Author Topic: Reading/Book Pet Peeves  (Read 239527 times)

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
Re: Reading/Book Pet Peeves
« Reply #405 on: February 14, 2013, 04:17:39 PM »
Simple mistakes that should have been caught at proofreading stage. That. Drives. Me. Mad.

Absolutely!

I finished a book while waiting on the mechanic today and read, "...and then he asked her to marry her."  Great scott, how did they miss that!  I hope he was asking her to marry HIM.

Like the book I reviewed an ARC of where somebody was given a "three carrot ring", and another person "whispered vial threats with the veracity of a tiger".

*Sigh*

Well, in defense of the very last bit, I don't believe I've ever been lied to by a tiger.  So there's that.  ;)

Tigers are famous for their integrity and forthright nature, becoming known in many circles as the "George Washington of the Felidae family".

This has just cracked me up. DH wondered what was wrong with me!!
Knowledge is knowing tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #406 on: February 14, 2013, 04:20:04 PM »
Regarding series books... I've gotten to the point where I usually don't even start reading a book until the whole series, or at least multiple volumes, have been published. I just can't retain the information about the plot and characters that long.

I like to wait for TV shows to be canceled before I start watching them, too... I guess that's getting kind of weird, though, to be hoping for a show's demise so I can start watching it! :)
~Lynn2000

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #407 on: February 14, 2013, 05:29:07 PM »
For the tv shows I sometimes tivo an entire season and then watch it all over a long weekend... so not weird at all to me.

Shea

« Reply #408 on: February 15, 2013, 10:37:28 AM »
A pet peeve for me is some electronic book prices.  You want me to pay more for an electronic book than what I would pay if I went to the book store and bought the paperback?  I don't think so.

This is one of my pet peeves as well. I want this new thriller called Gone Girl. It looks really good. Everywhere I look the paperback is cheeper then the kindle. I didn't really want another paperback as my collection is getting quite big but I am not paying more for the kindle book.

Get the paperback, it's worth it. I couldn't tear myself away from that book. It was truly a black hole of good storytelling.

If a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, librarians are a global threat.

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #409 on: February 15, 2013, 11:38:50 AM »
A pet peeve for me is some electronic book prices.  You want me to pay more for an electronic book than what I would pay if I went to the book store and bought the paperback?  I don't think so.

This is one of my pet peeves as well. I want this new thriller called Gone Girl. It looks really good. Everywhere I look the paperback is cheeper then the kindle. I didn't really want another paperback as my collection is getting quite big but I am not paying more for the kindle book.

Get the paperback, it's worth it. I couldn't tear myself away from that book. It was truly a black hole of good storytelling.

I'm pretty sure I'm the only person who did not like that book. I loathed the characters so much I didn't even finish it because I just couldn't care about their lives.

clio917

« Reply #410 on: February 15, 2013, 12:01:47 PM »

I'm pretty sure I'm the only person who did not like that book. I loathed the characters so much I didn't even finish it because I just couldn't care about their lives.

Nope, not the only one. I couldn't finish it either. I recognized that it was very well written, but she was just too good at writing despicable characters that I just couldn't care how it ended up for them. I got about halfway through, then skipped to the last 15 pages to see how it ended. Made me hate the two characters even more.

Shea

« Reply #411 on: February 15, 2013, 01:33:24 PM »

Nope, not the only one. I couldn't finish it either. I recognized that it was very well written, but she was just too good at writing despicable characters that I just couldn't care how it ended up for them. I got about halfway through, then skipped to the last 15 pages to see how it ended. Made me hate the two characters even more.

I'm pretty sure you weren't supposed to like the characters. For me, it was the intricacy of the story that I thought was brilliant.

If a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, librarians are a global threat.

Baby Snakes

« Reply #412 on: February 15, 2013, 01:38:57 PM »

I really tried to read Gone Girl and only got about half way through.  Didn't like the characters at all.  Glad to know I'm not the only one!

Tabby Uprising

« Reply #413 on: February 15, 2013, 01:39:49 PM »

I thoroughly enjoyed Gone Girl, but I definitely understand your point.  (I put down Twilight after 50 pages because I hated Bella and didn't care what happened to her)  The writing is excellent and engaging in Gone Girl and I liked some of the perspective on "cool girls", but the characters aren't likeable. 

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #414 on: February 15, 2013, 02:37:00 PM »

I really tried to read Gone Girl and only got about half way through.  Didn't like the characters at all.  Glad to know I'm not the only one!
Yep, the Eight Deadly Words: I don't care what happens to these people!

I was in my 30's before I realized that if I wasn't enjoying a book, I didn't have to finish it! ;D   I could just take it back to the library and get something else.  And now with the Nook and samples, I don't feel compelled to buy those books and finish them, either. 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #415 on: February 16, 2013, 06:43:13 AM »
Simple mistakes that should have been caught at proofreading stage. That. Drives. Me. Mad.

Absolutely!

I finished a book while waiting on the mechanic today and read, "...and then he asked her to marry her."  Great scott, how did they miss that!  I hope he was asking her to marry HIM.

Like the book I reviewed an ARC of where somebody was given a "three carrot ring", and another person "whispered vial threats with the veracity of a tiger".

*Sigh*

"And I'll melt it into a glob of glass." he growled, tigerishly. 

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #416 on: February 16, 2013, 07:06:09 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D

Thanks guys, you're making me feel a lot better about having had to read that .... thing. Definitely the worst written book I've ever seen - even worse than 50 Shades ;)

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

Nikko-chan

« Reply #417 on: February 16, 2013, 07:57:26 AM »
Regarding series books... I've gotten to the point where I usually don't even start reading a book until the whole series, or at least multiple volumes, have been published. I just can't retain the information about the plot and characters that long.

I like to wait for TV shows to be canceled before I start watching them, too... I guess that's getting kind of weird, though, to be hoping for a show's demise so I can start watching it! :)

I'm the same way with TV shows. Sort of. I started watching Highlander: The Series in like 2008 or something and The Sentinel in like 2010... both shows had been on in the nineties.

Library Dragon

« Reply #418 on: February 17, 2013, 09:14:38 PM »
Thoughtlessly changing the names of minor characters makes me gnash, grind, and grimace.  I remember that the side-kick's wife's name is Heloise, why can't the author?  When J.T. Ellison visited our library after her first book was published I begged her not to do this.  She shared that she had binders for major and minor characters, recurring or not, so she won't make that mistake.  More authors should follow her lead.

I can remember that the protagonist is an alcoholic and don't need to be reminded in every chapter (The Strain). 

Looking for eBooks...  NetGalley is a good source.  Of course I have to plug public libraries.  We have a large eBook collection.  I don't know that status of collections outside the USA, but it's worth investigating.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #419 on: February 17, 2013, 09:57:42 PM »
This isn't so much books, but newspapers.

One article had somebody 'scowering' the internet for love scams. 

Another article a day later was reporting on a legal case involving wills.  So-n-so died intestate, but his will stated blah blah blah.

I despair of the standard of journalism sometimes.