Author Topic: Reading/Book Pet Peeves  (Read 259655 times)

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
Re: Reading/Book Pet Peeves
« Reply #915 on: May 09, 2013, 10:39:56 PM »
The current discussion reminds me of another peeve.  When books continue to get cranked out after the real author passed away.  Perhaps the first few books were already mostly written, but when they still keep coming decades later... ::)

How stupid do publishers think the public is?  And what benefit is there to being a ghost writer?

jmarvellous

« Reply #916 on: May 09, 2013, 10:42:52 PM »
The current discussion reminds me of another peeve.  When books continue to get cranked out after the real author passed away.  Perhaps the first few books were already mostly written, but when they still keep coming decades later... ::)

How stupid do publishers think the public is?  And what benefit is there to being a ghost writer?

I have a couple of acquaintances who are ghostwriters. The benefit is ... a full-time job with benefits. There are plenty of people who write for a living, not for fame (just like lots of writers whose name is on their work who never get "famous"). It's not cool that other people might get fame/credit/wealth because of it, but that's what their job is.

Olympia

« Reply #917 on: May 11, 2013, 11:35:54 AM »
It's bad when a writer is tired of a series and has to keep writing it, but there are also the authors who think they're still writing good books, and honestly, they're not. I like mysteries, so my big example of this is Joanne Fluke's Hannah Swenson series. I haven't been able to bring myself to read the last couple of books, because the downhill slide had gotten so bad.

The problem is that they don't have to keep writing it. They can stop. Yes, they'll have to face the disappointment of their fans, but that's what comes with fame. Sadly, it sounds like Harris, Patterson, Fluke, Lackey and the rest are lacking in spines -- they're afraid of disappointing their fans and won't stop.

I think sometimes there's a contractual obligation, so in that case they do have to stop. Fluke, I think, doesn't realize that she jumped the shark about half a dozen books back.

mlogica

« Reply #918 on: May 12, 2013, 07:01:53 AM »
In addition to a bunch of stuff already mentioned, there is another character issue along the lines of "Mary Sue" (don't know if it also has a name) that I find really offputting. It's when the protagonist, or sometimes every major character, is just so, so, so quirky and unique.  As in "lives in a treehouse and relies on a unicycle for transportation and wears deliberately mismatched vintage clothes and makes a living writing poetry that he/she sells it at subway entrances while singing obscure opera selections and was raised in a commune in Alaska and..."  Okay, I'm exaggerating, but it does get tiring.  Interesting characters are one of the great things about fiction, but I can only suspend a certain amount of disbelief.

And this isn't so much a pet peeve as a generalized dislike:  magic realism and similar story-telling mechanisms that aren't disclosed upfront.  A couple of months ago I picked up a book that looked interesting:  set in late 19th or early 20th century, family living on semi-isolated estate has to shelter some victims of a train wreck, someone from the mother's past turns up with a secret that could blow the family apart...it sounded promising.  Then it started to devolve into the supernatural, which had not been hinted at in any of the plot descriptions, and I felt quite cheated.  If I wanted to read a ghost(ish) story, I'd have picked one.

PeterM

« Reply #919 on: May 12, 2013, 08:33:59 AM »
In addition to a bunch of stuff already mentioned, there is another character issue along the lines of "Mary Sue" (don't know if it also has a name) that I find really offputting. It's when the protagonist, or sometimes every major character, is just so, so, so quirky and unique.  As in "lives in a treehouse and relies on a unicycle for transportation and wears deliberately mismatched vintage clothes and makes a living writing poetry that he/she sells it at subway entrances while singing obscure opera selections and was raised in a commune in Alaska and..."  Okay, I'm exaggerating, but it does get tiring.  Interesting characters are one of the great things about fiction, but I can only suspend a certain amount of disbelief.

I know what you mean, but I'll add that even one quirky characteristic can turn me off if it's bad enough. I was reading a sci-fi book where the hero was a manly scientist/engineer who flouted convention and went his own way. No problem so far, that's half the classic sci-fi out there, though it's more rare these days. But at one point he gets hurt, not even badly, but checks himself out of the hospital against medical advice. Because as far as he's concerned, if doctors can't immediately fix what's wrong with you or replace a damaged bit in your body the way a mechanic replaces parts in an engine they're not really scientists at all and he doesn't have time for them.

Okay, then, close the book and return it to the library. I have no interest in reading about complete and utter morons, thanks much.

Barney girl

« Reply #920 on: May 12, 2013, 02:25:46 PM »

And this isn't so much a pet peeve as a generalized dislike:  magic realism and similar story-telling mechanisms that aren't disclosed upfront.  A couple of months ago I picked up a book that looked interesting:  set in late 19th or early 20th century, family living on semi-isolated estate has to shelter some victims of a train wreck, someone from the mother's past turns up with a secret that could blow the family apart...it sounded promising.  Then it started to devolve into the supernatural, which had not been hinted at in any of the plot descriptions, and I felt quite cheated.  If I wanted to read a ghost(ish) story, I'd have picked one.

Thank you, I'd seen that book and had wondered about buying it, but I'm glad I didn't.

mlogica

« Reply #921 on: May 12, 2013, 04:36:56 PM »

Thank you, I'd seen that book and had wondered about buying it, but I'm glad I didn't.

Glad you saved the money!  Fortunately for me, I got the book for nothing via the informal lending library at my gym so wasn't out any $$ for the (dis)pleasure.

Yarnspinner

« Reply #922 on: May 12, 2013, 05:09:30 PM »

Glad you saved the money!  Fortunately for me, I got the book for nothing via the informal lending library at my gym so wasn't out any $$ for the (dis)pleasure.

Okay, I am someone who LIKES magical realism and a vague wash of the supernatural in my reading...so I have to know which book this is.  I'm going to ask up front--is it The Accursed by Oates?That is on my reading list.  But if not, I would love to know the title.  Thank you!

mlogica

« Reply #923 on: May 12, 2013, 05:47:14 PM »
Okay, I am someone who LIKES magical realism and a vague wash of the supernatural in my reading...so I have to know which book this is.  I'm going to ask up front--is it The Accursed by Oates?That is on my reading list.  But if not, I would love to know the title.  Thank you!

It's not by Oates, and I'm sorry, but I do not have recall of the title.  I was visiting my family in another province and left the book there (with full disclosure!).  Will try to remember to ask about the title next time I'm in touch.

FTR, I sometimes like a bit of the supernatural in my reading as well.  I just like to know that's what I'm getting. :)

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #924 on: May 12, 2013, 05:48:22 PM »

It's not by Oates, and I'm sorry, but I do not have recall of the title.  I was visiting my family in another province and left the book there (with full disclosure!).  Will try to remember to ask about the title next time I'm in touch.

FTR, I sometimes like a bit of the supernatural in my reading as well.  I just like to know that's what I'm getting. :)

Once you figure it out I would love to know the title too.

cabbagegirl28

• violinp's my sister :)
« Reply #925 on: May 12, 2013, 06:34:38 PM »
Is it The Uninvited Guests by Sadie Jones? I googled some of the details, and that novel sounds pretty similar to the description.

Vita brevis, ars longa

Yarnspinner

« Reply #926 on: May 12, 2013, 06:40:19 PM »

That's okay!  If you find out, just let us know.  I DO understand about starting a book under the impression you are getting one thing and find out it is something else completely.  I know I have started what I believed were true supernatural/horror novels only to discover half way through that it's the old aliens from outer space bait and switcheroo. 

mlogica

« Reply #927 on: May 12, 2013, 08:28:18 PM »
Is it The Uninvited Guests by Sadie Jones? I googled some of the details, and that novel sounds pretty similar to the description.
Yes, that's it!  Thanks for playing detective!

Morticia

• Stepmonster's Travels
« Reply #928 on: May 12, 2013, 09:46:19 PM »
I may have mentioned before that plot lines involving people being wrongfully accused are a trigger for me. The last Sookie Stackhouse has just been released, and according to the synopsis, I won't be able to read it.  Can someone who does please pm me and let me know if she ends up happily ever after, and with whom?
Now our mom says she's changed her mind about the devil's brood, they may be evil so she thinks, but at least they're never rude...
                                        -- Big Rude Jake

My travel blog: http://www.stepmonster.ca

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #929 on: May 12, 2013, 10:34:35 PM »
I may have mentioned before that plot lines involving people being wrongfully accused are a trigger for me. The last Sookie Stackhouse has just been released, and according to the synopsis, I won't be able to read it.  Can someone who does please pm me and let me know if she ends up happily ever after, and with whom?

You don't need a pm for that. Just read all of the one star reviews! That will answer those questions pretty quickly.