Author Topic: Reading/Book Pet Peeves  (Read 223324 times)

Jocelyn

Re: Reading/Book Pet Peeves
« Reply #705 on: April 16, 2013, 08:43:52 PM »
School doesn't close here during the cotton harvest, but the schools know that certain students will be working the harvest on the family farm.
When I was in high school, my biology teacher taught hours 1-4, had 5th hour as a planning period, and taught Advanced Biology 6th hour. During harvest, he would prepare lessons for Adv. Bio, and would leave when he took his 4th hour class class to lunch. Another biology teacher would open the door between their classrooms, and would keep an eye out whether those of us in Adv. Bio were actually doing our assignments. ;)

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #706 on: April 16, 2013, 11:32:08 PM »
The only downside to a Kindle is that when a book makes you mad, you can't throw it without breaking it. 

I'm reading "A World Apart", third book of a trilogy about the Irish peasants revolt against the English rule in 1798. Fire on the Hill and A World Apart mostly follow the story of Michael Dwyer, his fellow rebels and the wives of those who did marry.

Now the book is very good, but the treatment of the prisoners in Kilmainham Gaol by a Dr. Trevor his deceit irritated me so much I just had to put my Kindle down and stop reading.  Vile, vile man. 
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Library Dragon

« Reply #707 on: April 16, 2013, 11:40:12 PM »
I understand.  I was listening to "Shipbreaker" by Paolo Baccigaluppi and when bad guy suddenly appeared I slapped the off knob so hard I thought I had broken it.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

StarDrifter

• I never tell people exactly how smart I am
« Reply #708 on: April 16, 2013, 11:48:23 PM »
This is the only bad thing about reading on the kindle/iPad.

Though it does give me a certain satisfaction, when I've downloaded something promising that turns into tripe/trash/idiocy halfway through, to push that little delete button and it's magically as if that horrid book was never on my device!
... it might frighten them.
Victoria,

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #709 on: April 16, 2013, 11:52:19 PM »
Nice thing about having a cover for it is that I can still get the satisfaction of slamming a book shut once I flip the switch.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

BabyMama

• Kim Chee Casserole
« Reply #710 on: April 17, 2013, 08:58:46 AM »
The one thing I miss about physical books is that I tend to forget the name of the book/name of the author, since the cover is always a thumbnail, so do the "uhh...uhhhh...." dance when people ask me who the author is.

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #711 on: April 17, 2013, 03:50:31 PM »
At some point in this thread, I am not quite sure where, someone mentioned back cover synopsis that seem to have been written by someone who never read the book. I just came across this one on our local version of Netflix (ok, not a book but too good to not share!):

Disney's The Princess and the Frog - In New Orleans, young princess Tiana looks for true love and must face the debutante Charlotte.

heartmug

« Reply #712 on: April 18, 2013, 11:50:53 AM »
This is the only bad thing about reading on the kindle/iPad.

Though it does give me a certain satisfaction, when I've downloaded something promising that turns into tripe/trash/idiocy halfway through, to push that little delete button and it's magically as if that horrid book was never on my device!

I don't own one, so that would be a benefit I could see. 
The trouble is not that the world is full of fools, it's just that lightening isn't distributed right.  - Mark Twain

Giggity

• Super Hero!
« Reply #713 on: April 18, 2013, 12:24:55 PM »
At some point in this thread, I am not quite sure where, someone mentioned back cover synopsis that seem to have been written by someone who never read the book. I just came across this one on our local version of Netflix (ok, not a book but too good to not share!):

Disney's The Princess and the Frog - In New Orleans, young princess Tiana looks for true love and must face the debutante Charlotte.

uh wut.

EDIT: nope, read it again, still saying uh wut.
Words mean things.

Cami

« Reply #714 on: April 18, 2013, 12:42:15 PM »
Current peeve: when authors mistake knowledge for a story. When I'm reading a novel, the history needs to be told in a way that it serves the story, not takes over from the plot. Similarly, I don't want to learn how to whittle or take a plane engine apart when I'm reading a romance novel. Case in point:

I just read a book that is supposed to be a romantic suspense novel and instead was nothing more than a way for the author to demonstrate the apparent fact that she took lessons in how to drive a boat on the open waters. I was so irritated by the point thatwhen  I got to page 167, I went back and counted the number of pages that consisted solely of instructions on how to drive a boat -- of 167 pages, over 100 were boat driving instructions.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #715 on: April 18, 2013, 12:45:36 PM »
Yeah.  Wow.  That's just...in a world of the internet when you have IMDB and Wikipedia, how can you get a synopsis so wrong?

I once had the oddest comment when I was reading a book about pirates.  Well I wasn't reading it at the time as I was working but it was sitting by my workstation since it wouldn't fit in my purse and I had brought it to read at lunch.

One woman saw it and said "You know pirates are bad people, right?" Since my book was not titled "How to become a pirate" I'm not sure why she felt the need to inform me of this. I think it was actually the Idiots/Dummies guide to Pirates that I was reading because I find the subject quite interesting, not because I was looking to become a pirate for pete's sake.   ::)

That's one thing I like about Kindles, people can't easily see what you're reading and make judgement calls.

lilfox

« Reply #716 on: April 18, 2013, 01:28:03 PM »
Yeah.  Wow.  That's just...in a world of the internet when you have IMDB and Wikipedia, how can you get a synopsis so wrong?

I once had the oddest comment when I was reading a book about pirates.  Well I wasn't reading it at the time as I was working but it was sitting by my workstation since it wouldn't fit in my purse and I had brought it to read at lunch.

One woman saw it and said "You know pirates are bad people, right?" Since my book was not titled "How to become a pirate" I'm not sure why she felt the need to inform me of this. I think it was actually the Idiots/Dummies guide to Pirates that I was reading because I find the subject quite interesting, not because I was looking to become a pirate for pete's sake.   ::)

That's one thing I like about Kindles, people can't easily see what you're reading and make judgement calls.

Heh, I can almost understand her thought since a lot of Dummies guides really are (or include) how-tos.  When she asked you that, did you say, "Yarr"?

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #717 on: April 18, 2013, 01:29:44 PM »

Heh, I can almost understand her thought since a lot of Dummies guides really are (or include) how-tos.  When she asked you that, did you say, "Yarr"?

LOL! I should have!

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #718 on: April 18, 2013, 01:49:26 PM »
Okay, just finished a book and was looking for something else to read in the next week as I wait for a new book to be released.  So I remembered that the Anne of Green Gables books are free on Amazon and looked it up and found this cover. 

Granted it's not a blonde coed but wow, talk about not reading the book.  This one's a few centuries before Anne.

http://www.amazon.com/Uplifting-Classics-Formatted-Specifically-ebook/dp/B00322OOI2/ref=sr_1_4?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1366307052&sr=1-4&keywords=anne+of+green+gables+kindle+free

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #719 on: April 18, 2013, 02:08:58 PM »
Wow! Really?