Author Topic: Reading/Book Pet Peeves  (Read 223800 times)

Library Dragon

Re: Reading/Book Pet Peeves
« Reply #870 on: April 30, 2013, 10:35:54 PM »
Oh. This is actually a big one for me.

Movie/ TV show tie in covers. I really, really hate them. Particularly when it's a book that had nice artwork to begin with. I don't like having the movie version of a character forced in to my head...I might have a totally different view of this person. They fairly recently did this for the Sword of Truth series, and it was worse than usual because the show had almost nothing to do with the books.

POD!  And if the actors have no physical resemblance to the book characters it's jarring.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

snowflake

« Reply #871 on: May 01, 2013, 12:38:17 PM »
On Topic:
The trends in publishing to have covers look like Twilight, 50 Shades, etc.  The blurb on the back makes sound similar too. It may be nothing like those books, but the publishers are willing to take your money and not apologize later.
I was in the bargain bookstore yesterday that had a copy of a book like that. It was Tess of the D'Urbervilles and the cover in question had a strawberry on it. Having read the book I can not figure out what a strawberry has to do with the story. It also had some silly tag line that not all angels are good. It seemed misleading and odd.

It has been awhile since I read it, but didn't Tess' seducing cousin give her strawberries?  Her accepting them was supposed to be this symbolic thing of her letting him into their pants.

And the "Angel" is her husband who dumps her because of the sexual double-standard.

Not irrelevant.  But anyone who is expecting Hardy to be all about romance and not about being downtrodden by double-standards be very disappointed.  There is no desperate desire for eternity in Hardy.  They just have sex, ruin their lives, and die. 

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #872 on: May 01, 2013, 02:54:27 PM »
Oh. This is actually a big one for me.

Movie/ TV show tie in covers. I really, really hate them.

I actually kind of like those. My favourite Anne-covers are the Megan Follows ones :)

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #873 on: May 01, 2013, 02:57:45 PM »
Well she did make for a very good Anne! :)
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #874 on: May 01, 2013, 03:04:45 PM »
The best :) :) :)

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

Snowy Owl

« Reply #875 on: May 01, 2013, 07:08:22 PM »
But anyone who is expecting Hardy to be all about romance and not about being downtrodden by double-standards be very disappointed.  There is no desperate desire for eternity in Hardy.  They just have sex, ruin their lives, and die.

This is a perfect description of Hardy which I must say I consider a wholly depressing and unappealing writing style.  I hated studying him at school because he could suck the joy out of anything  :)
And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #876 on: May 02, 2013, 09:05:14 AM »
But anyone who is expecting Hardy to be all about romance and not about being downtrodden by double-standards be very disappointed.  There is no desperate desire for eternity in Hardy.  They just have sex, ruin their lives, and die.

This is a perfect description of Hardy which I must say I consider a wholly depressing and unappealing writing style.  I hated studying him at school because he could suck the joy out of anything  :)

Exponential ditto.  Especially Jude the Obscure.

snowflake

« Reply #877 on: May 02, 2013, 02:49:29 PM »

Exponential ditto.  Especially Jude the Obscure.

I read Jude the Obscure on vacation once.  I don't know what I was thinking other than that I ran to the library after starting to pack too late and saying, "Hey, here's a classic I haven't read yet!"  This was before ebooks were a thing so I really had to go to the library and rummage to get my summer reading.  I was the only person sobbing on the beach at Kona.  It was really pathetic.

Ereine

« Reply #878 on: May 03, 2013, 02:12:37 AM »
My adventures with free Kindle books has lead me to a pretty strange one. In some ways it isn't as bad as some of the others and it doesn't seem to take history very seriously and maybe it's set n some other world as it's paranormal but it's getting quite amusing in its inaccuracies. I think that it's set in 14th century Scotland, early 15th century at the latest but they eat potatoes. The hero  thinks that a warrior telegraphed his movements. He's also a sort of time travelling ancient druid who laments the quality of science in Middle Ages, in his time they knew everything there was to know about atoms and northern lights for example. He can't understand how people could have forgotten all that when Copernicus (born in 1473) knew about atoms a thousand years ago. I guess Copernicus sounds like an Ancient Greece type of name to the author?

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #879 on: May 04, 2013, 02:52:12 AM »
My adventures with free Kindle books has lead me to a pretty strange one. In some ways it isn't as bad as some of the others and it doesn't seem to take history very seriously and maybe it's set n some other world as it's paranormal but it's getting quite amusing in its inaccuracies. I think that it's set in 14th century Scotland, early 15th century at the latest but they eat potatoes. The hero  thinks that a warrior telegraphed his movements. He's also a sort of time travelling ancient druid who laments the quality of science in Middle Ages, in his time they knew everything there was to know about atoms and northern lights for example. He can't understand how people could have forgotten all that when Copernicus (born in 1473) knew about atoms a thousand years ago. I guess Copernicus sounds like an Ancient Greece type of name to the author?

Maybe he was referencing Fred Copernicus.  You know, the guy that lived at 1313 Drachma Lane and so great at science?

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #880 on: May 04, 2013, 07:00:24 PM »

When my family visited Westminster Abbey, my father took a malicious but deep-seated delight in walking over Thomas Hardy's grave. I think he jumped on it just a little.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

stargazer

• Super Hero!
« Reply #881 on: May 07, 2013, 04:20:38 PM »
I've wondered if James Patterson is among the authors that has given up (or not listened to) their editor.  I used to love him but with books like Cross Country (which was an Alex Cross book so I was prepared to love it - it was AWFUL) and Final Warning (if I wanted a lecture I would go to class plus it was a terrible ending to that series) I am having my doubts. 

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #882 on: May 07, 2013, 04:46:41 PM »
I used to enjoy his books as well but have been getting the same feeling that he really has stopped caring.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #883 on: May 07, 2013, 05:43:44 PM »
I used to enjoy his books as well but have been getting the same feeling that he really has stopped caring.

I think he's stopped writing his own books a long time ago.

(Okay, he does still write all the time, but a big portion of the nitty gritty is done by co-authors nowadays!)

Library Dragon

« Reply #884 on: May 07, 2013, 06:43:28 PM »
I'm convinced Patterson has a squad of writers in his basement churning out books.  This makes any book with James Patterson's name on it a real hit or miss proposition.  Mary, Mary was so horrendous I couldn't finish it. 

I was placing orders for upcoming books and was surprised that Catherine Coulter and J.T. Ellison are pairing for a book out in September.  J.T. has been nurtured by some "big names" in mystery/thriller publishing and has a couple of successful series.  I'm interested in seeing where this goes. 

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter