Author Topic: Reading/Book Pet Peeves  (Read 261096 times)

Redneck Gravy

Re: Reading/Book Pet Peeves
« Reply #780 on: April 25, 2013, 04:21:23 PM »
I am an avid reader and I grew up in a home with avid readers, however, I briefly lived with my bio mom and stepdad and neither of them are readers.  There were always tv guides around (with the crossword done) but I don't remember ever seeing other books or magazines. 

I was raised by my grandparents and when they died there were two book shelves filled with books to be sold.  When my mom died - there weren't ANY.

I don't hoard/save many books.  I have one bookshelf, if it gets full I clean it out some.  I trade at a used book store and through Amazon, I don't want my kids to have the mess I had to clean up, so I limit myself to one bookshelf for book storage.  I have to cull to keep it down to one enitre bookshelf but I force myself.

I have gone the opposite of my parents/grandparents - all hoarders to some degree.  I try not to save anything.  Photos go into albums, bills get filed, no extra paperwork on my desk.  It's really OCD but not the extreme kind.

faithlessone

« Reply #781 on: April 25, 2013, 04:23:04 PM »
I remember babysitting as a teen once. When I'd got the kids to bed, I went looking for a book to read, since the TV programming was looking dire, and I'd not brought one of my own.

There were none. In the entire house (at least, the parts baby-sitters could politely access, such as the living room) there were no books, other than a phone book, and the tv guide. To me, brought up in a house full of books, that was as strange as if there were no chairs, or no plates. I think it was the first time I realized that some people just don't read.

At least they have a tv guide.  A friend of the family has no reading material in their home.  No books, magazines, newspaper, etc.  As a reader, it felt really weird and off-balance to me.  This was before internet and e-readers so it's not about living a paperless life.

I know a couple like this. They don't have books, they don't buy magazines or newspapers, they don't even have cookbooks or anything like that.

Movies/TV, however, they have in abundance. Almost an entire wall of DVDs, blu-rays, even VHS cassettes. They have a 72 inch tv in the livingroom, with full cinema-style home entertainment system, a 30 inch one in the kitchen, and I'd guess they have a sizable TV in the bedroom too.

They think my family is weird for turning the dining room into a library, and for all of us reading all the time. It creeps me out!

squeakers

« Reply #782 on: April 25, 2013, 04:23:21 PM »
Oof. Just finished a Patricia Cornwell book, and there were some real howlers.

First of all she talked about 'bacterias'.

Then later on, there was a slightly throwaway comment about a colleague having died a few years back from smallpox. In case you're wondering when the book was set...1999.

The bizarre thing was that the forensics stuff had clearly been researched. The references to all things microbial came across as something she'd been told by a drunk in a bar.

The smallpox death was in one of the previous books (Unnatural Exposure) .  It was part of the plot so I won't say anything more than that.
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #783 on: April 25, 2013, 04:23:37 PM »
A standard text here is Of Mice And Men.  I found it unbearably depressing.

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #784 on: April 25, 2013, 04:31:27 PM »
Twik, I agree with you. I am starting to hate the term 'identify with' when talking about characters, as well. But then, I tend to like books with flawed characters who sometimes make bad decisions, so long as that's acknowledged by the text. I don't need to read solely about characters who would do exactly what I would. Sure, it's nice sometimes to read a book and see a moment where you think 'oh, yes, I have felt that way' but for me it's just as cool to read about a character who reacts in ways I never would. So long as the character makes sense (as in is consistent, not is logical) and is entertaining, that's much more important than them being somehow 'like me'.

This comment made me think of something that really used to irritate me about stories. I would get so frustrated because the protagonists did stupid things, not what I would have done in those situations (because of course I wouldn't do anything stupid!). I think it was a weird phase I was going through for several years in college. Anyway what finally happened was I read a book where I was really identifying strongly with the main character, she acted the way I would have acted in those situations, and it was all very satisfying... and then in the end, she kills her husband.  ??? :-\ :P

I think after that I tried to relax a little more.
~Lynn2000

mrs_deb

• I didn't expect THAT to happen!
« Reply #785 on: April 25, 2013, 05:16:17 PM »
Then later on, there was a slightly throwaway comment about a colleague having died a few years back from smallpox. In case you're wondering when the book was set...1999.

The smallpox death was in one of the previous books (Unnatural Exposure) .  It was part of the plot so I won't say anything more than that.

Ack.  http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=126606.msg2924072#msg2924072

squeakers

« Reply #786 on: April 25, 2013, 05:21:40 PM »

Ack.  http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=126606.msg2924072#msg2924072

Heh, yep.  All PC's books started to read the same to me.  Her non-ABC books that follow up on various things just felt off.  The characters just didn't sound the same.  Throw in one of those "you thought s/he was dead" plots and I stopped reading them.
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

mrs_deb

• I didn't expect THAT to happen!
« Reply #787 on: April 25, 2013, 05:34:52 PM »
I got upset with her when she killed off a Beloved Character and then discovered a few years later that Beloved Character wasn't really dead, just ...undercover... or something like that.  I wonder if she got such a pushback from Beloved Character's death that she had to resurrect him.  Either way, I washed my hands of the whole business :-).

squeakers

« Reply #788 on: April 25, 2013, 05:51:21 PM »
I got upset with her when she killed off a Beloved Character and then discovered a few years later that Beloved Character wasn't really dead, just ...undercover... or something like that.  I wonder if she got such a pushback from Beloved Character's death that she had to resurrect him.  Either way, I washed my hands of the whole business :-).

That was what I was referring to LOL.  Totally broke me out of that world.  That and the old cop guy just did not act the way he used to. 

HoneyBee42

« Reply #789 on: April 25, 2013, 08:17:07 PM »
I read several articles recently that said modern teens have no patience with 'Catcher in the Rye'. 

When I was a teen, this was THE novel of our generation.   I recently started reading it again. 

The modern teens are right.  Holden Caulfield is the sort of person you want to hit upside the head with a large salmon.   
Teens of MY generation, umpty-many years ago, thought the same thing. 

1970's High School, and I had no sympathy for Holden Caulfield either.

1990s here and I had no sympathy for him.  I thought the book was as interesting as watching paint dry and completely and utterly pointless.  From what I could see Holden moaned a lot and nothing happened.  I thought things would be wonderfully improved if he actually stopped feeling self pitying and did something useful.   

I also had teachers who tried to convince me it was a wonderful work of literature. They failed.   
Ah, yes, Literature.  I am firmly convinced that there is a list that English teachers choose their reading assignments from, almost all of them "Literature" that should have fallen by the wayside 100 years ago.  James Fenimore Cooper, for instance, with that appallingly-named hero, Natty Bumppo. Stupefying stuff like Silas Marner and books where nothing at all happened, like Goodbye, Mr. Chips.   Things that most people would never willingly read without being forced to.

That or they so over-analyze the minutiae that you entirely miss what the story is about.  I mean, seriously, when I was in high school (and I'm sure I've posted this before), one of the assigned novels was The Count of Monte Cristo--which I read in one day after it was handed out.  A good thing, too, or it might have been ruined, because if my exposure had only been the classwork on it, I would never have known that revenge was at all important to the story.  But then I thought at the time that my English teacher (who also taught French) chose the novels just so she could show off her perfect pronunciation of character names (we also read Ivanhoe and A Tale of Two Cities that year, and some other ones that I have utterly forgotten, but I'd probably remember if I came across them).

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #790 on: April 25, 2013, 09:27:32 PM »
I just remembered something because of the mentions of assigned books.  I loved to read and there were even some assigned books I enjoyed.  But my biggest pet peeve was "Do NOT read past chapter 8!!"

Now okay, I do get that they have their reasons, wanting the students to predict what will happen then find out what actually happened but I hated it as a kid. I'd have to force myself to put the book down, and would have a hard time not picking it back up later.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

SheltieMom

« Reply #791 on: April 25, 2013, 11:46:05 PM »
I would already be in trouble before I started. My brother was 4 years ahead of me, and he always brought his books home for me to read. There were never enough books in my house for me!
If Timmy had had a Sheltie, he never would have fallen in that well!

PeterM

« Reply #792 on: April 26, 2013, 12:57:49 AM »
A standard text here is Of Mice And Men.  I found it unbearably depressing.

Powerful stuff, though. And it's great to have around when teens come into the library desperately looking for one of the classics on their reading list, because it's short enough that they think it'll be a cakewalk. Then they actually read it.

Bluenomi

« Reply #793 on: April 26, 2013, 01:31:50 AM »
I just remembered something because of the mentions of assigned books.  I loved to read and there were even some assigned books I enjoyed.  But my biggest pet peeve was "Do NOT read past chapter 8!!"

Now okay, I do get that they have their reasons, wanting the students to predict what will happen then find out what actually happened but I hated it as a kid. I'd have to force myself to put the book down, and would have a hard time not picking it back up later.

I just read the whole thing and pretended to guess  ;D I'd read the whole book in a night at that age so restricting myself to a few chapters was impossible. I usually wanted to get the school book over and done with os I could get back to the good stuff!

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #794 on: April 26, 2013, 09:05:38 AM »

I used to get in trouble in elementary school because I would read ahead in the literature textbook. Then I got to high school, and did the same thing. It drove my teachers nuts when we were going to read one excerpt from a novel, and I would say "yeah, this says that, but if you keep reading, it changed to this and that thing" and get them totally off track.