I don't read his stuff so my opinion doesn't count for much.

:o :o :o but...but...it's not fun that way!

Note to self: avoid this "author"
We're fools whether we dance or not, so we might as well dance.

Calistoga

« Reply #892 on: May 08, 2013, 01:20:34 PM »
It's been so long since I encountered this one that I forgot it bothered me until 2 days ago.

Page lickers.

I hate it when people lick their fingers to turn pages...especially when it's in MY book.

stargazer

• Super Hero!
« Reply #893 on: May 08, 2013, 01:37:10 PM »

I totally believe it, but it's very disappointing because his earlier stuff was good.  And at least for the Alex Cross series, he should really be the only one writing that.  Maybe that's why Cross Country was so horrendous.  (Look, when your main character finds a picture of himself in the bedroom of his girlfriend of 20 YEARS ago who's just been murdered - who, by the way, has her own husband and family now and hasn't talked to or seen him in 20 years - I should have known it would just get worse.  The rest of the book made about as much sense as that.)

magicdomino

« Reply #894 on: May 08, 2013, 02:27:55 PM »
I have heard that Mercedes Lackey latest books are a little lackluster because she is thoroughly tired of Valdemar, and less than inspired with the Elementals series.  She continues to write them only because her fans demand them.  The Hundred Kingdoms series just doesn't sell as well. 

I've noticed that more and more she is working with other writers.  That seems to be a bad sign with a popular writer.

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #895 on: May 08, 2013, 03:10:37 PM »
I loved the first 500 Kingdom book, The Fairy Godmother. As a matter of fact, I just reread it yesterday. But I thought the second one very weak and I kind of gave up on the series.

Layla Miller

• I know stuff.
« Reply #896 on: May 08, 2013, 03:38:23 PM »
I agree, Luci. She got bored with one of her other characters (Harper Connelly), and the final book was more of a "I'm so tired of writing this character, but I know I have to wrap things up, so here. Bookís done, Iím done."

Sookieís been heading that way too, although I havenít read the last book yet.

IIRC, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle went through that with Sherlock Holmes.  "There, that's the last story."  "Okay, that was the last story."  "Look, this time I mean it.  Last one.  Stop pestering me."  "He's dead now, okay?  Now it has to be over."  "Sigh.  Fine.  He didn't die."  :)
I searched for nothing on the Internet and got 175,000,000 hits.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #897 on: May 08, 2013, 03:45:54 PM »

Yes. Why would you want to be an author if you don't actually do more than edit someone else's work?

This is not writing, this is an industrial production line.

My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Betelnut

« Reply #898 on: May 08, 2013, 04:27:04 PM »

Yes. Why would you want to be an author if you don't actually do more than edit someone else's work?

This is not writing, this is an industrial production line.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Native Texan, Marylander currently

Library Dragon

« Reply #899 on: May 08, 2013, 07:01:24 PM »
The 2 most recent Sookie books (not counting the one that just came out) have been boring as can be and way too heavy on the foreshadowing. I don't need to read the last book to know who Sookie ends up with. I hope the author sticks with her plan and wraps things up neatly in this most recent book instead of giving in to her fans and continuing the series.

Yes, Sookie needs to hang up her bartending apron and appear in no more books.  The one smart move Harris made was to treat the books as totally different than True Blood.  (I've also given up on that TV series.)  They exist in parallel universes. 

Bragging moment...

I had read in Entertainment Weekly about True Blood set to be on HBO.  That summer I had scheduled Charlaine Harris as our adult community read.  With Harris' different types of series there was something for everyone.  Months later True Blood is a hit.  I was seen as the most brilliant librarian ever by the patrons.  Nah, just did my research.  EW is one of my favorite collection development tools.  8)

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter