Author Topic: Reading/Book Pet Peeves  (Read 201268 times)

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
Re: Reading/Book Pet Peeves
« Reply #750 on: April 24, 2013, 04:09:17 PM »
This issue has been raised before.  I went to the library today and saw a book with an interesting description on the back cover.  Flipped through it, noticed there were no quotation marks, and put it right back on the shelf.  No thanks.  It's not creative, it's just annoying and pretentious.

That's one of the main reasons why I gave up on both "The Road" and "Blindness". I just couldn't stand it.

Somebody earlier mentioned writers of book jackets who obviously didn't read the book - I read one earlier this year where the blurb got the name of the main character wrong. Should have taken it as a sign - it was a horrible book through and through.

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #751 on: April 24, 2013, 05:06:38 PM »
I read several articles recently that said modern teens have no patience with 'Catcher in the Rye'. 

When I was a teen, this was THE novel of our generation.   I recently started reading it again. 

The modern teens are right.  Holden Caulfield is the sort of person you want to hit upside the head with a large salmon.   
Teens of MY generation, umpty-many years ago, thought the same thing.  Teachers seemed to think it was wonderful. ::)  I thought it was the most boring thing I ever tried to read.  As a matter of fact, I think it was the only assigned book where I gave up and just read the Cliff Notes.

(That teacher was also the most annoying one I've ever had.  Treated teens like kindergarteners.  "Now, children, take out your books and turn to page 382." in this syrupy sweet voice, slowly and clearly enunciated. GAH!)
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #752 on: April 24, 2013, 05:09:08 PM »
Reminds me of Prof. Umbridge of the Harry Potter books.  That was one of the main reasons I wanted to smack the character.  :P 
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

magicdomino

« Reply #753 on: April 24, 2013, 05:14:42 PM »
I read several articles recently that said modern teens have no patience with 'Catcher in the Rye'. 

When I was a teen, this was THE novel of our generation.   I recently started reading it again. 

The modern teens are right.  Holden Caulfield is the sort of person you want to hit upside the head with a large salmon.   
Teens of MY generation, umpty-many years ago, thought the same thing. 

1970's High School, and I had no sympathy for Holden Caulfield either. 

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #754 on: April 24, 2013, 05:17:31 PM »
I must admit that my response to Catcher in the Rye was, "So this is what all the fuss over? Holden seems a decent enough kid, hope he grows out of whatever funk he's in, but meh, I don't see anything here really startling."
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

MerryCat

« Reply #755 on: April 24, 2013, 06:54:32 PM »
I always figure that "X - a Novel" indicates that first there was "X - The Movie".

Reminds me of a book I saw the other day the probably belongs in the things that break your brain thread: The Bible - the book based on the movie. I found myself wondering, "hey, isn't there already a book that the movie was based on in the first place?"

Snowy Owl

« Reply #756 on: April 24, 2013, 07:02:52 PM »

1990s here and I had no sympathy for him.  I thought the book was as interesting as watching paint dry and completely and utterly pointless.  From what I could see Holden moaned a lot and nothing happened.  I thought things would be wonderfully improved if he actually stopped feeling self pitying and did something useful.   

I also had teachers who tried to convince me it was a wonderful work of literature. They failed.   
And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #757 on: April 24, 2013, 07:11:54 PM »

1990s here and I had no sympathy for him.  I thought the book was as interesting as watching paint dry and completely and utterly pointless.  From what I could see Holden moaned a lot and nothing happened.  I thought things would be wonderfully improved if he actually stopped feeling self pitying and did something useful.   

I also had teachers who tried to convince me it was a wonderful work of literature. They failed.   
Ah, yes, Literature.  I am firmly convinced that there is a list that English teachers choose their reading assignments from, almost all of them "Literature" that should have fallen by the wayside 100 years ago.  James Fenimore Cooper, for instance, with that appallingly-named hero, Natty Bumppo. Stupefying stuff like Silas Marner and books where nothing at all happened, like Goodbye, Mr. Chips.   Things that most people would never willingly read without being forced to.
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

Snowy Owl

« Reply #758 on: April 24, 2013, 07:19:43 PM »
Silas Marner I would disagree about.  I liked that as I thought the father-daughter relationship fascinating and loved the comment on relationships really interesting. Then again I really rate George Elliot as a social commentator and love the rich characterisation.  It also helped that I didn't have to study it, I read it for pleasure.  I think analysing books for study can take all the pleasure away from reading something. 

I would agree that a lot of the stuff one has to study as literature is deeply dull.  I had to endure Catcher in the Rye (tedious), Jude the Obscure (depressing) and Wuthering Heights (too long).  The only thing we studied that I actually liked was Pygmalion.   
And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once.

Friedrich Nietzsche

andi

« Reply #759 on: April 24, 2013, 08:33:18 PM »
Rereading "the great Gatsby" made me shake my head and go "what were they thinking?" - especially after seeing the preview for the new movie, the s*xual overtones and tension and illegal drinking and greed.  Who thoght that was good material for high school kids?

Dr. F.

« Reply #760 on: April 24, 2013, 08:35:45 PM »
I always figure that "X - a Novel" indicates that first there was "X - The Movie".

Reminds me of a book I saw the other day the probably belongs in the things that break your brain thread: The Bible - the book based on the movie. I found myself wondering, "hey, isn't there already a book that the movie was based on in the first place?"

My brain is certainly broken.

Library Dragon

« Reply #761 on: April 24, 2013, 11:33:09 PM »
Rereading "the great Gatsby" made me shake my head and go "what were they thinking?" - especially after seeing the preview for the new movie, the s*xual overtones and tension and illegal drinking and greed.  Who thoght that was good material for high school kids?

So true.  There is a great article titled "How Classics Create An Aliterate Society" (http://www.jstor.org/discover/10.2307/821305?uid=3739520&uid=2&uid=4&uid=3739256&sid=21102093246251) about teachers assigning the books they love that teens dislike/hate. 

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #762 on: April 25, 2013, 12:55:13 AM »

My brain is certainly broken.

I think I have to go lie down now - my brain hurts in so many ways.  On the other hand, the Amazon reviews are fantastic!

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #763 on: April 25, 2013, 01:45:47 AM »

Somebody earlier mentioned writers of book jackets who obviously didn't read the book - I read one earlier this year where the blurb got the name of the main character wrong. Should have taken it as a sign - it was a horrible book through and through.

And one of my favorite books as a kid had the main character's name spelled incorrectly. Still a good book.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #764 on: April 25, 2013, 06:47:34 AM »

And one of my favorite books as a kid had the main character's name spelled incorrectly. Still a good book.

How can a name be spelled incorrectly? I know four ways to spell "Karen" and five ways to spell "Eric", three ways to spell " Smith" and two ways to spell my last name, for instances. The common last syllable "-son" has three ways that I have seen used.

Unless it was inconsistent, it can't be wrong.