Author Topic: Reading/Book Pet Peeves  (Read 230019 times)

bansidhe

• The Menagerie
Re: Reading/Book Pet Peeves
« Reply #720 on: April 18, 2013, 02:46:02 PM »
Amazon suggested a Kindle book to me that sounded pretty interesting and was cheap, so I bought it. It was advertised as true stories from a doctor who specializes in infectious diseases, which is right up my alley. It turned out to be a compilation of said doctor's not-very-well-written blog posts, so a bit disappointing, but still some of them were interesting. However, the guy feels compelled to insert snide political commentary into a lot of the posts even though it has nothing to do with the subject he's talking about  - and that is seriously annoying. I hold the same political opinions he does, but they have no absolutely no place in what he's writing about.
Esan ozenki!

Arizona

nuit93

« Reply #721 on: April 18, 2013, 02:48:22 PM »
Okay, just finished a book and was looking for something else to read in the next week as I wait for a new book to be released.  So I remembered that the Anne of Green Gables books are free on Amazon and looked it up and found this cover. 

Granted it's not a blonde coed but wow, talk about not reading the book.  This one's a few centuries before Anne.

http://www.amazon.com/Uplifting-Classics-Formatted-Specifically-ebook/dp/B00322OOI2/ref=sr_1_4?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1366307052&sr=1-4&keywords=anne+of+green+gables+kindle+free

I get not reading the book...but could they at least watch the movie and get a rough idea of what the character is supposed to look like?

Library Dragon

« Reply #722 on: April 18, 2013, 05:35:35 PM »
The entire library staff is now cackling hysterically.  I blame the BAAAAAAD pirates.  Because, you know they're not nice.  ;) :P

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

amandaelizabeth

• Amanda's home based ece
« Reply #723 on: April 18, 2013, 07:42:34 PM »
I would have been tempted with

Arr  and now I will have to keelhaul you.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #724 on: April 18, 2013, 07:45:21 PM »
I would have been tempted with

Arr  and now I will have to keelhaul you.

Savvy?
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

amandaelizabeth

« Reply #725 on: April 18, 2013, 08:40:55 PM »
the pirate version of
"If I tell you I will have to kill you"

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #726 on: April 18, 2013, 08:43:21 PM »
the pirate version of
"If I tell you I will have to kill you"

That would be "Dead men tell no tales."
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

amandaelizabeth

« Reply #727 on: April 18, 2013, 08:51:22 PM »
but don't you need 15 men to do that - oh and a bottle of rum?

I am sure hr would have something to say about that!

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #728 on: April 18, 2013, 09:24:12 PM »
You need the rum to bribe HR to send you the 15 men.  See how it all works out?

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #729 on: April 19, 2013, 06:29:27 AM »
You need the rum to bribe HR to send you the 15 men.  See how it all works out?

As well as keep the crew happy to prevent a mutiny. :)

cabbageweevil

« Reply #730 on: April 19, 2013, 08:33:41 AM »
Amazon suggested a Kindle book to me that sounded pretty interesting and was cheap, so I bought it. It was advertised as true stories from a doctor who specializes in infectious diseases, which is right up my alley. It turned out to be a compilation of said doctor's not-very-well-written blog posts, so a bit disappointing, but still some of them were interesting. However, the guy feels compelled to insert snide political commentary into a lot of the posts even though it has nothing to do with the subject he's talking about  - and that is seriously annoying. I hold the same political opinions he does, but they have no absolutely no place in what he's writing about.
This wouldn't be the British doctor / writer / blogger Theodore Dalrymple (real name Anthony Daniels), would it? I find his outlook on the present-day world and society and their problems, so dark and despairing and condemnatory; that for years, I have completely avoided reading anything by him -- too great a temptation is fostered, toward committing suicide.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #731 on: April 19, 2013, 10:58:59 AM »
Actually, one of the most annoying modern problems is that so many "thinkers" who should be leading us to find solutions seem to prefer to sulk about how rotten the world is (with the implication that the rest of us should feel very, very guilty about it). Guilt solves nothing, and group guilt even less.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

cabbageweevil

« Reply #732 on: April 19, 2013, 07:29:18 PM »
The trite-but-true saying: "it's better to light a candle, than to curse the darkness."  One can't help feeling that some of these characters actually enjoy cursing the darkness -- though they would no doubt indignantly deny that.

Kendo_Bunny

• I'm inquisitive!
« Reply #733 on: April 20, 2013, 11:07:01 AM »
Okay, just finished a book and was looking for something else to read in the next week as I wait for a new book to be released.  So I remembered that the Anne of Green Gables books are free on Amazon and looked it up and found this cover. 

Granted it's not a blonde coed but wow, talk about not reading the book.  This one's a few centuries before Anne.

http://www.amazon.com/Uplifting-Classics-Formatted-Specifically-ebook/dp/B00322OOI2/ref=sr_1_4?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1366307052&sr=1-4&keywords=anne+of+green+gables+kindle+free

Guess they figured: "Anne of Something-or-Other... Anne of Cleves will do, right?"

Moralia

• That's just tacky, tacky, tacky!
« Reply #734 on: April 20, 2013, 08:41:12 PM »
I was looking at a table of books and noticed something that really annoys me. Book cover after book cover that reads "Bookname: A Novel".

Really?  You need to tell us that this book is "A Novel"?  I couldn't have guessed!

I can understand "Bookname: A Novel of Seriesname", but "A Novel"?  ::)